Sponsored by:

I'm torn between the F-Type R and the AM V8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Fugly on the racecar, as well.
I have no problems with race inspired livery on street cars (e.g., the martini racing livery on porsches). But yea, the AM lip stick is ugly, IMO.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

In real life the lipstick looks fantastic. It doesn't look as impressive on a screen.

As a previous AM V8 owner I can tell you that the F-Type is a whole lot more car. If you are interested in performance it is quicker, louder, more fun to shift gears with and just overall more aggressive. I believe the GT still has the single-clutch gearbox?

The AM exterior styling is classic but the GT version lacks something for me. My V8 interior however was a bit more plush than my F-Type but not by much.

The F-Type R in either vert or coupe is a breathtaking car. Just get it lowered on springs when you get it and it looks perfect. I'd personally wait for the next batch of Aston Martins to see what they come up with and get the Jag in the interim.

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (05-20-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg
In real life the lipstick looks fantastic. It doesn't look as impressive on a screen.
That's esentially true of [any] our F-Type's as well. NOT ONE PHOTO HAS OR CAN DO JUSTICE TO SEEING IT IN PERSON. In my 'capitalized' opinion.

So I'm quite sure it looks better in person...but I still don't want it.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm also a fan of the GT's lipstick especially the green and yellow. Looks unique.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

As a previous AM V8 owner I can tell you that the F-Type is a whole lot more car. If you are interested in performance it is quicker, louder, more fun to shift gears with and just overall more aggressive. I believe the GT still has the single-clutch gearbox?

The AM exterior styling is classic but the GT version lacks something for me. My V8 interior however was a bit more plush than my F-Type but not by much
I wouldn't get the single clutch auto, would only get the manual. It's really apples and oranges, between the Jag and the Aston.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I'm also a fan of the GT's lipstick especially the green and yellow. Looks unique.
I really like the Green, it's the only GT color I like. The Yellow accent package is around $3200, crazy.

The R, it's hard to decide, maybe Blue, IR Red or one of the Grays, any of those with the Red interior package.

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 05-19-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=SoCalJagS;1231376]I'm torn between the Jag and the Aston Martin. I know the F-Type is faster, louder, more advanced. The Vantage is slower, not as loud (still sounds nice), and a 10 year old car. But I'm still tempted to go with the GT. I'd like to hear your opinions?

/QUOTE]

The Aston Martin Vantage, love the car; it's classic, exotic, and old like me. Doesn't change which is great. Why, with that gorgeous design. Love the interior too, all leather, high quality leather, and perfectly laid out. I even think the F-Type emulates it a little in theme. A car to desire and I admire those that have one. It's for sure a car to be seen in, or noticed, if you are into that kind of thing. What great promise.

I took a used 2007 Vantage V8 for a drive recently. (LynxFX told me he took that same car for a drive shortly before I did.) It's well kept inside and out. I had an hour and a half with the car; but only 45 minutes on the road. I couldn't a find a blem on it, but I would have spent more time with it if I were more serious. After the test drive I wasn't.

I enjoyed the short test drive very much, but even getting started I could never get the seat and steering wheel adjusted properly. I'm quite short and have to get the seat close enough to get the clutch down, but then the steering wheel is too close. I could not get to straight out arms position. The clutch spring was quite a chore to work, and the stick was quite notchy and heavy. The steering is really a lot of work and heavy at slow speeds, but my what a great feel at 40+ mph, where it is designed to operate; I loved it at speed. The engine makes a lot of noise, but doesn't have the "go" at low RPMs, a bit of a surprize to me. At 3500 RPMs it comes into it's own. After 45 minutes I was ready to get out of the car; I was tired from all the work. I wouldn't even want to think about driving it in town; too much work and effort. I could not see me ever being fully comfortable in driving that car and it beat me up; but I'd still love to own it. So much promise, but unfulfilled. It's a younger man's car.

The F-Type elicits many of the same emotions as AM when you see it. I could easily get the seats and steering wheel to the right position for me. The cockpit felt a little tighter to me than an AM. I immediately felt like hand-in-glove, and perfectly comfortable. By the time I drove off the dealer lot, I said, wow the car just feels "right" from the start. The supercharged engine makes power from very low RPMs, the steering is great in weight and is positive in touch at low speeds and precise at all speeds; if it's electric, so be it. Jaguar got this one right. Could they get it better? maybe, but I don't care. This is great, and does all things well. I drove it for an hour on the highway, on curvy roads, on city streets with stoplights. You know what? I didn't want to get out of the car, and I wasn't tired at all. I want the F-Type.

This is probably the last car I will ever buy. I want it all "to have and to hold" (don't tell me wife): gorgeous looks, goes like hell, elicits emotion, want to be seen in, a Sunday afternoon drive, a testy Colorado mountain road, rally with friends, to take on a long vacation trip (I checked the boot with our bags, and yes, we can get what we need in it.) to take my grandson for a drive in, and yes, to town to get milk. It's a car I'd look for reason to drive, any old reason will do. You guys are way ahead of me, why didn't I look at it sooner.

The following 3 users liked this post by mjm3457:
SillyPuppy (08-08-2017), SoCalJagS (05-20-2015), TR64ever (03-12-2016)
Old 05-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

You definitely made the obvious and correct choice between those two cars. Congrats!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Like I've said before; ONE TEST DRIVE AND IT'S ALL OVER BUT THE SIGNING.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mjm3457

The Aston Martin Vantage, love the car; it's classic, exotic, and old like me. Doesn't change which is great. Why, with that gorgeous design. Love the interior too, all leather, high quality leather, and perfectly laid out. I even think the F-Type emulates it a little in theme. A car to desire and I admire those that have one. It's for sure a car to be seen in, or noticed, if you are into that kind of thing. What great promise.

I took a used 2007 Vantage V8 for a drive recently. (LynxFX told me he took that same car for a drive shortly before I did.) It's well kept inside and out. I had an hour and a half with the car; but only 45 minutes on the road. I couldn't a find a blem on it, but I would have spent more time with it if I were more serious. After the test drive I wasn't.

I enjoyed the short test drive very much, but even getting started I could never get the seat and steering wheel adjusted properly. I'm quite short and have to get the seat close enough to get the clutch down, but then the steering wheel is too close. I could not get to straight out arms position. The clutch spring was quite a chore to work, and the stick was quite notchy and heavy. The steering is really a lot of work and heavy at slow speeds, but my what a great feel at 40+ mph, where it is designed to operate; I loved it at speed. The engine makes a lot of noise, but doesn't have the "go" at low RPMs, a bit of a surprize to me. At 3500 RPMs it comes into it's own. After 45 minutes I was ready to get out of the car; I was tired from all the work. I wouldn't even want to think about driving it in town; too much work and effort. I could not see me ever being fully comfortable in driving that car and it beat me up; but I'd still love to own it. So much promise, but unfulfilled. It's a younger man's car.

The F-Type elicits many of the same emotions as AM when you see it. I could easily get the seats and steering wheel to the right position for me. The cockpit felt a little tighter to me than an AM. I immediately felt like hand-in-glove, and perfectly comfortable. By the time I drove off the dealer lot, I said, wow the car just feels "right" from the start. The supercharged engine makes power from very low RPMs, the steering is great in weight and is positive in touch at low speeds and precise at all speeds; if it's electric, so be it. Jaguar got this one right. Could they get it better? maybe, but I don't care. This is great, and does all things well. I drove it for an hour on the highway, on curvy roads, on city streets with stoplights. You know what? I didn't want to get out of the car, and I wasn't tired at all. I want the F-Type.

This is probably the last car I will ever buy. I want it all "to have and to hold" (don't tell me wife): gorgeous looks, goes like hell, elicits emotion, want to be seen in, a Sunday afternoon drive, a testy Colorado mountain road, rally with friends, to take on a long vacation trip (I checked the boot with our bags, and yes, we can get what we need in it.) to take my grandson for a drive in, and yes, to town to get milk. It's a car I'd look for reason to drive, any old reason will do. You guys are way ahead of me, why didn't I look at it sooner.
Thank you for the wonderful write up.

I haven't driven the Vantage in years, last time was back in 2008 at a driving event put on by Aston Martin. It was a nice, about 15 miles or so of city, freeway and mountain road driving combined. I did love the car at the time, I do remember the car's exhaust didn't really open open up until about 4000 rpm back then and it maybe not as powerful as I had thought it would be.

The one thing I do love about the F type R is the sound even at low rpm's, it can't be beat.

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 05-20-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Thank you for the wonderful write up.

I haven't driven the Vantage in years, last time was back in 2008 at a driving event put on by Aston Martin. It was a nice, about 15 miles or so of city, freeway and mountain road driving combined. I did love the car at the time, I do remember the car's exhaust didn't really open open up until about 4000 rpm back then and it maybe not as powerful as I had thought it would be.

The one thing I do love about the F type R is the sound even at low rpm's, it can't be beat.
Dude. I don't mean to appear disingenuous but given your forum name and the fact you are posting this tells me you have already decided on the F-Type and are merely seeking validation from a bunch of car enthusiast strangers. However, this is a fairly futile thread since nobody here that owns an F-Type is going to tell you to buy an Aston Martin that is technically inferior. Why don't you get the best of both worlds and buy a green F-Type and wrap the mouth and body with yellow/orange so it has the same aesthetic as the Aston?. Shouldn't cost you more than $5k with a reputable car wrap detailer. My preference is for one of the 'paint is dead' affiliates: Paint is Dead | Killing it Daily

They do stuff like this:

Last edited by alexg; 05-21-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:44 AM

Dude. I don't mean to appear disingenuous but given your forum name and the fact you are posting this tells me you have already decided on the F-Type and are merely seeking validation from a bunch of car enthusiast strangers. However, this is a fairly futile thread since nobody here that owns an F-Type is going to tell you to buy an Aston Martin that is technically inferior. Why don't you get the best of both worlds and buy a green F-Type and wrap the mouth and body with yellow/orange so it has the same aesthetic as the Aston?. Shouldn't cost you more than $5k with a reputable car wrap detailer. My preference is for one of the 'paint is dead' affiliates: Paint is Dead | Killing it Daily

They do stuff like this:

This is a joke right?

Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 PM

Decision made, purchasing Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT 6 speed manual.

After GT test drive, the F Type never really made it back on the list. Something about the F Type just couldn't compete with the near perfect lines and proportions of the Vantage. Not even the 550 hp nor the snap, crackle and pop exhaust.

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 01-10-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Good decision my man!! It's the craftsmanship that goes into an Aston Martin that makes them what they are. Quality will never go out of style.

SoCalJagS (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
Good decision my man!! It's the craftsmanship that goes into an Aston Martin that makes them what they are. Quality will never go out of style.
Thank you, I appreciate it, I am excited about it. I won't have till next week sometime, so I will post a pic when I get it.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not sure any English car is built with a solid understanding of the word quality. The Aston has its own interior design issues and reliability issues. As I've said before though, I love the looks of the vantage, and completely understand someone preferring it to the f type, especially as manual transmission v8.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by hardwired
I'm not sure any English car is built with a solid understanding of the word quality. The Aston has its own interior design issues and reliability issues. As I've said before though, I love the looks of the vantage, and completely understand someone preferring it to the f type, especially as manual transmission v8.
I understand what your saying, but by quality I was refering to the fact that, for instance, the Leather interiors are hand crafted by highly skilled Sewers with years of experience, not by a CNC sewing machine for instance, and that's only one example.

I'm English and from the auto industry by the way, so I know what it takes to build something like an Aston Martin.

SoCalJagS (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 11:23 PM

I understand what your saying, but by quality I was refering to the fact that, for instance, the Leather interiors are hand crafted by highly skilled Sewers with years of experience, not by a CNC sewing machine for instance, and that's only one example.

I'm English and from the auto industry by the way, so I know what it takes to build something like an Aston Martin.
I feel the design proportions are almost as perfect as they can be inside and out. The design looks as good today as it did 10 years ago. You don't see many timeless designs like the Aston Vantage.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
I feel the design proportions are almost as perfect as they can be inside and out. The design looks as good today as it did 10 years ago. You don't see many timeless designs like the Aston Vantage.
I agree. Plus as the years go by, the design will never be referred to as "dated" it will be referred to as Classic.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:56 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmm, now I feel a bit bad about what I said 😅. I did mean it though, so I'm not gonna take it back. What I will do is say another thing I believe. Every culture has good things they are known for, so while I feel your people's craftsmanship can be lacking in reliability, it has that panache that makes up for it.

Quick Reply: I'm torn between the F-Type R and the AM V8 GT