F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F Type R dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar F Type R dilemma

I have been eyeing the FTR for the past 4 months. I test drove it the other day. Awesome handling, performance, and exhaust sound. Beautiful exterior, which is hard to beat. I was looking to order the FTR with carbon ceramic brakes.
My biggest hang up is the interior. I am having a hard time getting over the fake carbon ceramic look, the cheap plastic parts, and lack of technology. Yes I understand the sport car purists just care about the driving experience, but I would expect a luxury brand like Jaguar for $120k to be much better quality. Btw, I own a 2012 XFR with beautiful real carbon fiber interior and lack of cheap plastic parts that I paid $86k new.
I also wanted to check out the Merc GT S AMG so I drove across the street to the MB dealer. They didn't have the GT S but what caught my eye was a black on black new model GLE 63s AMG coupe for $120k loaded. I know it is a completely different car then the FTR, but interior was beautiful and technology was amazing. 5.5L biturbo V8 with 577 HP 561 lb torque. It had the AMG performance exhaust on it which sounded almost like the FTR. Handling and driving experience is different bc it's 5200lbs.

Why doesn't Jaguar step up and put at least the same type of quality interior as the XFR that costs $20-30k less?i Is there any other luxury brand that sells a car for over $100k and puts that type of interior in it? l will probably wait for the 2017 model to come out to see if anything changes. Your guys thoughts on this? Anyone else bothered by this?

Old 10-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

I'll let others expound in a more detailed if not articulate way - and, for the most part, I see where you're coming from (literally and figuratively) - but here's my quick take:

It is what it is.

A stunning automobile regardless of it's shortcomings. (Assuming one thinks it has many or any). I love mine!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default pardon my tautology (it is what it is)

Yet another post on "why isn't the F-Type something other than what it is?"

Every car has pros and cons. You're "hung up" on the F-Type R's interior; you're "having a hard time getting over it." You've noticed that other cars have better interiors and/or better technology.

Solutions:
1. Buy another car.
2. If you decide that the pro-con mix is better in the F-Type R than in any of the competitors, buy an F-Type.

"Anyone else bothered by this (the interior)?" you ask. Why should that matter to you? It would be your car.

The following 5 users liked this post by Frenchy:
99Gsp (10-18-2015), CaptainHam (10-18-2015), Foosh (10-18-2015), jmfan (10-18-2015), Stohlen (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

I never felt that the F type had a low quality interior, (aside from the fake carbon fiber like center console pieces which can easily be replaced by the real version jaguar offers) so i'm always surprised to see most everyone feels this way. As far as technology goes, the F type wasn't intended to be a grand tourer with adaptive this and automatic that... its not intended to be a luxury car, just like a 911, or Mclaren or whatever. From what it sounds like, you're looking for something with more technology/luxury than beauty/performance. That being said, the F type probably isn't the car for you.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

On the technology question:

I run a 2002 330 coupe as a shopping car. I've owned it for over 3 years now, and literally only discovered today that it has cruise control.

If toys are your thing, there are better cars - even amongst Jaguar's range.

😎

Old 10-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I never felt that the F type had a low quality interior, (aside from the fake carbon fiber like center console pieces which can easily be replaced by the real version jaguar offers) so i'm always surprised to see most everyone feels this way. As far as technology goes, the F type wasn't intended to be a grand tourer with adaptive this and automatic that... its not intended to be a luxury car, just like a 911, or Mclaren or whatever. From what it sounds like, you're looking for something with more technology/luxury than beauty/performance. That being said, the F type probably isn't the car for you.
Well it's all in the eye of what your internal benchmark is. But for me it is definitely a low quality interior. The center console in particular looks very cheap, and so do the AC Vents. I also think the gauge cluster looks very cheap.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

cost issue...Jag probably calculated that a nicer interior would make the F-Type $10-$20K more expensive. At that price point they probably calculated that it would hurt sales. I do agree that he interior is lacking compared to cars costing 1/2 as much.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Well it's all in the eye of what your internal benchmark is. But for me it is definitely a low quality interior. The center console in particular looks very cheap, and so do the AC Vents. I also think the gauge cluster looks very cheap.
Right, and based upon many of your postings since you took delivery, my perception has been that perhaps it's not the right car for you either. That's certainly not a criticism, it's just about the characteristics of a vehicle that are important for any given person.

I agree it's not as nice as the interior in my wife's less expensive '15 C300, but I don't care. As far as I'm concerned, it is attractive, certainly acceptable, very comfortable, does everything I want it to do, and suits the type of car it is.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I wish my S had adaptive cruise, a much better infotainment system, a built-in tea maker, and probably a couple of other things...but I knew all of that before I ordered, so they clearly weren't showstoppers and so I can't complain now (and I'm most definitely not).

Most of all, I bought it because it looks awesome, and drives even better, and the interior is certainly not an unpleasant place to be.

If you have that many hang-ups with it, it's clearly not the car for you. And I wouldn't bother waiting for the 2017, I doubt you'll get anything significant to resolve all your issues.

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I didn't realize that the honeycomb etching on the dash was even supposed to be emulating CF. In fact, it is so far removed, to me, it just looks like an interesting texture quite suited for a higher end sports car.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I didn't realize that the honeycomb etching on the dash was even supposed to be emulating CF. In fact, it is so far removed, to me, it just looks like an interesting texture quite suited for a higher end sports car.
Yeah, I don't buy the faiux CF effect either. It's called Hex and is clearly not even close to replicating CF, it just is what it is.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

There's also a light hex. It's not supposed to be emulating CF, it's aluminum. Looks classy and expensive to me.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-18-2015 at 03:48 PM.
CamryGuy (10-25-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 04:09 PM
DFW
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

These posts always make me laugh - especially from the "I'm thinking about buying an F Type but it's not a _______." Hey, maybe it's not the car for you - especially if the interior of a two-seater is a big draw.

I'll say this - no one has ever entered my Jag and said "Gee, what an average interior." They usually say "Can we slow down a little?" To which I respond "Hold on to the chicken handle in the middle."

The following 4 users liked this post by DFW:
CamryGuy (10-25-2015), ImNotFamousAnymore (10-19-2015), TomFType (10-20-2015), TR64ever (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Exterior style is what grabbed me.
If you think the interior isn't up to MB standards and the exterior isn't moving your soul, buy the MB.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I like the interior of my R ... it feels good, comfortable and functional.

Although it took me a about 2 weeks of driving the car to really notice the interior.. too busy having fun.

Lawrence.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
CamryGuy (10-25-2015), TR64ever (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I like the interior, I don't seem to notice all these little complaints. The carbon fiber on my SLK55 was a $2400 extra as it is on Porsche, Audi R8, etc. I paid extra to get the extended leather and the brogue interior, part of the market. The base XF is very plain you have to model up to get nicer, even an XFR is still a XF, nice but not a sports car with active suspension, it is much older XK engineering. Kia's have great upgrade interiors on some models, their strength.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:34 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Try finding another car in the F types class for $120000 with carbon ceramic brakes with a better interior?

CamryGuy (10-25-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I agree and I like it a lot. I'm getting a little tired of the carbon fiber look...even though I replaced every piece of plastic on my Triumph Speed Triple R with it.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a 2012 XFR and now the F Type convertible S V8. The interior is all sports car. I love the retro look and thought that went into the design. Touch sensitive light switch, interior mood lighting, vent pop up, toggle style switches and console knobs. Reminds me of my older Porsches. Here in Los Angeles AMGs are driven by Iranians and there are plenty of them. Not so with the Jag. I get a compliment at least once a week on the Jag and it's a 2014 MY.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

It is whatever is important to you. There is no agreeing. I would like the performance of a turbo S, the interior of a Vantage V12S roadster, the sound of a Italia 458 for the price of the F-Type.
The Jag drives circles around the AM but does not have the exclusivity or interior looks. This weekend I went to Pocono Raceway for a roll race. My XKR-S with over 600hp got its azz handed even by Mazda 3s etc. Made me think about another 997.2 turbo S build just for that ... then again, it was starting in the low 30s with even some flurries and here is a shot of my dash ...

Name:  IMG_20151017_094901.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  1.04 MB

so I was quite comfortable with heated seats and steering wheel, drove my car home, not on a trailer but was not really able to put up a fight... that moment I wanted a faster car ... but that is just a moment of my car ownership, not even 1% of my driving every year. The other times when I go on a drive with my friends I have a unique car, always stands out, is always at the front of the power spectrum, is comfortable, sounds awesome, easy to drive and handle and makes me happy all around. So see what you use your car the most for. If the interior is such a drag and you have maybe company in your car a lot you may want something else on the other hand unless you get a GT S no Benz will handle like the F-Type. I have red interior and the CF center console, I agree that the cover for the cup holder is chintzy but the rest looks fantastic IMHO.

here is a link to the CF console thread, not everyone's cup of tea but available ... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...onsole-138737/

Last edited by Schwabe; 10-19-2015 at 10:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schwabe:
CamryGuy (10-25-2015), CaptainHam (10-19-2015), TR64ever (10-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Jaguar F Type R dilemma