F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

I disagree wholeheartedly about the exhaust note in the coupe not being able to be enjoyed at a level near a vert. Although I have never owned the vert, certainly we can assume the note to be a little louder and in your face in a vert but trust me, in a coupe you will be at no shortage of audio fun. I am finally at the point even where I turn off dynamic modes in certain situations when I want some peace. That wouldn't be the case if the sound wasn't up to par. I would let this be a factor in your decision to buy a coupe, trust me.

The other advantage as it relates to sound is the stereo system will also count better in a coupe if you ever grow tired of exhaust note and opt to focus on some Coltrane or Miles.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Loucini
The 6's startup sounds like the Aventador.. When you start it up , it has a long prolong vrooooooooooooooom before settling down... however I'm so bothered by the 0-60 time honestly. For the price? I don't know how I feel about 0-60 in like 4.7+
A 450hp pulley and tune will dissuade any doubt.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A 450hp pulley and tune will dissuade any doubt.
As much as I love that idea, this is a jaguar and wouldn't wanna void any warranty. The price to pay when something breaks down is gonna be hell..

Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

wouldn't wanna void any warranty
For me, that ship sailed some time ago.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, that ship sailed some time ago.
How would you rate your Jaguar F-Type? Reliability from 1-10 with 10 being Lexus reliability. Has anything broke over a year?

Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

...however I'm so bothered by the 0-60 time honestly. For the price? I don't know how I feel about 0-60 in like 4.7+
Ignore Jaguar's stated 0-60 times - they appear to be super conservative. My memory is that the stock V6S has been measured in the 4.4-4.5 range.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
I disagree wholeheartedly about the exhaust note in the coupe not being able to be enjoyed at a level near a vert. Although I have never owned the vert, certainly we can assume the note to be a little louder and in your face in a vert but trust me, in a coupe you will be at no shortage of audio fun. I am finally at the point even where I turn off dynamic modes in certain situations when I want some peace. That wouldn't be the case if the sound wasn't up to par. I would let this be a factor in your decision to buy a coupe, trust me.

The other advantage as it relates to sound is the stereo system will also count better in a coupe if you ever grow tired of exhaust note and opt to focus on some Coltrane or Miles.
For me the exhaust note volume in the coupe is nowhere near the level you get top down in the convertible. It may be loud, but it's not as loud as it is in the convertible.

Last edited by swajames; 10-06-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Ignore Jaguar's stated 0-60 times - they appear to be super conservative.
That's true; huge difference by various testers compared to Jaguar's "official" times.

Dave

Old 10-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

How would you rate your Jaguar F-Type? Reliability from 1-10 with 10 being Lexus reliability. Has anything broke over a year?
Having the car for just 15 months now, it's too soon to opine. However, based on my observations of issues that have appeared on this forum, the major shortcomings originate with the parts vendors (eg Sachs/ZF, Meridian)

Old 10-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Having the car for just 15 months now, it's too soon to opine. However, based on my observations of issues that have appeared on this forum, the major shortcomings originate with the parts vendors (eg Sachs/ZF, Meridian)
+1. The one thing I can place on the manufacturing doorstep is the bonnet alignment problem but have always give them a pass on that one because its the largest single stamp part around. All in all the build is a good one.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Unfortunately, this makes it a 3-season car.
Unless you live in Florida.

I drove both coupe and convertible and the convertible was the only option for me.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible-jag-pp1.jpg  
Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj

I have to say I agree with you on this (absent the Coltrane and Miles reference, Bassnectar and Crystal Method are more my cup of tea). I had the vert for a day and it is massively louder than the coupe when you have the top down, but once you give the coupe the boot it is plenty loud enough, and doesnt get annoyingly so. My only wish is that I could wind down the rear windows, which would let more sound in if I was in the mood. I took the rear windows out of my XKR coupe when they were being tinted, and the sound in the cabin was significantly louder and better - let me make a completely wild guess and say it upped the noise by 50% - though the XKR was a lot quieter on the inside than the f type is.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

We have two seasons in Houston.

Summer and February.

Mine is a daily driver and most every day the top is down, at least on the way to work in the morning. The afternoons can be a bit warm.

6 vs 8 - old school - there is no replacement for displacement!

The only problem I see with the coupe is - The top doesn't go down and what fun is that.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I still don't quite understand that I get few real reactions with the top up, and I get amazed gawking stares when the top is down. It is really like night and day. Not sure why. I mean, anecdotally, it might look better with the top down, but it's pretty amazing.
I'll second the observation about getting many more comments with the top down. I always figured it makes you look more accessible/approachable. Plus, they can see the s**t-eating grin on your face. The car is a hoot.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-10-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Vert...all the way. But I live in California.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ROGUE R
Vert...all the way. But I live in California.
Fair point. We should do the voting by state. =) I wonder how many states are represented here? We should have one F-Type per state, at least. =)

Old 10-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Fair point. We should do the voting by state. =) I wonder how many states are represented here? We should have one F-Type per state, at least. =)
See the sticky with the owners map. Many represented.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

I had the e-Type 'vert in CT, MD, and NC (dating back before the F-Type).
Can I vote 3 times?

Old 10-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I test drove a coupe and vert the other day - have to say the hood on the vert is way better than I expected and it opens and closes very smartly. But there's just something about the coupe (with the pano roof) that I like better. Here in Austin having to think about smearing your forehead with Factor 50 every morning sways me to the coupe....

Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Here in Austin having to think about smearing your forehead with Factor 50 every morning sways me to the coupe....

Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible