F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install In Control App; Deleted In Control App

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
My new iPhone tells me that Just Drive for JLR is no longer available in the store and won't load it. I don't think I ever used it, but just checked now and that's the word I get.
It was deleted years ago.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...tdrive-197528/

Last edited by malbec; 11-06-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I’ve just purchased a 2017 XJL Autobiography with InControl apps installed. I’ve loaded the app on my phone but the app screen only has contacts, calendar and music on there. In the list of more apps, there’s only 3 appearing and re-installing makes no difference. It also wont let me drag any of these apps onto the main widget screen.

Am I right in assuming Jaguar have just abandoned this app and we’re stuck with something utterly useless, as the last update was over two years ago and makes reference to iOS 9???

It just seems incredible they would ignore this feature in a more and more app driven world, let alone the fact the cars are only a few years old.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:40 AM
Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi GarrethN,

I look at it this way... JLR is company that manufactures automobiles, not computers. In including the InControl software, JLR provides an access point with the ability for independent software vendors to create apps to use in their cars. But if I were a software developer, I'd know that it's a heckofa lot of work to interface (and maintain) your app to different manufacturer's OS's. So, I'd opt for developing apps for the widest available audience(s). And - let's face it - JLR just doesn't have that.

Could you imagine what would have happened to the iPhone if there were no independently-developed apps? (Can you say Garmin nuvifone?).

Still, your can still drive your car okay, right? It's not an un-working orphan... (well, yet anyway, until support for Jaguar ICEs ends)

FWIW, IMHO the few apps that actually were ported to Jaguar InControl weren't as good as comparable apps ported to IOS and Android. So, once Carplay and Android Auto were available, it made no sense to continue to maintain the JLR InControl Apps software. Instead, JLR just added the feature for CarPlay and Android Auto. It may be that the specs for interfacing to InControl Apps are still available, and one (you?) could develop and release a new app for it.

My problem is that InControl seems to be an umbrella name for different software, each including apps that seem to operate independently from each other. The InControl App system is different-but-similar to InControl Remote, which both work different from Live Apps, etc. Added to that mess is the fact there are two separate Jaguar Remote apps offered on the IOS App Store, which seem to offer similar capabilities. Why two? I'm so confused..

But, that's a topic for a different thread.

Good Luck!