F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible

Old 09-28-2016, 05:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SanDiegoJAG
I got the Convertible, my only complaint is trunk holds 1 set of golf clubs, so I'm driving by myself on the weekends. Top down vert looks better to me, top up not so much. BUT we live in Cali so the top is up like 2 weeks a year.
I never owned a convertible, but I'm assuming (even if nothing is stored), the top goes up when parked right? 😂 Sorry my brain cells are dead.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:47 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

A vert with the Smart Top aftermarket module basically solved any issue I had with ragtop life. Best money I ever spent.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

You can get two golf bags in the trunk, if they're smaller carry bags, and you put the wood in the passenger footwell. I've done it many times, though it does take some effort.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
You can get two golf bags in the trunk, if they're smaller carry bags, and you put the wood in the passenger footwell. I've done it many times, though it does take some effort.
This may be a dumb question as I didn't even bother checking the trunk size, but do you think I'm gonna have problem taking this to college? I'm still in school , soon med school, and all I basically need to fit in there is a backpack or two and here or there, maybe some grocery. The vert isn't THAT bad is it? In trunk space?

Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

You need to look at it in person. The convertible trunk is small and oddly shaped. For example, no way you can get a cooler in it, unless it's a 6-pack cooler.

If you don't have a passenger, then you have the passenger seat and footwell to carry stuff. That's where my groceries go.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My vert is for weekends, If you want another opinion I would prefer the coupe for a DD. But what the hell do I know!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

If the F Type is your only car, and you go convertible it might be a a little tricky. I daily drive mine as typically only carry a laptop bag or small weekend away bag which can just about fit in the trunk.

If I am carrying anything more than that I also have a Range Rover that I use. I couldn't have the 'vert as my one and only car even though its my DD.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:31 PM

As far as space go, I think JUST backpacks and grocery will do just fine. As far as I know, the soft top has an area designed for its own when it's down and does not associate with the trunk, so that's nice. && has anyone gotten any reliability issue aside from the usual scheduled maintenance? (Oil change, tires, brakes, etc.)?

I know in my old m3 coupe, things like electrical problems and all sorts of bullshit would pop up and it was extremely irritating. This ended up with my m3 in the dealer more often than my garage. I tried to daily drive it but it was far too troublesome.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Yes, there's a spot reserved for the roof, so you don't lose trunk space when the roof is down. Conversely, you don't gain trunk space when the roof is up.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

regarding luggage; there isn't a ton of room but this fits:

Coupe vs. Convertible has been discussed several times before; I agree that though both are great looking cars, the coupe has an edge there......but not enough of one for me to give up driving with the top down. A nice thing about the F type 'vert is that since it was designed for production as a 'vert first there are no big weight or stiffness penalties like most other cars.

Good luck,
Dave

Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I have that luggage set too. It's a squeeze, but you can get it all in provided the cases aren't overfilled.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For those with the coupe; do you still get the raw notes of the exhaust inside the cabin? Do the windows need to be down?

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (01-03-2019)
Old 09-30-2016, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul-7
For those with the coupe; do you still get the raw notes of the exhaust inside the cabin? Do the windows need to be down?
Barely, even with the windows down (unless in a tunnel or next to a Jersey barrier). Plenty loud for the folks behind you, though.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
jaguny (09-30-2016), Raul-7 (09-30-2016), Uncle Fishbits (01-03-2019)
Old 09-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Barely, even with the windows down (unless in a tunnel or next to a Jersey barrier). Plenty loud for the folks behind you, though.
Even with active exhaust depressed? I guess having the more beautiful coupe comes at a heavy price.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:01 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I've had the top up for the past few days (which is rare for me), and while the exhaust is less audible, the supercharger and engine sounds are much more noticeable.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Even with active exhaust depressed? I guess having the more beautiful coupe comes at a heavy price.
With exhaust open I hear exhaust with windows up; with them down definitely so. With closed exhaust it's grand touring quite unless you stomp on it, or let off gas at 3500 or so rpm when it backfield and snorts.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The exhaust under power is plenty loud in the coupe, windows up or down. Its the overrun pops and burbles that are much more muted in the coupe.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Loucini
Hey Guys!

I made this thread because I have yet to found one regarding this interest, or maybe I was just really bad at wording my searches. Anyways, I'm considering to buy the Jaguar F-Type. It's a beautiful car with amazing curves, and not to mention the bragging rights of the exhaust note. All around, its such a beautiful car. However, the same reason I hate certain Porsches, I can't stand the 2 exhaust in the very center. I PREFER the Coupe over the Convertible, just because it looks so much better without the cloth top. However, I prefer not to dish out 80k+ on the Coupe R, just specifically because I can't stand the exhaust being centered. (I mean I do get a more powerful engine, but it's more than I'll ever need.) The lowest I've seen for the Convertible V8 S was 58,000$ with 25k miles on it. (I know I said the V8 engine has more HP than I'll ever need, but I rather spend 58k than 80+, you know? I don't know if the difference between the Soft top and hard top makes up the 20,000$+ gap..)

SO, my question is, is there any possible way, I can purchase a Jaguar F-Type Coupe (Base or S) , and somehow purchase a new exhaust system and rear bumper to make it have 4 equal Quad-Exhaust? Has anyone done it? Am I just being too picky? What are you guy's thoughts?

Has anyone purchase the convertible and wished you would of bought the Coupe instead? Is it all that bad? Since this car is really expensive, I want to make the right choice, and not pull the trigger so soon without making a proper decision, so there will be no future regrets. (however every trim of the F-Type's exhaust note will make sure you have no regret in the first place. )
I've got a white/red coupe R in California that might fit the bill for you.

PM me.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoJAG
I got the Convertible, my only complaint is trunk holds 1 set of golf clubs, so I'm driving by myself on the weekends. Top down vert looks better to me, top up not so much. BUT we live in Cali so the top is up like 2 weeks a year.
I still don't quite understand that I get few real reactions with the top up, and I get amazed gawking stares when the top is down. It is really like night and day. Not sure why. I mean, anecdotally, it might look better with the top down, but it's pretty amazing.

As for winter in California.... entering into my 2nd winter, and after that "brutal" (read: joke) of a El Nino, I really can't imagine ever having issues with this car in rain. The 8cyl, surely, I would hurt myself. The 6 is less slidy (based on my skills, no one elses).

Old 10-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I still don't quite understand that I get few real reactions with the top up, and I get amazed gawking stares when the top is down. It is really like night and day. Not sure why. I mean, anecdotally, it might look better with the top down, but it's pretty amazing.

As for winter in California.... entering into my 2nd winter, and after that "brutal" (read: joke) of a El Nino, I really can't imagine ever having issues with this car in rain. The 8cyl, surely, I would hurt myself. The 6 is less slidy (based on my skills, no one elses).
The 6's startup sounds like the Aventador.. When you start it up , it has a long prolong vrooooooooooooooom before settling down... however I'm so bothered by the 0-60 time honestly. For the price? I don't know how I feel about 0-60 in like 4.7+

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible