Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Lance, you have to be careful with IR thermometers - some surfaces like shiny aluminum
Less concerned with the absolute temps than the differential. The temperature differential I took was actually taken at the exterior hood surface (with/without engine cover underneath). This was all done prepolish.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-14-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

With a reflective surface, I don't think you'd get a reasonable differential, since a big component of what the thermometer would see is IR reflected from something else.

Actually, polishing Al makes very little difference as it turns out. An IR thermal camera at work came with a list of emissivities:
Aluminum, polished: 0.05
Aluminum, rough surface: 0.07
Aluminum, strongly oxidized: 0.25

I tried one of these IR thermometers to set up my baseboard heating system at home: shiny copper has an emissivity of 0.01, so I couldn't get anything meaningful off the pipes. But when I stuck on some black plastic electrical tape (E=0.95), then I could get a reading.

Sorry for the long-winded aside...

Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Ultimately I guess the charge cooler removes most of the heat through conduction into the coolant but there will be some emission through radiation, especially given it's large surface area. Polishing it to a highly reflective finish would reduce the infra red emissions (heat loss through radiation) significantly I would think. Good for protecting the hood but not so much for cooling efficiency.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
Ultimately I guess the charge cooler removes most of the heat through conduction into the coolant but there will be some emission through radiation, especially given it's large surface area. Polishing it to a highly reflective finish would reduce the infra red emissions (heat loss through radiation) significantly I would think. Good for protecting the hood but not so much for cooling efficiency.
radiant heat xfer will be minor compared to convective heat xfer. The only place that radiant heat can go is the engine cover (or the paint job if the cover is removed). Much better to eliminate any restriction to the airflow across that charge cooler.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossover pipe

Originally Posted by Terrance39
I just recently replaced almost the entire cooling system on my 15 R. My water pump went out and I took that opportunity to replace everything from the thermostat to the hoses, orings, and lines. Jaguar did supersede a couple parts in the cooling system, including the crossover pipe and the pipe that runs under the charger. The overflow line gets really brittle over time with heat. Barely touched it and it exploded. That made me just change everything out.
2014 F-Type under CPO warranty. Dealer says coolant leak is crossover pipe and quotes $1600 to cover the repair. I can find the part sub one hundred USD. I believe JLR covers labor but not the "hose"... am I getting misquoted here?

Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Coming from the XKR to the F-Type, this makes my blood boil. I plan to keep this car for a long time and just don’t need all the problems I encountered with the XKR.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Drove the car from Detroit to visit family in Chattanooga, one morning decided to drive The Tail of the Dragon and after some spirited driving in a 90 degree day noticed coolant temps a smidgen above normal, I pulled over and let it rest for a while. After a few miles, low coolant warning came on and as soon as I stopped steam was coming out of the hood vents. Had the car towed to the closets dealer in Chattanooga at the tune of $500, still waiting for a diagnostic, it has been 3 weeks and they haven't touch it claiming they lost a Tech to California.

2015 V6S 52,000 miles.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 F Type hose

I hope you still have plenty of Warranty left, if not get ready to dish out some cash. The "Coolant Lines" are an Engineering failure, the material these lines are made of cannot withstand the heat that is being smothered by the "Engine Shroud and Hood", they become so brittle over a period of time that they shatter like glass, Jaguar know's of this problem yet refuses to have a recall, there has been a TSB released to all dealers and Auto repair shops of this issue. I not only had to repair the "Over Flow" lines, i had to have the line repaired under the "Super Charger", (ching,ching). Angry , frustrated ? YES I AM, to say the least. Thank you Jaguar for not addressing this issue.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 15 FType 281
I hope you still have plenty of Warranty left, if not get ready to dish out some cash. The "Coolant Lines" are an Engineering failure, the material these lines are made of cannot withstand the heat that is being smothered by the "Engine Shroud and Hood", they become so brittle over a period of time that they shatter like glass, Jaguar know's of this problem yet refuses to have a recall, there has been a TSB released to all dealers and Auto repair shops of this issue. I not only had to repair the "Over Flow" lines, i had to have the line repaired under the "Super Charger", (ching,ching). Angry , frustrated ? YES I AM, to say the least. Thank you Jaguar for not addressing this issue.
Is this problem of coolant lines becoming brittle only for certain years of the car?

If all it would take to avoid the problem is to cool the engine compartment better I could do that. I got rid of those plastic hood vents without much ventilation and installed the wire mesh hood vents from Mina Gallery. It would be easy to get rid of the engine shroud.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:30 PM

I can't tell you what years they have used this material for the coolant lines and /or what models. What i can tell you is covering your lines with a mesh product can help and/or removing your engine shroud would help also which is what a lot of owners are doing. Only problem is, it doesn't address the lines that are beneath the Super Charger or lines that are hidden behind the engine. The worst case scenario is being on a trip somewhere and one of these lines just falls to pieces being so brittle. "YOU WILL BE STRANDED". To make things right JAGUAR needs to have a recall on these lines, they know it's a problem but it's big bucks to repair shops and JAGUAR dealers. Good Luck, traveling!

Old 07-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

I KNEW there was another reason I removed my engine cover!

Old 07-18-2019, 03:12 PM

Good luck, Miauuu, Please keep us informed of the repairs that are needed to get you back on the road. Thanks, 15 FTYPE 281

Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this repair covered under CPO warranty?

Old 07-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

The parts aren't expensive, it's the labor. If you can do the work, it's not that bad.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM

If you purchased the CPO through a Jaguar dealer it should but it depends what type of warranty you purchased also, there are different warranty's for different sections of your car ex: Engine /Tranny, AC/ Climate control etc. normal wear and tear like brake's etc are not covered. Used car dealers have their own type of warranty's so be sure and talk with your Sales person on what coverage they are offering.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:12 AM

Since some on this post asked, here's an update of my issue.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post2107626

Old 08-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I recall reading on XK forum that there are metal pipes available... it would be a poor decision to update bad plastic part with new bad plastic parts.

I think all F-type affected, but are too new to be impacted. We will know in a couple years how pervasive this problem is as earlier F-types start failing. It is Very Common issue on XK/XKRs.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:49 PM

The new pipe is a one piece molded part vs the original design two part ultrasonic welded design which was separating at the seems. No need for metal.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Are their signs of imminent failure?

Old 08-23-2019, 07:52 PM

All i can say jaguny is be very careful when touching or moving those coolant lines, you don't realize it but they have become very brittle. I'd suggest buying the overflow lines that come from the reservoir to the front of the engine from a dealer , they are reasonable, $25-30. Just to be on the safe side.Takes 3 minutes to install if you need to. cya.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (08-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced