Sponsored by:

Just a little CF (wrap)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Bravo!

More than anything, I was being sympathetic to the fact that "Bill" is now headed your way after the torrential downpours and flooding of a couple of weeks ago. I spent 4 years in Austin in graduate school and have a soft spot for central Texas. Actually, I absolutely love it there.
Being in TX for for quite a number of years, us Texans generally don't like "Bill", most of us prefer Bush...

So far Bill is a bust up in North TX at least. We really don't need any more water right now. Generally the flooding is pretty much off the roads, the lakes are just OVER full. With the heat up in the 90s already some of the local lakes still have beaches and boat ramps closed due to too much water. (Last year they were closed because there was NO water...)

and you're post reminds me that I need to take a day trip to Austin, and College Station this summer as well. Have to visit UT Austin and Texas A&M as my son will be a senior next year and we're going to visit some college campuses.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey folks,

I promised some photos of the CF wrap work I had done, and finally got around to taking some photos. Most of the photos of the front splitter and rear valance/diffuser area didn't come out right so these will have to do for now. I couldn't figure out how to add these as an album, so hopefully it works itself out.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (06-29-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

Looks great!!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts
Default CF wrap

That looks great , Good job well done.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Just a little CF (wrap)

Would love to see a shot of the side profile now that you've got the side skirts wrapped in a dark color. That's what I plan on doing. Hoping it restores the visual lines of the previous model year.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Tasteful and looking good Merlin. Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?

Old 06-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm generally not a fan of carbon fiber wraps, but that looks great!

The front splitter and side skirts almost look gloss in some of the photos, which I really like. Which vinyl is that? Did you gloss over the vinyl in those areas?

Old 06-28-2015, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
Would love to see a shot of the side profile now that you've got the side skirts wrapped in a dark color. That's what I plan on doing. Hoping it restores the visual lines of the previous model year.
I'll see what I can do. I still have to affix the CF mirror caps so I'll probably take some more pictures after that. I'll also pull off the Sto N Show licence plate in the front and take some better pictures of the splitter as well.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by alexg
Tasteful and looking good Merlin. Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?
I had professionals do it. I don't have the skill or patience to do it myself.

All the work was done by Vinyl Styles in San Carlos, CA.

alexg (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by BierNut
I'm generally not a fan of carbon fiber wraps, but that looks great!

The front splitter and side skirts almost look gloss in some of the photos, which I really like. Which vinyl is that? Did you gloss over the vinyl in those areas?
The tires are real CF, and the mirror caps will be as well, but we used the same vinyl all around for everything else, which is the 3M 1080 Black CF. It is naturally a bit glossy, so there was no need to add a second layer clear gloss.

The following 2 users liked this post by Merlin:
alexg (06-28-2015), BierNut (06-28-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I know everybody here except me thought the fuel cap wrap looks bad...decided to try it for myself. Orange is one of my favorite colors, so naturally orange it is. People in SF probably think I'm a huge Giants fan. LOL

Old 08-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

IMO if you're going to keep the fuel door orange, you need a few more pieces of orange highlights somewhere else...

Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
IMO if you're going to keep the fuel door orange, you need a few more pieces of orange highlights somewhere else...
Yup, just playing around for now. I'm thinking about doing the 2 front side splitter thing (not the center one), the non-CF lower side of the mirrors and the black wheel mud thingy. That would give it a white / orange contrast. The fuel door is the easiest thing to do. The other pieces I would probably get professional done since I don't have the skill/patience to do a clean job on more intricate/curvy pieces.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:10 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I removed the dealer plate and pulled off the CF wrap from the fuel door (at least for now)

the CF wrap I ordered from Amazon was supposed to come per the foot... I ordered quantity of 6 for six feet... I was shipped sex seperate one foot sections... Of course, that's getting returned, and I'll have to wait a few more days to play with the side skirts.
Awesome Thread you guys! I'm hoping my patience allows me to do this myself on my Polaris White R with Black Pack. I've never done this before. I'm only interested in the two front side fins TXJagR showed on the first post and the side sills.

TXJagR, Which CF finish did you go with? Do you have a link? And you order 6-six feet tubes to complete all the areas you did? Did you feel that was an adequate amount or too much--I don't plan to do as many areas as you? Also, did you ever post pics of your completed side sills?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
TXJagR, Which CF finish did you go with? Do you have a link? And you order 6-six feet tubes to complete all the areas you did? Did you feel that was an adequate amount or too much--I don't plan to do as many areas as you? Also, did you ever post pics of your completed side sills?
Kief,

I used the Black 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film. I never actually completed the side skirts. I've been too busy driving... and I'm not sure I want to do CF or just black, probably gloss, but maybe matte...

If I complete the project myself, I'll use the 3M 1080 wrap instead. It's a little thinner and works better around curves and contours. As for how much I ordered... I just got a small amount to play with. You can find it on Amazon or Ebay very easily.

Oh, one more area I did wrap... my inner door sills. I was tired of seeing the drivers side get scuffed from getting into and out of the car. Now it's protected!

Kief (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Kief,

I used the Black 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film. I never actually completed the side skirts. I've been too busy driving... and I'm not sure I want to do CF or just black, probably gloss, but maybe matte...

If I complete the project myself, I'll use the 3M 1080 wrap instead. It's a little thinner and works better around curves and contours. As for how much I ordered... I just got a small amount to play with. You can find it on Amazon or Ebay very easily.

Oh, one more area I did wrap... my inner door sills. I was tired of seeing the drivers side get scuffed from getting into and out of the car. Now it's protected!
Thanks.
After I posted, I actually found your Thread on PlastiDip. Been watching a bunch of YT videos on it and the Black with Glossifier looks promising and probably a hell of a lot easier!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

the problem with plasti-dip is that even professionally installed it only lasts a few months. I've also heard that the longer it stays on, the harder it is to remove.