F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a '15 R coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just bought a '15 R coupe

... in Canada as a summer weekend car with only 3500 miles !

Sold my 1st Jag (X-type AWD 3.0 bought new 12 years ago) 5 years ago and now back to it after test driving a Ferrari 360, 430, 599, BMW M4, AMG GT, 991.1 991.2, Vantage S, Audi R8 V10+ etc..
The F type won me in the end !

Took delivery of the car today and have noticed two small things.
First of all, there is a buzzing noise coming from the central AC vents and I have found at least one thread related to this issue but I do not think that there is yet a TSB about this problem so I guess I will have to live with it.
As soon as I switch the AC off, the buzz goes away completely. Does anybody know if there's a way to keep those vents up all the time even when the AC is switched off ? I'm sure if I pull out a fuse, it could work but I don't know which one. That little motor will fail one day and seriously, I prefer the look of the interior with the vents up and I do use the AC all the time anyway.

Second little problem is that the aluminium trim on the passenger side near the side window is detaching itself. It looks to be glued on and maybe the double sided tape has failed. Does anybody know if this trim is only glued or if there are any plastic bits holding it to the car ? I am pretty sure it is a mix of both kind of attachment with only the last part of the trim having some kind of glue and this is the part which has failed.

Besides that, the car is a blast to drive and is gorgeous in lunar grey !

Cheers

Alex

Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,187 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Great car and great colour Alex!
There is a setting to make the central vent stay open all the time.
On the central touch screen press "Climate" (depending on the default buttons, which are configurable, you may need to press "Extra features" first).
Then "Settings".
Then "Centre vent - Always open"
The lifting trim piece is a common problem on the F-Type.
If the car is still under warranty you should be able to get it fixed free of charge, and the dealer fix is to replace with new.
I had the same problem on the driver's side, but not as bad as some, the trim had lifted right at the end by only about 2 mm, but enough to annoy me.
I simply got a tube of gel superglue and very carefully using a toothpick dabbed a tiny bit in the gap, then held it down tight for about a minute. This was around six months ago and it hasn't moved a micron since.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
calvado (08-04-2017), jaguny (08-04-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 PM

Thanks Oz for the tips !
I really do need to read that manual one day.
My trim piece has lifted also at the end by about 2-3 mm along a length of 1 cm.
I think I'll ask the dealer what is their solution. If they want to just glue it I will do it myself but if they want to replace the whole piece under warranty then why not.
My car has the original 4 years warranty ending in 18 months but I also do have additional 2 years of warranty but if I'm not mistaken, stuff like trims is not covered by this extended warranty in Canada.
I could also use epoxy glue or even insert a small bit of 3M double sided tape in the gap.
Let's see what their solution is first.

Cheers
Alex

Old 08-04-2017, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

calvado,
Your ac buzzing is also a known issue and is the result of a loose ac tube in the engine compartment, I believe. That will indeed be fixed under warranty as well. They do not need a TSB to make your car right.

The following users liked this post:
calvado (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Just as an FYI in regards to the window trim...

I've got a 2015 R coupe, and my passenger side trim was coming up also. I dropped the car off for its first service and mentioned the trim to the dealer, and that I had read it's a common issue. Dealer declined the repair under warranty.

I brought to their attention that there are many members on this forum with the exact same issue, and have had it covered under warranty, so they went back to Jaguar and got it approved under warranty.

Mind you, this dealer was terrible at addressing the speaker rattle, and I will never service my car there again, however...if your dealer denies the trim under warranty, I would press them to get it covered.

The following users liked this post:
calvado (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:08 AM

I think it's related to the fact the the line of the body of the car at this particular point gently curves down so the trim has difficulty staying attached at this stress point.
I wonder if the replacement trim will eventually fail as well.
In any case, this should be covered by original warranty since it's a manufactured defect

Cheers

Alex

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
Just as an FYI in regards to the window trim...

I've got a 2015 R coupe, and my passenger side trim was coming up also. I dropped the car off for its first service and mentioned the trim to the dealer, and that I had read it's a common issue. Dealer declined the repair under warranty.

I brought to their attention that there are many members on this forum with the exact same issue, and have had it covered under warranty, so they went back to Jaguar and got it approved under warranty.

Mind you, this dealer was terrible at addressing the speaker rattle, and I will never service my car there again, however...if your dealer denies the trim under warranty, I would press them to get it covered.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by calvado
I think it's related to the fact the the line of the body of the car at this particular point gently curves down so the trim has difficulty staying attached at this stress point.
I wonder if the replacement trim will eventually fail as well.
In any case, this should be covered by original warranty since it's a manufactured defect

Cheers

Alex
Correct. Several model years, and coupe/convertibles have had the same issue...so it must be a manufacturers defect or "bad engineering".

Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
calvado,
Your ac buzzing is also a known issue and is the result of a loose ac tube in the engine compartment, I believe. That will indeed be fixed under warranty as well. They do not need a TSB to make your car right.
I took my 2015 'R' coupe in for this issue and the tech claims they cannot reproduce it. I took him for a drive a claims he cannot hear anything. It is over 2 years with the car now and I learned to live with the annoying buzz. It only happens in sport and dynamic when AC is on.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM

according to parts.com

https://parts.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...5-%20Liter-GAS

there is only one retaining bracket (part number 6) and I'm pretty sure that the end of the trim is only glued in place... which would explain the premature fail.

Last edited by calvado; 08-04-2017 at 10:17 AM.