F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent boost cut?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
Hey there - I am having what might be the same issue.

I picked up the car this weekend, and put 500 miles on it in just over 2 days. However after that, I noticed a very different change in boost performance, when in dynamic mode, where the throttle is quite laggy when accelerating 50-100% from 1000-1500 rpm. It accelerates sure but it's no longer the huge torque and kick in the seat... Torque is great though if the car is already at 4000+ RPM, e.g. after downshifting a couple gears.

Maybe another blue duck?

I'm taking it to the dealer in a few days.
Can you list out exactly what the dealer did on your invoice please? Thanks a lot!
That is how my 2016 R felt right off the lot. I bet there was a programming revision to limit low-end torque that began in the 2016. Up to 4000 rpm, doggish, after, beast.

The following users liked this post:
pistol (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
"SDD Session logged, related code P132b-77 logged. Inspected supercharger boost control actuator. Datalogged actuator feedback. Removed supercharger upper housing and inspected boost control butterfly stop and operation. Accessed engine control module and inline harness connectors in boost actuator circuit. Pindrag test all nodes and traced to receded pin in ECM connector. Released retainer and fully seated pin. Cleared memory and drivecycled. Retested, OK."

And I can confirm that after 800 miles, it is OK.
Thank you very much - I've added this to the online service appointment notes, hopefully it helps them track it down for me.

Originally Posted by cbroth1
That is how my 2016 R felt right off the lot. I bet there was a programming revision to limit low-end torque that began in the 2016. Up to 4000 rpm, doggish, after, beast.
Thanks for the datapoint. I really hope that's not true. I feared I'd ask them to do a test drive with another one, and find one with the same issue. Your case would suggest that's entirely possible.

For me it was a beast right off the lot, lots low and high end torque. Now the low end torque is gone most of the times. I still get the sound, the revving is there, but there's little torque to match and no kick in the seat. It's a pretty noticeable difference, especially as I really played with the car for the first 500 miles so I am quite familiar with its performance.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:28 AM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
Thank you very much - I've added this to the online service appointment notes, hopefully it helps them track it down for me.

Thanks for the datapoint. I really hope that's not true. I feared I'd ask them to do a test drive with another one, and find one with the same issue. Your case would suggest that's entirely possible.

For me it was a beast right off the lot, lots low and high end torque. Now the low end torque is gone most of the times. I still get the sound, the revving is there, but there's little torque to match and no kick in the seat. It's a pretty noticeable difference, especially as I really played with the car for the first 500 miles so I am quite familiar with its performance.
I'll add that you may have been feeling the effects of adaptation to the crappy 91 octane fuel here in California once the car was pushed hard. I can tell you that when the car is reflashed and the long-term adaptation tables are reset, initially the low end is much stronger. I saw this effect on the dyno as well and after initially driving my car home from L.A. after the final tune revision. In the low-mid range, the ECU will begin to run rich and pull timing when pushed between 2500-4000 rpm. You can even see the torque dip on several of the dynos posted on this forum, even for the V6. The ECU has the ability to default to a component protection map, which is there specifically to protect the motor (and perhaps trans). So far, I haven't seen anyone be able to "tune this out".

Additionally, if you log the AFR on the stock file on a warm day or on the dyno, you will see the top end of the range 5000-6500 go extremely rich to cool cylinders and tame detonation. You can see this happen in a on my dynos, tuned or stock. The Vmax tune exhibits less of this behavior and nearly none immediately after flashing.

I'm not sure what Jag is doing with the TCU logic on the AWD as well to help prevent high torque destruction and how this all plays together with the ECU.

I invite anyone to jump in on this discussion btw, please share info/Knowledge.

The following users liked this post:
pistol (02-19-2016)