Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible

Hey Guys!

I made this thread because I have yet to found one regarding this interest, or maybe I was just really bad at wording my searches. Anyways, I'm considering to buy the Jaguar F-Type. It's a beautiful car with amazing curves, and not to mention the bragging rights of the exhaust note. All around, its such a beautiful car. However, the same reason I hate certain Porsches, I can't stand the 2 exhaust in the very center. I PREFER the Coupe over the Convertible, just because it looks so much better without the cloth top. However, I prefer not to dish out 80k+ on the Coupe R, just specifically because I can't stand the exhaust being centered. (I mean I do get a more powerful engine, but it's more than I'll ever need.) The lowest I've seen for the Convertible V8 S was 58,000$ with 25k miles on it. (I know I said the V8 engine has more HP than I'll ever need, but I rather spend 58k than 80+, you know? I don't know if the difference between the Soft top and hard top makes up the 20,000$+ gap..)

SO, my question is, is there any possible way, I can purchase a Jaguar F-Type Coupe (Base or S) , and somehow purchase a new exhaust system and rear bumper to make it have 4 equal Quad-Exhaust? Has anyone done it? Am I just being too picky? What are you guy's thoughts?

Has anyone purchase the convertible and wished you would of bought the Coupe instead? Is it all that bad? Since this car is really expensive, I want to make the right choice, and not pull the trigger so soon without making a proper decision, so there will be no future regrets. (however every trim of the F-Type's exhaust note will make sure you have no regret in the first place. )

Old 09-25-2016, 07:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The coupe is definitely more attractive, looks like an Aston Martin, IMO. Just gorgeous.

Both coupe and convertible have pros and cons.

Test drive both and see which one you like better.

Note: Not sure it would be worth it to alter the exhaust on the S coupe to make it resemble the R. It could be a major PITA and alter the characteristic exhaust note of the V6S which IMO is much more unique than the raspy R.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Raul-7
The coupe is definitely more attractive, looks like an Aston Martin, IMO. Just gorgeous.

Both coupe and convertible have pros and cons.

Test drive both and see which one you like better.

Note: Not sure it would be worth it to alter the exhaust on the S coupe to make it resemble the R. It could be a major PITA and alter the characteristic exhaust note of the V6S which IMO is much more unique than the raspy R.
Of course not ! Would it be worth it? No. The car already sounds amazing on its own, and as for your test drive suggestion, do you think it's okay to just go to my nearest dealer even without the intention of buying it from them, new? I usually look online and see which has the best bang for the buck. Anyhow, I'm not trying by any means to copy the Coupe R. Not one bit. That would be like buying a 435i and then fitting a m4 bumper. I just rather prefer the exhaust be equally separated and quad exhaust because it looks way better and aggressive. I just feel like the car is so wide and all around gorgeous, but the twin center exhaust makes the back look squished. Just would be so much happier with a Coupe S with quad exhaust than a V8 S convertible ... most lenient towards the coupe anyhow, regardless where the exhaust is because it just already caught my eye and have my attention, just that if the conversion was possible, i'd just be beyond happier and satisfied. A bonus !

Old 09-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

Obviously, you have several questions afoot. The forum has numerous posts on preferences, but they're spread around in different threads. If there's a pattern, it's only that those that have coupe's are happy with their choice, and those that got a 'vert are likewise pleased with what they have. When the F-Type came out, I immediately fell in love with it, but decided to wait for the coupe. Ironically, when the time came, I opted for the 'vert. No regrets. The definite plus to the coupe is a bit more storage space. It also has more appeal for regions that are climate challenged. But, that presumably isn't an issue for you in CA. The 'vert obviously offers the tops-down experience, exhaust notes are a bit more pronounced, and it will get more attention from bystanders (although both version are attention-grabbers). Overall appearance is strictly a matter of taste. Personally, I rank the 'vert with the top down first, the coupe second, and the 'vert with the top up third.

I think you're off the mark on your $20k premium for a 'vert. Look around a bit more. Meanwhile, you'll come MUCH closer to paying that premium to get split exhausts (ie, V8 vs V6). I'd recommend driving both versions to see how much you need/want the extra power. Again, the consensus seems to be that folks like what they got. I'm in the Jeremy Clarkson camp, feeling quite content with the V-6S. I get plenty of play and enjoy the RWD; however, with the extra power in the V-8, I think it gets a bit too tail-happy and AWD becomes a better fit. I get that balance between the F-Type and my VR4 (while it's still a V6, it's modified). The VR4 is faster; the Jag is more fun.

The question of whether a V-8 split exhaust can be put on the V-6 has come up a couple of times, but I don't know that anyone has actually done it. It's a bit more involved that just swapping the pipes, including different molding on the rear valence.
Again, as a matter of taste, many (myself included) actually have some preference for the center exhaust - it's closer to the old e-Type.

BTW, if you haven't seen the Top Gear review of the F-Type, wander over to YouTube. (Jezza ended up buying his own F-Type, and got a V6-S 'vert.)

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Sounds like the coupe is what you have fallen in love with so would definitely go for that - or else you are likely to feel you have settled for second best with the convertible. For what its worth, I have a convertible and agree the coupe is significantly better looking.

I think you would get used to the center pipes and overall feel happier sitting in the coupe. Or just wait for the R's to drop a little more in value.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Just buy used, early F-type S are V8 and have dual tip exhausts.

As to coupe vs. convertible. Driving top down takes F-type experience to the whole new level. Unfortunately, this makes it a 3-season car.

The following users liked this post:
mikelanzetta (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Just buy used, early F-type S are V8 and have dual tip exhausts..
Yes early F Types were S - although both V6S and V8S

Old 09-25-2016, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I am already collecting the pieces (used) to convert the V6S to a quad exhaust, not for the looks, but for the weight. (Still looking for a used SVR cat-back, which may take awhile)

Old 09-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

If you decide to go with a V6 base, I'd suggest to get one that has adaptive suspension. The ride is a little better.

I prefer the coupe in looks although the 'vert is lovely with the top down. I also prefer the quad pipes to the centre exhaust. That said, the centre exhaust does grow on you, and a lot of people love it.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Thank you towards everyone for their response. You guys are so much more respectful than people from Corvette or Audi forums lol. Although I love the coupe and have such a NEAR-Obsession with it, I also came to the conclusion that, as an enthusiast, it's a blessing to be able to have your top off and hear the entire exhaust note, not to mention the vert one I have my eyes on is a v8. So it'll be neat. The coupe is gorgeous, and yes maybe I will grow on it, but it isn't worth it to purchase a beautiful coupe and modify it to something it's not. I'll definitely test drive both the coupe and vert to see if I really can't stand a soft top. Thanks guys!!

Old 09-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes test drive every variant if you wish. If your local dealer won't let you, find another one. Being in Cali there should be several. My dealer let me test drive convertible V6, V6S, V8S (for 24 hours no less), and a V8R coupe (2015). Living in SoCal, I picked the convertible V8S. I know the coupe looks better (at least until the spoiler comes up), but there's nothing like a convertible. Besides, if you like the sound of the exhaust why put a bunch of sound deadening in the way??

Swapping the exhaust is going to be pretty expensive especially if you want quad tips. I'd go used V8R as another poster mentioned.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by meefer
Yes test drive every variant if you wish. If your local dealer won't let you, find another one. Being in Cali there should be several. My dealer let me test drive convertible V6, V6S, V8S (for 24 hours no less), and a V8R coupe (2015). Living in SoCal, I picked the convertible V8S. I know the coupe looks better (at least until the spoiler comes up), but there's nothing like a convertible. Besides, if you like the sound of the exhaust why put a bunch of sound deadening in the way??

Swapping the exhaust is going to be pretty expensive especially if you want quad tips. I'd go used V8R as another poster mentioned.
How do you think the vert will handle winter in cali?

Old 09-25-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Loucini
Our winters are very mild and almost non-existent. Should be no problem.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:55 PM

I drive mine through East Coast winters. THe only time it stays in the garage is if there is snow on the ground.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:21 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

We have winter? I'm in OC and have been through a winter. As long as you're not driving like you're a Mustang driver leaving Cars and Coffee (and replace the tires with Pilot Super Sports) then you should be fine. I have taken mine out on two of the rainiest nights last winter (week before XMas) and I never felt out of control. I did have the rain/snow mode on.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by meefer
We have winter? I'm in OC and have been through a winter. As long as you're not driving like you're a Mustang driver leaving Cars and Coffee (and replace the tires with Pilot Super Sports) then you should be fine. I have taken mine out on two of the rainiest nights last winter (week before XMas) and I never felt out of control. I did have the rain/snow mode on.
When I asked about winter I meant how well is the F-Type as a DD. It'll be my only car since I don't have kids, however I love doing road trips with friends (they have their own cars), and I was wondering how these cars may do exposed to snow, obviously, you drive safely and don't be a total idiot acting like you just got the car and flooring it on slick Icey roads. But my question is, if running on snow tires and driven properly, will these vehicles do fine up north , say, Wisconsin? Ohio? Definitely won't do it during THEIR winter, but say spring season?

Old 09-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Just remember the center exhaust is a throw back to the classic E-Types. It's one of my favorite features on my '16 V6S Coupe. I love the attention to the history of the brand.

The following 6 users liked this post by Canadairjet:
burnie (10-03-2016), Jagged Wire (01-01-2019), James Tootle (09-26-2016), Mahjik (09-26-2016), Raul-7 (09-27-2016), Uncle Fishbits (10-05-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The coupe may be nicer to look at but I don't look at my F-Type...I drive it and there is nothing quite like driving a convertible F-Type. That said, all of my driving has been with the top down and I don't think I'd like driving the convertible with the top up. So for me not only is it a 2 season (Northeast) car, it's a sunny day only car.

If I were looking at one as a DD I'd likely go couple for the practicality aspect.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Thank you everyone for their replies and thoughts. I have taken a look at it in real life, but did not have the time to test drive (was passing by the dealer and had some spare time), and I have to say the vert looks nicer in person than pictures, so did the coupe, but the quad exhaust vert was very over whelming and sounded extreme 😍

Old 09-27-2016, 11:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the Convertible, my only complaint is trunk holds 1 set of golf clubs, so I'm driving by myself on the weekends. Top down vert looks better to me, top up not so much. BUT we live in Cali so the top is up like 2 weeks a year.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible