F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment Touchscreen Suddently Turned Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Infotainment Touchscreen Suddently Turned Off

I was happily driving and listening to the radio when the infotainment touchscreen suddenly turned itself off. I pressed on the screen, turn the volume up and down... but it remained dark, turned off. After driving another 10mn or so, it turned itself back on, without any radio. I pressed for the radio and instead of giving me sound, it turned itself off again... to re-boot (with the Jaguar logo) a few minutes later.

Weird stuff. Has this happened to any of you?

Old 11-15-2018, 08:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I've had some anomalies with ICTP on my 2018 XE - had one hard lock-up, that didn't resolve it self until the car powered down 10 min after I shut it off. And occasional reboots when I start the car, as another member has discussed. I'm hopeful that the software upgrade will fix these issues. There was one available when I bought the car, but it didn't get installed.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Interesting. For a period of about a month my system would reboot itself every 30 minutes (not completly but the Nav and Phone connection) during any trip I took that was over an hour. Never could figure out why and as mysteriously as it started it stopped doing it several months ago with no reoccurrence since. Since I had nothing done to refresh the software and as far as I know JLR doesn't have the capability to update over the air for the 14's I am just chalking it up to typical quirky Britishness. Yours may end up self correcting as well. If not a software refresh by the dealer should fix it. A friends FPace had a similar problem a few days after he got it. Dealer refreshed the software and no problem since.

The following users liked this post:
Brock (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that just once. It’s a 2018 R.

Last edited by markjord; 11-16-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by markjord
Mine did that just once. It’s a 2018 R. I think it’s known to Jaguar. I asked them to stick CarPlay on mine and the service guy wrote “screen went blank” on the job card. I asked why he’d written that. Was he clairvoyant? He replied that it’s something that happens and this way I get the upgrade to the CarPlay version free under warranty.
Fraud anyone?

Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not at all. It did go blank and needed a new part.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did anyone ever figure out what they were replacing/updating to fix this? Mine just did this I was driving today, infotainment shut off, climate, steering wheel controls, mirror controls. Got the car parked and turned it off. Went in to lunch came back out and the key fob had no control over anything and car would not turn on. I had to unhook the battery for an hour then it worked (initially tried unhooking the battery for 5 min, that did not work).

Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ntbrinkl
Did anyone ever figure out what they were replacing/updating to fix this? Mine just did this I was driving today, infotainment shut off, climate, steering wheel controls, mirror controls. Got the car parked and turned it off. Went in to lunch came back out and the key fob had no control over anything and car would not turn on. I had to unhook the battery for an hour then it worked (initially tried unhooking the battery for 5 min, that did not work).
It has not happened to me again, so I never followed up... knock on wood! At least I could drive my car normally, just without the infotainment screen.... What you are describing is scary. Let us know if you find out what's going on, thanks.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

This happened to me a few times, and I traced it to a loose battery terminal connection. The pinch bolt on the clamp was tight, but bottomed out so it wasn't really clamping the post.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 AM

Took it to the dealer they couldn’t figure anything out. Traced half the wires then went home for the weekend came back and they couldn’t figure out the other half because it wouldn’t act up again. They updated the infotainment system.

Anyone no what this means:
Right before the stuff shuts down the tire pressure light will flash fairly fast for 5-10 seconds then everything goes out.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:05 PM

Any help? Back at the dealer. I took it home Thursday because they couldn't get it to act up. I get on the road 7-8 minutes and the system shuts down. Bring it back by the next day while it's acting up and of course as soon as I park it in front of the dealer bay it starts working again. They said they can't diagnose it if it's not currently acting up on them.

This is a pain. Cars been in the shop for a while.Dealer is no help.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Any help? Back at the dealer. I took it home Thursday because they couldn't get it to act up. I get on the road 7-8 minutes and the system shuts down. Bring it back by the next day while it's acting up and of course as soon as I park it in front of the dealer bay it starts working again. They said they can't diagnose it if it's not currently acting up on them.

This is a pain. Cars been in the shop for a while.Dealer is no help.
Allow one of the techs to take the car home overnight to experience the blackout.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:20 AM

They've seen it act up while they were driving and I have videos for them. The problem is everytime they get it back to the shop it will cut back on. I think they just want it acting up so they can go plug a volt meter in the wiring harness some how and see whats not getting power. Also let say I'm going down the road at 65 it might be acting up. But then I get up and drive for a few minutes at 85 it comes back on. Almost like it's putting more power into the system and the slightly higher revs.

Originally Posted by Unhingd

Allow one of the techs to take the car home overnight to experience the blackout.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

They've seen it act up while they were driving and I have videos for them. The problem is everytime they get it back to the shop it will cut back on. I think they just want it acting up so they can go plug a volt meter in the wiring harness some how and see whats not getting power. Also let say I'm going down the road at 65 it might be acting up. But then I get up and drive for a few minutes at 85 it comes back on. Almost like it's putting more power into the system and the slightly higher revs.
Next time it acts up, try revving the engine without changing road speed. If it comes back on, it may indicate excessive resistance in the harness or associated connectors.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-23-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:39 AM

UPDATE:

After going round and round with the dealer I finally got them to spend some time on the car.
Problems:
"medium speed can bus (wire)" shorting to ground. Under the passenger side carpet there was a bracket that wore a small hole into that wire. Every time the car made the wire move and bump the bracket it would short out the system.
"Disconnected the C33L and was able to isolate fault between C33L and C3BB. removed passenger side carpet and inspected. Found MS can bus high wire going to AC control module shorting against carpet support bracket."

Hopefully it is officially fixed and I can enjoy the car for a while now.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me on my brand new 2019 F type convertible at 297 miles. After a difficult time getting Jag to even take a look at the problem (infotainnment goes blank and so does A/C, cameras, warning system). They "relented" by telling me to bring it in. Sat for one day before they took a look. They said a program upgrade should do the trick - and they were wrong. They then hooked it up to a computer, and despite seeing the problem return continuously, the techs at JAG USA cannot pick up the problem over the computer. So, I'm in a Catch 22. It's now 11 days since they've had the car, and every day at 6 my rep tells me that they cannot get the computer to provide the techies on the East coast with the data they need. The worst part is that this is the ONLY method they have for detecting/fixing the issue. No back up plan. When I suggest simply replacing the infotainment system, they say "we don't do that". I've contacted JAG USA about getting my money back since it's covered by the California Lemon Law. But, I don't want my money back, I want my car fixed.
As a busines owner, I make sure to work with the customer. But, it looks like Jag ignores the customer needs and continues following a system that simply does not work (hooking up the car to a computer so that East Coast techs can diagnose). After over a week hooked up to the computer - and with no resolution - you'd think they would go to Plan B....But they have NO PLAN B.