F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent boost cut?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Intermittent boost cut?

Anyone else experience a sudden loss of power/complete boost cut? I had it happen, threw a code P132B-77 according to the dealer. They tracked it back to the actuator and replaced it, but it happened again since. No engine code though.
More to the story, but basically, I don't trust the dealer at all, and don't recommend anyone go there, ever. I was asked 3 times if I knew there was a check engine light... When I brought it in for a check engine light. It's possible the diagnosis was more like shotgunning some parts.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 PM

So, it's now 100% certainly back. Check engine light, no boost, 50% power. Jaguar better get back to me on this, it's now strike 2. On a brand new car. In California...
Rant mode on: diagnosis =/= replacing parts. The service note even says, removed actuator. Spins freely. Put it back on, confirm actuator binding... So it works fine, but **** it, I'll just replace it. That'll do the trick

Now, from looking at the parts catalog, which is vague at best, it looks to be situated on the front passenger side on top of the engine. I noticed an allen screw, like a set screw, up above it. What does that do? Anyone have inside knowledge on actually working on these things? I don't want to touch it myself, let the dealer touch it or have Jag have to buy it back.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

This is the first I've heard of this problem on these boards. Keep us posted.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
"...Now, from looking at the parts catalog, which is vague at best, it looks to be situated on the front passenger side on top of the engine. I noticed an allen screw, like a set screw, up above it. What does that do? Anyone have inside knowledge on actually working on these things? I don't want to touch it myself, let the dealer touch it or have Jag have to buy it back."
Sorry to hear. Nothing like leaking boost. Very frustrating. I've had a number of turbo and supercharged applications. When boost leaked, it was always a mechanical problem (actuator, solenoid, cracked/pinched/loose hose, belt, etc., not a PCM problem, the latter of which I would generally expect to see additional codes besides P132B-XX.

Here's an earlier conversation from Cambo. The thread, pertaining to the supercharged XJR, is still pertinent I believe, especially the attached Kenne Bell link on the role of the actuator (which is a bypass valve, as you suggest, for controlling boost.) https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...s-valve-77776/

According to the Cambo thread, in our supercharged applications of today there appears to be another component involved, a solenoid, that works in tandem with the actuator (Post #2 in the above thread though the Eaton link has changed). Perhaps your solenoid has gone south and is acting on the actuator (if not binding) to prematurely release boost.

Understand you don't want to touch the engine at this point (don't blame you). But, as long as you're talking about that allen screw (don't know what it does either), if you had access to a hand-held vacuum pump (below), it wouldn't take but a moment to flip off the actuator hose to see if it holds vacuum. I assume the dealer would have checked this, but one never knows.

Hope this all ends up favorably for you, Magnum. Since it happened suddenly, hopefully the fix will come shortly. Please keep us posted.

The following 3 users liked this post by deltagroup:
JgaXkr (02-07-2016), MagnumPI (02-07-2016), Unhingd (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50 AM

Certainly report back on it. Thanks for the info.

I got bored and spent a few dollars on the Topix site. The diagnostic chart for the P132B-77 code mentions this procedure:

Check for correct assembly of
bypass blade and end stop
mechanism

That got me thinking about that thing what looks like a set screw. It also got me thinking, it's just vague and complicated enough that if I were working at a dealer on a warranty job that pays under an hour(and I was a douche), I'd skip.

The cool thing about this particular code is that it's diagnosis for dummies. There's a separate one for PCM or solenoid control, so as you mention, it likely isn't an electronic issue and basically says in black and white that it's a physical, mechanical blockage.

P132B-77:
Turbocharger/Supercharger
Boost Control A
Performance - Commanded
position not reachable

Restriction of bypass blade due to
debris, fouling or incorrect assembly
Bypass blade actuator failure
Bypass blade failure

Old 02-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Also, for $70K, would it have hurt to put in a ******* boost gauge?!? That's this trend these days. Clunky old POS 89 Turbo RX7 had one, still worked even(nothing else did), but not this, nor the cooper, nor the TT, nor the Jetta TDI had one.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:17 PM

Certainly report back on it. Thanks for the info.

I got bored and spent a few dollars on the Topix site. The diagnostic chart for the P132B-77 code mentions this procedure:

Check for correct assembly of
bypass blade and end stop
mechanism

That got me thinking about that thing what looks like a set screw. It also got me thinking, it's just vague and complicated enough that if I were working at a dealer on a warranty job that pays under an hour(and I was a douche), I'd skip.

The cool thing about this particular code is that it's diagnosis for dummies. There's a separate one for PCM or solenoid control, so as you mention, it likely isn't an electronic issue and basically says in black and white that it's a physical, mechanical blockage.

P132B-77:
Turbocharger/Supercharger
Boost Control A
Performance - Commanded
position not reachable

Restriction of bypass blade due to
debris, fouling or incorrect assembly
Bypass blade actuator failure
Bypass blade failure
"Incorrect assembly" reminds me of the USB port on my Jag; it was assembled upside down (from within) though an easy fix.

You may be one to something with that set screw. I mentioned P132B-XX, because there seems to be a number of P-codes that start with P132B. From your above description, certainly looks like P132B-77 is specific to the actuator. So if the actuator's "commanded position" is not reachable, it could very well mean the actuator is not completely closed and leaking boost. This should be rather easy to track down and fix.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:26 PM

Also, for $70K, would it have hurt to put in a ******* boost gauge?!? That's this trend these days. Clunky old POS 89 Turbo RX7 had one, still worked even(nothing else did), but not this, nor the cooper, nor the TT, nor the Jetta TDI had one.
Heh, definitely wouldn't hurt to have a boost gauge. Actually, definitely needed IMO. Never figured out factory thinking on passing up on a boost gauge other than a possible bean-counter issue. Looking back, I ended up installing several boost gauges myself. Don't have one on the Jag...yet.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Heh, definitely wouldn't hurt to have a boost gauge. Actually, definitely needed IMO. Never figured out factory thinking on passing up on a boost gauge other than a possible bean-counter issue. Looking back, I ended up installing several boost gauges myself. Don't have one on the Jag...yet.
On my car, at least, without the dual zone climate? That second dial that displays the Temp is a fantastic place for one.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:26 PM

Well... After they raised it to DEFCON 5, the diagnostic guy got in deep. Apparently, they had to pull the upper housing on the supercharger, trace back the wiring and the ECM connector had a recessed pin!

So, basically a blue duck. Probably never happen again, to anyone, anywhere, with one of these cars.

The following 3 users liked this post by MagnumPI:
deltagroup (02-10-2016), Foosh (02-09-2016), Mbourne (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,387 Posts

A pain in the butt. On the other hand, it's great that it's something so clear, and something that clearly won't happen again, as opposed to one of those vague, niggly things where you're never sure if they fixed it or not.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Well... After they raised it to DEFCON 5, the diagnostic guy got in deep. Apparently, they had to pull the upper housing on the supercharger, trace back the wiring and the ECM connector had a recessed pin!

So, basically a blue duck. Probably never happen again, to anyone, anywhere, with one of these cars.
It's great that you got a definitive diagnosis and fix. However, this experience made me wonder how many random, one-off, weird issues, CELs, etc. are caused by glitches like yours in the rather complex connectors in modern cars

Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm impressed that the tech actually found something that could so easily be overlooked.

The following users liked this post:
deltagroup (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Any pics of the disassembled state?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 PM

Afraid not. They had it in and out pretty quick, and I wasn't even there when they were working on it.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
A pain in the butt. On the other hand, it's great that it's something so clear, and something that clearly won't happen again, as opposed to one of those vague, niggly things where you're never sure if they fixed it or not.
+1

Old 02-10-2016, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I'm impressed that the tech actually found something that could so easily be overlooked.
Completely agree. Completely. The really great techs I've run across assume nothing and gut it out running those PITA pinpoint tests. A recessed pin has all the potential for a real migraine-producing experience. Props to Magnum's tech!

Old 02-10-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Completely agree. Completely. The really great techs I've run across assume nothing and gut it out running those PITA pinpoint tests. A recessed pin has all the potential for a real migraine-producing experience. Props to Magnum's tech!
He was some kind of foreign. British or Australian. Didn't speak to him enough to decipher and didn't care enough to ask. If that means anything...

But I agree. At first, he was obviously too dismissive of the severity but redeemed himself completely with that bit of sorcery. Name was Tony.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

He was some kind of foreign. British or Australian. Didn't speak to him enough to decipher and didn't care enough to ask. If that means anything...

But I agree. At first, he was obviously too dismissive of the severity but redeemed himself completely with that bit of sorcery. Name was Tony.
Hey there - I am having what might be the same issue.

I picked up the car this weekend, and put 500 miles on it in just over 2 days. However after that, I noticed a very different change in boost performance, when in dynamic mode, where the throttle is quite laggy when accelerating 50-100% from 1000-1500 rpm. It accelerates sure but it's no longer the huge torque and kick in the seat... Torque is great though if the car is already at 4000+ RPM, e.g. after downshifting a couple gears.

Maybe another blue duck?

I'm taking it to the dealer in a few days.
Can you list out exactly what the dealer did on your invoice please? Thanks a lot!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 PM

"SDD Session logged, related code P132b-77 logged. Inspected supercharger boost control actuator. Datalogged actuator feedback. Removed supercharger upper housing and inspected boost control butterfly stop and operation. Accessed engine control module and inline harness connectors in boost actuator circuit. Pindrag test all nodes and traced to receded pin in ECM connector. Released retainer and fully seated pin. Cleared memory and drivecycled. Retested, OK."

And I can confirm that after 800 miles, it is OK.

The following users liked this post:
pistol (02-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Intermittent boost cut?