F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F Type R dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridgeback
I have been eyeing the FTR for the past 4 months. I test drove it the other day. Awesome handling, performance, and exhaust sound. Beautiful exterior, which is hard to beat. I was looking to order the FTR with carbon ceramic brakes.
My biggest hang up is the interior. I am having a hard time getting over the fake carbon ceramic look, the cheap plastic parts, and lack of technology. Yes I understand the sport car purists just care about the driving experience, but I would expect a luxury brand like Jaguar for $120k to be much better quality. Btw, I own a 2012 XFR with beautiful real carbon fiber interior and lack of cheap plastic parts that I paid $86k new.
I also wanted to check out the Merc GT S AMG so I drove across the street to the MB dealer. They didn't have the GT S but what caught my eye was a black on black new model GLE 63s AMG coupe for $120k loaded. I know it is a completely different car then the FTR, but interior was beautiful and technology was amazing. 5.5L biturbo V8 with 577 HP 561 lb torque. It had the AMG performance exhaust on it which sounded almost like the FTR. Handling and driving experience is different bc it's 5200lbs.

Why doesn't Jaguar step up and put at least the same type of quality interior as the XFR that costs $20-30k less?i Is there any other luxury brand that sells a car for over $100k and puts that type of interior in it? l will probably wait for the 2017 model to come out to see if anything changes. Your guys thoughts on this? Anyone else bothered by this?
I think the MB GT S is probably what you are looking for. Unfortunately, the F-Type can't be all things to all people nor can any other car. Just weigh your priorities, if tech and/or high-end interiors are a must than scratch the F-Type off of your list. In your case, you may have to give up something to get something.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I do not think that 2017 will change the interior. 2017 will introduce the SVR which may or may not have some different interior pieces such as aluminum paddles etc. Rumor has it that an XK replacement will be coming which will be upscale and more expensive. The GLE is a completely different animal. That is an SUV, a cross over like the BMW X6. If you go with the GT S that is a good $30K more. If you go with 63S or similar then you were not in the market for a sports car for sure. No problem just a different car.

Last edited by Schwabe; 10-19-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was researching cars, my thoughts on the AMG GTS and 911 were the same: For $150K+, why do these cars look so boring and why can't they offer the awesome design lines and beauty of the Jag F Type R?
It would seem that the calculus on value gravitates towards priorities.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the critique on the interior. There a few weak points (hex pattern; steering wheel design; certain low end plastic bits; display screens are lower end) that make the car feel cheaper on the inside than the rest of the car is from a looks and performance perspective. Doing the interior in all black and with the alcantara R interior helps. Jaguar should have made real CF or some other form of trim that is used by Range Rover available as options on the R for people who want the higher end interior experience. I believe that would have made the car more compelling for buyers who are considering a 911, BMW 5 or 6 series; MBZ AMG, etc... The infotainment lags relative to the German's but it's better in the Jag than it is in the Rover.

That all said, I've had my FTR for 17 months and over 13,000 miles and while I'm not thrilled with the interior, I love the car. It's been a blast to drive in all different settings and other than a small repair to the rear hatch cargo cover the car has been 100% reliable - nothing has gone wrong.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockminster
Jaguar should have made real CF or some other form of trim that is used by Range Rover available as options on the R for people who want the higher end interior experience. I believe that would have made the car more compelling for buyers who are considering a 911, BMW 5 or 6 series; MBZ AMG, etc...
It is available and has been for some time. JLR offers optional (and pricey) carbon fiber upgrade options for both the interior and exterior trim pieces of the car for those who don't like the aluminum interior trim or painted exterior trim options. I have the carbon fiber mirror caps on my car for example. I've considered replacing the interior trim, but I'm mostly fine with the interior as is. The F-Type interior is still a huge step up from the C7 Z06 I considered, and getting a 911/Cayman/Boxster with an equivalent interior to the F-Type R would require a lot of expensive options... particularly if you add carbon fiber into the mix.

There are also online vendors that offer aftermarket carbon fiber upgrades, plus a few folks on this forum have indicated that they are developing aftermarket carbon fiber replacement trim pieces. So aftermarket options are also available, and more are forthcoming.

Last edited by Merlin; 10-19-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
here is a link to the CF console thread, not everyone's cup of tea but available ... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...onsole-138737/
Ooooh...I thought I'd like the CF, but it turns out I was wrong, which surprises me. Too much going on, although maybe seeing it in real life might give a different opinion.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
It is available and has been for some time. JLR offers optional (and pricey) carbon fiber upgrade options for both the interior and exterior trim pieces of the car for those who don't like the aluminum interior trim or painted exterior trim options. I have the carbon fiber mirror caps on my car for example. I've considered replacing the interior trim, but I'm mostly fine with the interior as is. The F-Type interior is still a huge step up from the C7 Z06 I considered, and getting a 911/Cayman/Boxster with an equivalent interior to the F-Type R would require a lot of expensive options... particularly if you add carbon fiber into the mix.

There are also online vendors that offer aftermarket carbon fiber upgrades, plus a few folks on this forum have indicated that they are developing aftermarket carbon fiber replacement trim pieces. So aftermarket options are also available, and more are forthcoming.
There is? I know there was/is a factory exterior carbon package but I don't recall an interior carbon option. It's the interior where I think there is a need and market for an enhanced factory (not aftermarket) upgrade.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

There is? I know there was/is a factory exterior carbon package but I don't recall an interior carbon option. It's the interior where I think there is a need and market for an enhanced factory (not aftermarket) upgrade.
Yes, for example the center console trim in carbon fiber is part number T2R5267 and runs between $900 and $1,100 USD for the part. It is a dealer installed option just like the carbon fiber exterior trim pieces, so whether you order it with the vehicle or afterwards, it is installed at the dealer. You can also just order the parts and replace the trim pieces yourself, most are pretty easy.

The aftermarket option is nice since JLR pricing on the CF trim pieces is pretty outrageous compared to aftermarket costs for the same materials.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Ooooh...I thought I'd like the CF, but it turns out I was wrong, which surprises me. Too much going on, although maybe seeing it in real life might give a different opinion.
I feel that the CF would look better with a more muted interior color to match the CF (maybe black or camel). The clash of gold color fiber with a red interior, as you say, is a bit busy.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

The CF IMHO looks fantastic. This picture was taken with flash inside my garage, makes the red pop more as well as the fibers reflecting deeper in the piece which makes it look golden. You would not notice the CF piece in person unless you looked for it. The quality of the piece is outstanding in person.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

This picture was taken with flash inside my garage, makes the red pop more as well as the fibers reflecting deeper in the piece which makes it look golden.
Understood. I've had absolutely no success in taking photos of the interior that, to the naked (or even bespectacled) eye, resemble the actual appearance even remotely.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-20-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:34 PM

The CF IMHO looks fantastic. This picture was taken with flash inside my garage, makes the red pop more as well as the fibers reflecting deeper in the piece which makes it look golden. You would not notice the CF piece in person unless you looked for it. The quality of the piece is outstanding in person.

I don't see a photo - would love to see what it looks like.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I don't see a photo - would love to see what it looks like.
Click the link at the end of post #20.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

The picture was in the other thread I linked to in my first post ... again you would not notice the CF piece if you did not look for it when you get in the car ... it really is the reflection of the flash of the camera that makes it stand out as much ... the texture is beautifully deep though when you look at it up close

Old 04-13-2022, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ridgeback
I have been eyeing the FTR for the past 4 months. I test drove it the other day. Awesome handling, performance, and exhaust sound. Beautiful exterior, which is hard to beat. I was looking to order the FTR with carbon ceramic brakes.
My biggest hang up is the interior. I am having a hard time getting over the fake carbon ceramic look, the cheap plastic parts, and lack of technology. Yes I understand the sport car purists just care about the driving experience, but I would expect a luxury brand like Jaguar for $120k to be much better quality. Btw, I own a 2012 XFR with beautiful real carbon fiber interior and lack of cheap plastic parts that I paid $86k new.
I also wanted to check out the Merc GT S AMG so I drove across the street to the MB dealer. They didn't have the GT S but what caught my eye was a black on black new model GLE 63s AMG coupe for $120k loaded. I know it is a completely different car then the FTR, but interior was beautiful and technology was amazing. 5.5L biturbo V8 with 577 HP 561 lb torque. It had the AMG performance exhaust on it which sounded almost like the FTR. Handling and driving experience is different bc it's 5200lbs.

Why doesn't Jaguar step up and put at least the same type of quality interior as the XFR that costs $20-30k less?i Is there any other luxury brand that sells a car for over $100k and puts that type of interior in it? l will probably wait for the 2017 model to come out to see if anything changes. Your guys thoughts on this? Anyone else bothered by this?
is that fake carbon fiber really??

Old 04-14-2022, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior Trim

The picture was in the other thread I linked to in my first post ... again you would not notice the CF piece if you did not look for it when you get in the car ... it really is the reflection of the flash of the camera that makes it stand out as much ... the texture is beautifully deep though when you look at it up close

My only real complaint is that Black plastic around the controls in the center of shifter no car company should use that stuff I have had it in so many cars and I am a neat freak but there is no way when cleaning or just using a car that it does not end up like this photo. Always looks beat to hell ya know

Old 04-14-2022, 09:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the Mercedes I have that car as well its my daily a beast and will literally go anywhere