F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Has everyone had their eyes tested for cataracts lately?

For those living in notable sunny locations - hopefully you're wearing UV protective shades when out and about...

Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

That video was great, thanks.

I do agree with him that the Xenon lights look nicer, as in how they look on the Porsche. The LED housing and lamps look Fischer Price.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Has everyone had their eyes tested for cataracts lately?

For those living in notable sunny locations - hopefully you're wearing UV protective shades when out and about...

Ya got me, yes, yes and yes!
Adelaide is very sunny and bright most of the year, I had a cataract removed 18 months ago, and I wear UV blocking fitovers when driving if the sun is out.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Owners of the current generation R8 were pretty vocal about the weakness of the new LED headlamps. So LEDs are not always implemented well, even from the manufacturer.

My vote would be for the 5500-6000 Amazon $40 headlight replacements. A cheap and easy compromise.

OSRAM has some great 5500k to 6000k replacement lights that I used for my BMW and those made a very noticeable difference. They are actually they same D1S bulb. The model number is: 66140CBI if you want the cool blue (6000k).
I may end up going with those and see how they look on the jag.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by deltagroup
There are probably some inferior factory LED set-ups out there. But, from a totally subjective "viewpoint" (the equivalent of a "butt dyno" I know), I've been pretty impressed by LED headlamps (e.g., BMW's M cars). Hard to compare without knowing specs and performance measurements, but a decent LED headlamp set-up edges out most HID headlamps IMO.

Though I've enjoyed running Osram's CBI bulb in other rides, I've found the mercury-free D3S bulb (the F-Type OEM bulb spec is D3S, not D1S) rather compromised both in color and lumens compared to a CBI D1S bulb, let alone the OEM D3S bulb that came on my Jag.

Given my general disappointment with the OEM D3S light output, I'd love to retrofit a LED headlamp system. However, with the fussy nature of electronics and the cost-efficient challenge of designing a decent aftermarket LED lens assembly for a vehicle with low production numbers, I'll keep my CBI's and wait for Jaguar to design a LED system.

Glad I noticed your post. I was on OSRAM's website and looked up my car and it gave me the 66140CBI D1S as the replacement bulb for the F Type. I was actually going to buy them this afternoon, but didn't get a chance to. Are the D3S bulbs not as bright as the D1S?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
A good LED headlamp is way better than a good HID headlamp. I've been retrofitting headlamps since 2005 and HIDs do not come close to LED in terms of performance. There are shitty LED like the ones on the new Jaguar XF, and there are amazing ones like on the new Tesla Model S.

The LED headlamps implemented on most luxury cars will produce light in the direction of turns. They typically do this by turning on another LED light which points in the direction of the turn. Our currents HID lights do the same thing, but its done by actually swiveling the lights in the direction of the turn. Both techniques work equally good, but the LEDs outperform in terms of light output in the turns. The new Jaguars also work in a similar fashion by turning on another LED when turning into corners. Are our current HIDs some of the best around? Yes. Are they as good as the new LED technology? No (in terms of lumen output LEDs will outperform).

The only thing I don't like about LED is you don't get that crisp cutoff line you get with HIDs. That flicking blue, purple color is gone. Since LED use a different optic pattern that projectors.

Anyone who tells you a good quality HID is better than a good quality LED just has no clue what they are talking about.

The "turn assist" feature of the current HIDs works by an LED that's roughly 50 degrees or so from the projector axis; it fades on and off as you turn the wheel.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 PM

A good LED headlamp is way better than a good HID headlamp. I've been retrofitting headlamps since 2005 and HIDs do not come close to LED in terms of performance. There are shitty LED like the ones on the new Jaguar XF, and there are amazing ones like on the new Tesla Model S.

The LED headlamps implemented on most luxury cars will produce light in the direction of turns. They typically do this by turning on another LED light which points in the direction of the turn. Our currents HID lights do the same thing, but its done by actually swiveling the lights in the direction of the turn. Both techniques work equally good, but the LEDs outperform in terms of light output in the turns. The new Jaguars also work in a similar fashion by turning on another LED when turning into corners. Are our current HIDs some of the best around? Yes. Are they as good as the new LED technology? No (in terms of lumen output LEDs will outperform).

The only thing I don't like about LED is you don't get that crisp cutoff line you get with HIDs. That flicking blue, purple color is gone. Since LED use a different optic pattern that projectors.

Anyone who tells you a good quality HID is better than a good quality LED just has no clue what they are talking about.

Any ideas on a good conversion kit for our cars?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
The "turn assist" feature of the current HIDs works by an LED that's roughly 50 degrees or so from the projector axis; it fades on and off as you turn the wheel.
Well you get both the swivel from the HID headlamps as well as the LED.

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
Any ideas on a good conversion kit for our cars?
Nope, I bought a used headlamp off Ebay that I was using as a guinea pig and there is no good aftermarket LED that I know of that fits into our housing. Our housing is very compact and doesn't leave much space to work with. I did complete an HID retrofit, which converted the fresnel lens to a clear lens, repositioned the shield to create a cleaner cut-off line, and I went with the CBI HID lights. The output has been greatly improved over stock, but it is still doesn't reach the output of a good quality LED based headlamp.

Last edited by zmoothg; 05-02-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM

Nope, I bought a used headlamp off Ebay that I was using as a guinea pig and there is no good aftermarket LED that I know of that fits into our housing. Our housing is very compact and doesn't leave much space to work with. I did complete an HID retrofit, which converted the fresnel lens to a clear lens, repositioned the shield to create a cleaner cut-off line, and I went with the CBI HID lights. The output has been greatly improved over stock, but it is still doesn't reach the output of a good quality LED based headlamp.
Darn! lol Ok, so you went with the 66140CBI in D3S, or D1S? And thanks for all of your research and effort.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Darn! lol Ok, so you went with the 66140CBI in D3S, or D1S? And thanks for all of your research and effort.
D3S. Topix weirdly states the headlamps use D1S, But in actuality they use D3S. The oem bulbs are also OSRAM

Old 05-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Following. A couple observations

- do not confuse color with the lights ability to allow you to see while driving.

- I don't believe you can make a blanket statement of one light system always being "better" than another in isolation.

- I very much doubt there will be any way to retrofit LED's into our F types without swapping to the new OEM light assemblies........which is likely to be VERY expensive and involved.

2 cents,

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Dan's cat (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
- do not confuse color with the lights ability to allow you to see while driving.
This is definitely true. Only by measuring the true lumen output can you determine the quality of the light. One must also take into account how wide the beam pattern is and how even it is.

- I don't believe you can make a blanket statement of one light system always being "better" than another in isolation.
This is also true, but the best LED headlamp will perform better than the best HID headlamps on the market. There are crappy implementations of the LED, such as the one found on the Audi R8 , Jaguar XF, Ducati. Good implementations include the new 911s and the new Honda Civic.

- I very much doubt there will be any way to retrofit LED's into our F types without swapping to the new OEM light assemblies........which is likely to be VERY expensive and involved.
This is true, no aftermarket installation or bulb will perform as well as a true headlamp built for LED. It is not just about the bulb, but also about how the housing is constructed and the wattage used.

Your only hope for LED lighting is to get your hands on the headlamps from a new F-Type '18, which would be costly and looking at how Jaguar designed its LED headlamps for the XF and F-Pace I have huge doubt they will out perform our HIDs.

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 PM

Ok, as long as you noticed a definitive improvement with the 66340CBI... I'm in.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:54 PM

Following. A couple observations

2 cents,

Dave
I appreciate your input, Dave... I'm knowledgeable on lumens vs. kelvins and I have used the OSRAM CBI bulbs before and they were a definite improvement in the OEM HID bulbs.

As far as LED conversion. I wonder if it would be as hard as you think. I have been reading up on the different kits out there and it seems to me that the biggest thing you have to worry about now-a-days is clearance at the back of the bulb where many have fans, or heat sinks and the length of the LED light itself, as in if it feeds too far forward in the HID prism and maybe disrupting the light pattern. Many of the LED conversion kits of today are plug and play, so there are no extra wires, or large boxes that you have to use. From what I have been reading, what has been the main problem with clearance on the back of the assembly has been changed to "heat dissipation belts" that are flexible and do not take up the room that many of the fans and heat sinks do.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Glad I noticed your post. I was on OSRAM's website and looked up my car and it gave me the 66140CBI D1S as the replacement bulb for the F Type. I was actually going to buy them this afternoon, but didn't get a chance to. Are the D3S bulbs not as bright as the D1S?
The bulbs I took out of my 2015 F-Type R's projectors were definitely D3S bulbs, not D1S. Not sure what to tell you about the OSRAM website. From time to time, I've found that some websites do not correctly list bulb specs (not just for headlamps either) for a given application.

On your question, the D3S CBI bulb I am using is rated less lumens that the D1S. In actual operation, the D3S is not as bright as the D1S, IMO. (The mercury-free design likely has something to do with the bulb's lesser performance.) Absent my having a light meter to measure both the D1S and D3S, they're very close in brightness.

Also, the color will shift over time (usually after 75-100 hrs of use) to a whiter color due to the nature of the bulb mixture.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

As far as LED conversion. I wonder if it would be as hard as you think. I have been reading up on the different kits out there and it seems to me that the biggest thing you have to worry about now-a-days is clearance at the back of the bulb where many have fans, or heat sinks and the length of the LED light itself, as in if it feeds too far forward in the HID prism and maybe disrupting the light pattern. Many of the LED conversion kits of today are plug and play, so there are no extra wires, or large boxes that you have to use. From what I have been reading, what has been the main problem with clearance on the back of the assembly has been changed to "heat dissipation belts" that are flexible and do not take up the room that many of the fans and heat sinks do.
Anything is possible but I have my doubts that a "home-made retrofit" without the benefit of using a proper lamp and reflector designed for LED use would be a positive change. Try it and see, but make sure you when you are all done that the lighting performance is actually better, not just whiter and aimed differently.

Someone could do a "plug and play" LED retrofit solution but a proper one would require various certifications, etc. and given the relatively limited production of the F type is unlikely IMO......but I'm sure Camaros and Mustangs will get something

Not trying to pee in anyone's cornflakes, but I still think the only way to have improved function and LED's will be by using the 2018 Jaguar F type headlight assy.....along with any associated wiring and software changes.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 05-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Retrofitting can have mixed results. The quality of light thrown from the lamp has as much to do with the optics of the lamp as it does with the bulb itself. I've retrofitted a few halogen vehicles with HID kits, and it was never even close to the quality of an OEM HID setup. Something to consider anyway.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Anything is possible but I have my doubts that a "home-made retrofit" without the benefit of using a proper lamp and reflector designed for LED use would be a positive change.
+1

Old 05-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Some mods devalue a car. If someone was successful at doing an LED upgrade - especially if the assembly looked cheezy - knock $2-3k off the selling price of the car down the road. Or factor in the cost of a dealer returning it to OEM as a deficit.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:55 AM

Again as everyone has stated. It's not just about the bulb, the optics of the reflectors or lens matter. My CBI look amazing on my car but I also replaced the fresnel lens with a clear one from theretrofitsource. However while better than any other ftype the Honda Civic LEDS still out perform.

I can take photos of my Guinea pig headlamp if you need. You will clearly see there is no room in the rear to install an aftermarket LED due to the large fan needed by most of the aftermarket LED bulbs. If you are willing to try to create a custom rubber sealer you might have a chance, but would also need to find a LED that works for D3S or D1S. I think theretrofitsource has one for D1S. Maybe I'll get around this summer to attempting a LED conversion on the extra headlamp.