Sponsored by:

Its been a pleasure!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Its been a pleasure!

Hello all

Thought it would be worth coming clean!

I have now sold my F-type after a excellent year of ownership!

Decided to take a gamble on a different brand for a while and have ordered new Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Would like to say many thanks for all the advice and help i have recived on the forum and wish the rest of the F-type owners all the best!

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I faced a similar question in 2001. The choice was between an XK8 and the newly introduced Maserati GT. I did the reasonable thing and have always wondered.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,550 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Alfas are great handling, wonderful driving cars, but you'll miss the reliability of the modern Jaguar brand (whoever believed we'd be saying that about Jaguars?!). Italian reliability is still an issue, just ask any Maserati owner.

Good luck and enjoy, I hear the car is a beast and a joy to drive.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Adz3000
Decided to take a gamble on a different brand for a while and have ordered new Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
It's a wonderful car; i poured two years of my heart and soul into that project. Hopefully the car doesn't let you down as has been the recent trend

Old 07-29-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Fantastic choice and a very worthy successor to the F Type. So good to see Alfa over here again.

What color did you go for? They have a light (smurf) blue that looks gorgeous - but like Yas Marina on BMW. Rosso is of course the classic choice.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 PM

I really do hope the notorious problems with reliability with the brand are a thing of the past and from what i can tell from various other Alfa forums it seems so.

Really excited to get hold of it! Decided to get it in Competizione Red with black alloys with plenty of other options to play with.

I'll be sure to stick around these forums anyhow, just so i dont miss out on the picture post thread!

Old 07-29-2017, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Adz3000
I really do hope the notorious problems with reliability with the brand are a thing of the past and from what i can tell from various other Alfa forums it seems so.
That statement surprises me a little bit from all the failures with the press cars.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Oh man that is a beauty for sure.

I am a brand Atheist and car enthusiast. Always have loved all unique, FUN, and cool cars. Nice choice!

Alan Harper really seemed to like it.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts

As an early adopter of Maser Ghibli I can tell you to be prepared. Took 2 years to get everything right. We have a new '17 Ghibli and it is a different expierience. We always liked the car, wife loves it. Our dealer was great, they are also Ferrari. My big worry is buying Italian exotic from low price Fiat dealers. Just remeber Italian cars are made by guys that take 2 hour lunches with wine. Hope you get a morning car!

Queen and Country (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 07:11 PM

It strikes me as singularly inappropriate to speak in terms of ethnic stereotypes on a forum devoted to the product of legendary British craftsmanship.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
It strikes me as singularly inappropriate to speak in terms of ethnic stereotypes on a forum devoted to the product of legendary British craftsmanship.
That's quite a macabre view of reality. We would not pull the stereotype penalty card were we talking about fantastic Italian design culture that emanates from centuries of passionate art. Similarly its disingenuous to believe the same culture has no other influence on anything else.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
bigdaddy (07-30-2017), Suaro (07-30-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

These posts about inferior Italian cars, or vino and 2 hour lunches etc., are not appropriate and in my view "paints with a roller and a lack of Specificity, let alone a stereo-typical statement about Italy and workers from Italy (although I know it was a joke). Since these forums are important to be specific let me weigh in:

I own two Jaguars - F-Type and the F-Pace. Both gems to say the least, and the F-Pace was a buyback replacement for many solid reasons and the replacement is awesome! Not a problem worth mentioning.

My wife has a Ghibli and it drives nicely, has had a few issues, but no more than the F-Type, and much less than my original F-Pace.

As for the Alfa, I heard that the quality is back, and recognize that it is a new model, and all new models have their share of issues. I for one do not know enough to mention the issues, but certainly don't know anything to weigh in on whether or not this is a good move. All great cars in this thread, and "I wish you the best of luck with your new wheels"! The specs and look are awesome, and exciting to say the least.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,550 Likes on 1,415 Posts

slojotaa,
I think you took the vino joke a little too seriously. And I highly doubt that in the bygone era where Jaguar reliability was considered the worst in the industry that you would have defended them either. The Italian automobile industry obviously makes some stellar cars, but has never been considered the pillar of reliability. It's why Fiat, Alfa, and Maserati have had long vacations from the American market in previous decades that were caused by their reputations affecting sales. And I'm glad that your family has a Ghibli that is functioning well because I know of three in my circle of friends and acquaintances that were bought back by Maserati due to continuing and catastrophic problems. I sincerely hope that all three of these automakers stay in our market and continue to improve, and I'm sure the OP will have a great driving car in the Alfa. And I'm sure no one on this forum wishes problems on any forum member's choices, but this is a forum that allows for differing opinions, many even based on experience.

bigdaddy (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Hope you get a morning car!
haha this made me chuckle a bit!

Seems like a well recived car but im not surprised about the feelings and opinions people have as there is a lot of history and passionate people out there that do and don't like to hear certain comments.

Anyway! Keeping it on track for a Jaguar forum i'll certainly be keeping my eye out for news on the brand! Who knows, when i come back the F-type may have a straight 6 turbo option!

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
slojotaa,
I think you took the vino joke a little too seriously.

Maybe so, maybe not? Opinion of mine not worth it in the big scheme of things!

And I'm sure no one on this forum wishes problems on any forum member's choices, but this is a forum that allows for differing opinions, many even based on experience.
I agree with the above and didn't think you wished harm at all, thus why I jumped on this. The OP was kind enough to say "so long", bought a new set of wheels and was excited. I felt the enthusiasm and therefore wanted to amplify the OP's excitement in support of what on paper seems to be a fabulously engineered set of wheels. As I posted, I own, and "owned" Italian cars. One I am extremely happy with (my wife's car which we drive a lot together), and on the contrary, I owned a 1973 Fiat 128, and had a tainted view on Italian cars for many years. I cringed with getting her Italian made car, however did my research and am happy with the result.

Been on forums a long time, owned too many cars than I want to admit to (investment wise), and was sensitive more to the OP's excitement, your response "potentially" and perceptually being interpreted as throwing water on the new acquisition/decision than the joke itself. We all represent what makes the forum a forum, opinions of fact on all types of cars Jaguar, along with calling out observations, comparisons or contrasting vs. the competition. Let the viewpoints live on, and I wish the OP great success with the Alfa, a beauty of a car. Furthermore, I hope that nobody ever has a fraction of the problems that my 1st F-Pace had, but rather the quality and enjoyment that my F-Type and F-Pace "replacement" represents to me and did I mention "the Italian car driven by my lovely Bride"!:-)

TO the OP, every bushel of apples has a bad one, and my Fiat128 was my one bad apple as well an originally produced F-Pace, which Jaguar corrected for me perfectly. Always luck of the draw....and enjoy the new Alfa!

The following 2 users liked this post by slojotaa:
Adz3000 (07-30-2017), tberg (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Geez, don't be super sensitive and lighten up. People these days..

Old 07-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 961 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
That's quite a macabre view of reality. We would not pull the stereotype penalty card were we talking about fantastic Italian design culture that emanates from centuries of passionate art. Similarly its disingenuous to believe the same culture has no other influence on anything else.
You read that completely different than I. I saw dry, tongue-in-cheek humor for three reasons:

1) It's inherently contradictory in a single sentence.
2) My car came with the wrong badges fitted.
3) I once saw a beautiful Morgan with a bumper sticker that said "All pieces falling off this car are of the finest British caraftsmanship."

Old 07-30-2017, 11:44 AM

Thank you for highlighting the intended irony.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 961 Likes on 718 Posts

Thank you for highlighting the intended irony.
We're hard-wired to read inflection and facial expressions. Conveying nuance in text-only format to people who don't know you is fraught with peril.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
We're hard-wired to read inflection and facial expressions. Conveying nuance in text-only format to people who don't know you is fraught with peril.
True. But the level of expression here is of a higher order than on most of the web and markedly higher than any other automotive forum with which I am familiar. I think it is ok use figures of speech as long as there is some caution. I thought the ironic use of the expression "legendary British craftsmanship" was well known.

But I wish ALFA every success. In my youth I lusted after a Sprint Speciale, and would have happily settled for a 2600 Spider, or even a Giulia. Heck it wasn't so long ago I wanted a 159 wagon.