Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
re fuse box, iirc you pull up and rotate it, then move into that nook between headlight and radiator support panel

re metal plug and tab, yes the plug on the end of the bulb
Thanks again Dom!
My new CBI bulbs rolled up a couple of hours ago, and thanks to your help they are now in. Compared to stock they seem a lot whiter and brighter, although so far the only test has been one of each shining on my garage wall.
I didn't need any toothpicks, I just bent the cable connector locking clips open with my favourite ever trusty all-purpose universal MacGyver tool, AKA a thumbnail, then I pushed them off with a small screwdriver.
It took me a while to figure out that you don't twist the bulb/igniter itself, instead you twist the black plastic locking ring behind it using the two tabs on that ring.
The passenger side one was a bear to get at, I couldn't get the power steering fluid reservoir far enough out of the way to both see and feel what I was doing inside the back of the light housing. What worked for me in the end, to make enough room, was to loosen off the mounting bracket clamp on the PS reservoir and rotate it a bit so then I could jam it out the way.
In a couple of hours I will go for a test drive to check out the lights, and also to see if or how much readjusting (left/right up/down) they need, as pulling out and pushing back in the bulbs caused the housings to wobble all over the shop and who knows where they are now pointing!

Old 05-30-2017, 01:53 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

CBI is really the best aftermarket bulb for these cars. Well any car. It's the best balance of lumen and colour output to date. Any one have the new FTYPE with LED? I would love to see a comparison.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:20 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

that's strange, might be v8 vs v6, but my passenger side is a straight in job

my brex have arrived in country, should have them tomorrow or thurs

will post some pics side by side with the osram cbi and will tweak the camera to get the colour as true as i can

Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 AM

Before I begin, I tried to take side by side pics but my iPhone just washed out all the colour

if anyone has any tips let me know

so I put the Brex in tonight, colour is perfect, cut off has heaps of purple so driving you see street signs illuminate purple just like projector leds - in fact reversing out of my driveway the colour looked identical to the leds on my f80 m3

the bad news is the output just isn't good enough to me, especially compared to the cbi. They are definitely brighter than the Philips ultinon, but still not enough light for me

I'm going to try a bit more driving in pitch black areas first before I swap them back out to cbi, so will add some more comments tomorrow

At this point I really think the cbi is still the best option for us in d3s. Osram have a cbh 6000k bulb, rated even higher than the cbi, crazy I know, but it's only available in d2s atm, hopefully they release it in d3s and help some fellow JLR folk out

This is (top to bottom) nightbreaker, cbi, cbh

Attached Thumbnails LED headlight recomendations?-img_1159.jpg  

Last edited by domino_z; 05-31-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Dom,
When you say "metal plug" and "tab", do you mean the metal connector which holds the wiring cable onto the base (igniter) of the bulb, at right angles to it?
Coz that makes sense to me as the only way to get the bulb out.
In the past on other cars with HIDs I've been able to "twist and pull" the bulb out without releasing the cable first, and then undo that clip and release the cable.
Regards the fuse box, yes I undid and removed both nuts, and lifted it off the mounting bolts, but the damn thing still wouldn't move more than a cm or so in any direction! Maybe the V8 set-up is different to the V6, but I doubt it.
Dom, I'm trying to do this right now and have the driver side out, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the cable from the igniter. What do I do?

thanks,
danny

Old 06-03-2017, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
Dom, I'm trying to do this right now and have the driver side out, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the cable from the igniter. What do I do?

thanks,
danny
Sorry, I figured it out. Is there any alignment issues after this? It seems pretty plug and play.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I figured it out. Is there any alignment issues after this? It seems pretty plug and play.
You may have some alignment issues, as I said before removing and replacing the bulbs makes the whole light socket wobble around a fair bit so in my case it was guess work and "by eye" to wobble it back to where I thought it was to start with. Afterwards I found that the LHS light was pointing a bit low so I adjusted it up using the adjuster. Up/down is the smaller adjuster socket, use a 6 mm long shank Allen key and turn it clockwise to raise the light, do just 1/2 a turn at a time then test.

The following users liked this post:
Dan's cat (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 10:33 PM

You may have some alignment issues, as I said before removing and replacing the bulbs makes the whole light socket wobble around a fair bit so in my case it was guess work and "by eye" to wobble it back to where I thought it was to start with. Afterwards I found that the LHS light was pointing a bit low so I adjusted it up using the adjuster. Up/down is the smaller adjuster socket, use a 6 mm long shank Allen key and turn it clockwise to raise the light, do just 1/2 a turn at a time then test.
I don't feel like I pushed them up, or down as I was replacing the bulbs, but I did push them side to side. Does that correct itself with the adaptive lighting?

Old 06-03-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

I don't feel like I pushed them up, or down as I was replacing the bulbs, but I did push them side to side. Does that correct itself with the adaptive lighting?
When I replaced the bulbs the sockets wobbled both up and down and left to right, but as you say it was more pronounced left to right (or side to side).
Funny thing is though when I attempted to adjust them side to side, to see how much they might move, they didn't move at all (and I tried two full turns each way on both of the adjusters). My adaptive lighting is working perfectly, no change at all after changing the bulbs. Either I got lucky and managed to get them back in just the right spot side to side, or as you say they might have auto-corrected.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:04 PM

I have the dynamic light option so when turning the car on the projectors cycle left to right up and down to centre themselves

ps: if anyone wants to try the Philips or brex, let me know before I put them on eBay - $100 each

Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
I have the dynamic light option so when turning the car on the projectors cycle left to right up and down to centre themselves

ps: if anyone wants to try the Philips or brex, let me know before I put them on eBay - $100 each
You still have the Brex bulbs by chance?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan32
You still have the Brex bulbs by chance?
hey mate no i ended up throwing them out, along with a set of morimoto i got from trs that were garbage

Last edited by domino_z; 08-07-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
This is definitely true. Only by measuring the true lumen output can you determine the quality of the light. One must also take into account how wide the beam pattern is and how even it is.

This is also true, but the best LED headlamp will perform better than the best HID headlamps on the market. There are crappy implementations of the LED, such as the one found on the Audi R8 , Jaguar XF, Ducati. Good implementations include the new 911s and the new Honda Civic.

This is true, no aftermarket installation or bulb will perform as well as a true headlamp built for LED. It is not just about the bulb, but also about how the housing is constructed and the wattage used.

Your only hope for LED lighting is to get your hands on the headlamps from a new F-Type '18, which would be costly and looking at how Jaguar designed its LED headlamps for the XF and F-Pace I have huge doubt they will out perform our HIDs.
I have found 2x 2018 LED HEADLIGHTS from Jaguar F type SVR at a good price.
Any idea how to retrofit them to 2016 Jaguar F type R?
Any programing and flashing required?
Or extra wiring?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by JaguarFtypeR
I have found 2x 2018 LED HEADLIGHTS from Jaguar F type SVR at a good price.
Any idea how to retrofit them to 2016 Jaguar F type R?
Any programing and flashing required?
Or extra wiring?
just buy them and work it out

jaguar wouldn't have completely changed the can/wiring in the car for a facelift

as per other thread, i know the harness is different, so worse case you'll need to trace the wires and match them up. if you're lucky the wire colors are still same bw models, if not it's an easy job for an auto elec with a volt meter and some patience

Old 10-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks again Dom!
My new CBI bulbs rolled up a couple of hours ago, and thanks to your help they are now in. Compared to stock they seem a lot whiter and brighter, although so far the only test has been one of each shining on my garage wall.
I didn't need any toothpicks, I just bent the cable connector locking clips open with my favourite ever trusty all-purpose universal MacGyver tool, AKA a thumbnail, then I pushed them off with a small screwdriver.
It took me a while to figure out that you don't twist the bulb/igniter itself, instead you twist the black plastic locking ring behind it using the two tabs on that ring.
The passenger side one was a bear to get at, I couldn't get the power steering fluid reservoir far enough out of the way to both see and feel what I was doing inside the back of the light housing. What worked for me in the end, to make enough room, was to loosen off the mounting bracket clamp on the PS reservoir and rotate it a bit so then I could jam it out the way.
In a couple of hours I will go for a test drive to check out the lights, and also to see if or how much readjusting (left/right up/down) they need, as pulling out and pushing back in the bulbs caused the housings to wobble all over the shop and who knows where they are now pointing!
Any pics of the CBI? what is the part#?