F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a little CF (wrap)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:47 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneB
What about doing the grill surround to match the grill center bar? Or better yet get rid of the center bar?
I considered doing the grill surround... I still may, but I don't know that I need to do that in CF. I might just wrap it in black, but probably not since I don't mind a bit of chrome on the car.

As for removing the center bar, that would look cleaner but I don't think that is really doable. As far as I know, the front parking sensors and tow hook are integrated into that bar, so I imagine it is designed to be semi-permanent, and I wouldn't want to lose those sensors.

I may end up changing things up a bit. I want to make sure I don't over do it with the CF... so I might hold off on the center bar depending on how things look without it. If I don't do that I might just end up having them wrap the rear diffuser/valance instead, though I am not terribly excited about that since few will really see/appreciate it unless they're really up close I do like how it looks on enderle's car though.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Yeah, as stated, I'm not 100% liking it at the moment either. I'm leaving it until the side skirts are wrapped to see how the entire side profile looks. IT may come off...
Since this is becoming a poll of sorts on the fuel door CF wrap, it's awful!

With regard to the F-Type, one of the most common comments/compliments is with regard to how beautiful the design is and the seam-less, curvy, flowing nature of the body. Why would you want to highlight a fuel door, which ideally one would want to make disappear?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
As for removing the center bar, that would look cleaner but I don't think that is really doable. As far as I know, the front parking sensors and tow hook are integrated into that bar, so I imagine it is designed to be semi-permanent, and I wouldn't want to lose those sensors.
The grille is two pieces on either side of the bar, so the bar can't really be removed (in addition to the reasons you gave) without having some kind of custom grille made.

The following users liked this post:
Merlin (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 03:22 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

another vote forhorrible on the fuel filler flap, but the other biits look good. I do think you can overdo the CF though, some little touches are nice but it can be overdone.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

how durable is wrap around the exhaust in the rear? I don't like my rear body color valence but worry the heat will melt a wrap near the exhaust

Old 06-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
Like the look on the front spoiler blades. Not a fan of it on the fuel door.

Lose the dealer license plate frame too unless they are paying you to advertise them.

+1

Old 06-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Well, I removed the dealer plate and pulled off the CF wrap from the fuel door (at least for now)

the CF wrap I ordered from Amazon was supposed to come per the foot... I ordered quantity of 6 for six feet... I was shipped sex seperate one foot sections... Of course, that's getting returned, and I'll have to wait a few more days to play with the side skirts.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts
Default CF

Here's a link to a few pic of one of the members of the UK F-Type Owners Club cars:

A few enhancements - Jaguar F-Type Forums

Made a smashing job of covering the front and side valences.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Has anyone wrapped the exhausts yet? I believe it can be done with special heat resistant material/paint and give a carbon look.....

Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by alexg
Has anyone wrapped the exhausts yet? I believe it can be done with special heat resistant material/paint and give a carbon look.....
I have considered that, as well as plasti-dip on the exhausts. I know for sure that plasti-dip has the heat tolerance to support it, but I'm not certain about the vinyl.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Here's a link to a few pic of one of the members of the UK F-Type Owners Club cars:

A few enhancements - Jaguar F-Type Forums

Made a smashing job of covering the front and side valences.
I like the idea of covering the insde of the sills mine always get dirty getting in & out.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default matching the Jaguar wrap

I have never tried the wrap process. What I have seen in person does not seem to match up to the Jag real C/F on my rear spoiler, it is darker more black , the jag is more golden black .the pic shows the side foglight cover in real C/F and the DRL light is dipped which is more silver black. Who sells the nearest match. ??

Attached Thumbnails Just a little CF (wrap)-dsc03423.jpg   Just a little CF (wrap)-dsc03370.jpg   Just a little CF (wrap)-dsc03154.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
I have never tried the wrap process. What I have seen in person does not seem to match up to the Jag real C/F on my rear spoiler, it is darker more black , the jag is more golden black .the pic shows the side foglight cover in real C/F and the DRL light is dipped which is more silver black. Who sells the nearest match. ??
I don't know which is the closest match, but I know you can get samples in something a 3" x 5" of all the different shades (and colors) of the 3M Di-Noc..

Carbon Fiber Wrap Vinyl Sample

sherbercars (06-10-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 PM

Btw, from what my installer tells me, the 3M DI-NOC film is not rated for exterior applications, it is only meant for interior use. They have used DI-NOC for exterior wraps in the past it seems to hold up fine, but it doesn't carry a warranty for that purpose. So it has more chance to fade or peel in a shorter time frame.

For exterior use, they use the 3M recommended series 1080 wrap film which is intended for that purpose, and comes in a wide variety of finishes, including several carbon fiber options. That is what they used for the CF parts on my car.

sherbercars (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Btw, from what my installer tells me, the 3M DI-NOC film is not rated for exterior applications, it is only meant for interior use. They have used DI-NOC for exterior wraps in the past it seems to hold up fine, but it doesn't carry a warranty for that purpose. So it has more chance to fade or peel in a shorter time frame.

For exterior use, they use the 3M recommended series 1080 wrap film which is intended for that purpose, and comes in a wide variety of finishes, including several carbon fiber options. That is what they used for the CF parts on my car.
Does it match the real Jag C/F . what is the part no , do you have any Pics. Thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

I have heard similar things, although I was told the Di-NOC should hold up externally for 3 - 5 years. I always garage my car, including while at work. It doesn't sit out in the sun for long...

Additionally, I think the Di-Noc has a texture to it where the 1080 does not. (I prefer the texture) Either way, if I remove it in a few years, I still consider it some additional paint protection...

Old 06-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

TX, since you guys seem to have pissed off the weather gods this year, I would imagine your car rarely sees the outdoors.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
TX, since you guys seem to have pissed off the weather gods this year, I would imagine your car rarely sees the outdoors.
On the contrary... I have 4000 miles on it since I took delivery 6 weeks ago.

I've had it out in the floods, had to take a few detours, taken it "mudding" (Yes the AWD works wonders in 4 to 5 inches of MUD) I wish I had taken pictures. There was mud caked in the shock towers, and I literally shoveled mud off my driveway after I washed it... Been to a few autocross events with my son (didn't enter the F-Type though) and next month I'm taking a 3000 mile cross country trip.

I love this car and it goes everywhere as long as HAIL is not in the forecast.

Last edited by TXJagR; 06-16-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a link to a site that compares the Di-NOC to the 1080...

Also, not mentioned here is that 1080 is thinner 3.5 mils versus the Di-NOC 8.3 mils. Only my opinion but the thicker should hold up longer against scuffs scratches and general vehicle abuse, however, the thinner should be easier to apply, especially on complex surfaces.

Underground Graphics: 3M? Di-Noc? vs 3M? Series 1080 Carbon Fibre Vinyl - what's the difference?

You can decide for yourself, I don't think there is a "Wrong" choice, just a little different.

Last edited by TXJagR; 06-16-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
On the contrary... I have 4000 miles on it since I took delivery 6 weeks ago.

I've had it out in the floods, had to take a few detours, taken it "mudding" (Yes the AWD works wonders in 4 to 5 inches of MUD) I wish I had taken pictures. There was mud caked in the shock towers, and I literally shoveled mud off my driveway after I washed it... Been to a few autocross events with my son (didn't enter the F-Type though) and next month I'm taking a 3000 mile cross country trip.

I love this car and it goes everywhere as long as HAIL is not in the forecast.
Bravo!

More than anything, I was being sympathetic to the fact that "Bill" is now headed your way after the torrential downpours and flooding of a couple of weeks ago. I spent 4 years in Austin in graduate school and have a soft spot for central Texas. Actually, I absolutely love it there.

Quick Reply: Just a little CF (wrap)