F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at used F-Types and have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking at used F-Types and have a few questions...

My budget right now is $40k, doubt I'll go much higher than that. I've been watching for years and the prices are finally starting to get there.

1) Any general advise about buying a $40k F-Type? Things to look out for?
2) Are these cars fairly easy to work on yourself? There's only one Jaguar dealer in my state and they are 100 miles away.
3) Does the built-in stereo sound good and does it auto-pair with phones via bluetooth? Specifically looking for Spotify compatibility if anyone here uses that...
4) Is the MT or AT better? I was really looking forward to finding a MT, but I've been reading about clutches slipping on folks. Probably don't want to go down that rabbit hole because I know I won't drive it that gently. For those coming from other MT cars, how is the AT?

Old 11-04-2017, 01:40 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by approx
My budget right now is $40k, doubt I'll go much higher than that. I've been watching for years and the prices are finally starting to get there.

1) Any general advise about buying a $40k F-Type? Things to look out for?
2) Are these cars fairly easy to work on yourself? There's only one Jaguar dealer in my state and they are 100 miles away.
3) Does the built-in stereo sound good and does it auto-pair with phones via bluetooth? Specifically looking for Spotify compatibility if anyone here uses that...
4) Is the MT or AT better? I was really looking forward to finding a MT, but I've been reading about clutches slipping on folks. Probably don't want to go down that rabbit hole because I know I won't drive it that gently. For those coming from other MT cars, how is the AT?
I see some base V6 MY2014 for around that price. Some have pretty good options. Most important to me are the performance seats and vision packsge. If you wait a bit longer there will be more lease returns and the price will drop further and you'll be able to get a V6S. eBay will give you some ideas. Also try Craigslist for different areas other than your home just to get yourself some ideas.

Other than topping off the coolant, I'm afraid to touch anything and leave it to my dealer. IMO everything is so tightly packed that you have to take a lot of things off to get to one area. Then there's the possibility of breaking it.

I wanted a MT but it wasn't available for 2014. However, I'm really happy I got the AT and would have preferred it to the MT anyway. Its awesome.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The AT is much better than the MT from a performance perspective but just doesn't offer the fun of 3 pedal shifting. The 3rd generation clutch (anything installed at the factory or replaced by the dealer after about mid-2016) seems to hold nicely. My 2nd gen clutch is now starting to slip (hard acceleration 1st to 2nd shifts) after 15,000 miles of use. The 1st gen clutch would randomly just come apart and would always slip during hard launches. Next time out, I'm having a custom competition clutch built.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I wasn't even considering AT F-type when I was shopping. MT takes driving engagement to the whole new level. If I am going to buy a toy, I want to play with it myself instead of watching it play with itself.

Unfortunately, MT is well out of your budget. They released MT in 2016 and they are still too new to get down to 40K.

Also, LSD for MT is a must-have. I think it is only offered in S trim.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the information everyone, very helpful! Sounds like I might just have to drive an AT to see if I like it... closest one for sale is 260 miles away though.

I did see one 2016 MT for sale, it’s a branded title from lemon law return. Wonder if that was due to the clutch issues or something else. Could be a good pick up at that price though if the clutch has been fixed!

Hmmm... maybe I’ll just have to wait a couple more years until the MT’s start popping up in the market more. Or maybe I’ll love the paddle shifting, will have to try it when I can!

Old 11-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the information everyone, very helpful! Sounds like I might just have to drive an AT to see if I like it... closest one for sale is 260 miles away though.

I did see one 2016 MT for sale, it’s a branded title from lemon law return. Wonder if that was due to the clutch issues or something else. Could be a good pick up at that price though if the clutch has been fixed!

Hmmm... maybe I’ll just have to wait a couple more years until the MT’s start popping up in the market more. Or maybe I’ll love the paddle shifting, will have to try it when I can!
Never... EVER buy a lemon'd car unless you are a mechanic as there is ZERO warranty on them so 100% of the obvious repairs will be on your own. The engine blows and ... it's on you to replace and those aren't cheap. Therefore the MOST any lemon or salvage car should bring would be 50% of the current market value of used so if used are $45K then the most you should spend on a lemon and/or salvage would be $22,500 yet many are out there trying to push them for $40K because... there's a sucker born everyday, right? Don't be that sucker.

There was a single case where a guy rebuilt a salvage and shared pretty much all his work here on this forum. The problem was that he was asking "normal private party prices" for his salvage branded F-Type which is pretty crazy because once you go to resell it in the future, you will also have to list it as salvaged and then you will have to find someone willing to "take a chance".

Old 11-05-2017, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Never... EVER buy a lemon'd car unless you are a mechanic as there is ZERO warranty on them so 100% of the obvious repairs will be on your own. The engine blows and ... it's on you to replace and those aren't cheap. Therefore the MOST any lemon or salvage car should bring would be 50% of the current market value of used so if used are $45K then the most you should spend on a lemon and/or salvage would be $22,500 yet many are out there trying to push them for $40K because... there's a sucker born everyday, right? Don't be that sucker.

There was a single case where a guy rebuilt a salvage and shared pretty much all his work here on this forum. The problem was that he was asking "normal private party prices" for his salvage branded F-Type which is pretty crazy because once you go to resell it in the future, you will also have to list it as salvaged and then you will have to find someone willing to "take a chance".
Yep, totally makes sense. My daily driver for 12 years has been two different Miata's, both rebuilt titles. The first one really was a pile but I still drove it for 5 years, and ended up selling it about at half the market value of a non-branded, so you're dead on there. Second one has been awesome and I'm going on 7 years with it. I'm not too scared of a branded title as long as I'm not planning to resell it any time soon...! In this case though, doesn't sound like a good enough deal.

SinF - you mentioned that LSD was a must-have for MT. Is that not the case for AT, or do they all come with LSD's? Is there a good list of base options comparisons between the different trim levels somewhere?

Old 11-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

SinF - you mentioned that LSD was a must-have for MT. Is that not the case for AT, or do they all come with LSD's? Is there a good list of base options comparisons between the different trim levels somewhere?
I'd consider an LSD to be must-have on a RWD car with even the 340HP of the base model, regardless of transmission. My previous car did not have an LSD and it was crying for one.

My main drivers (pun intended) for getting the S instead of the base model were the LSD, Configurable Dynamics (in retrospect, I'd carefully reconsider this "requirement" of mine), and option for biggest non-carbon-ceramic brakes.

Since you're looking for used, you'll probably have to compromise a bit. You won't have the variety available when ordering to spec, but prices will be much more attractive

Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a 2014 S in July 2016 for just over 60k.

Seems like they should be getting down close to your price range.

I have always been an MT sort but I had to have a V8 and they only come with AT.

I have been happy with it.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey APPROX.

Is your burdget 40K because of the monthly payment? I just pulled the trigger on a NEW F type and leased because I found one Manual, for 399$ a month! I called 30 dealerships and no one could even come close to that. I wanted the least expensive per month possible. Never thought I would ever buy or lease a new car. Best of luck!!

Old 11-05-2017, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG
Hey APPROX.

Is your burdget 40K because of the monthly payment? I just pulled the trigger on a NEW F type and leased because I found one Manual, for 399$ a month! I called 30 dealerships and no one could even come close to that. I wanted the least expensive per month possible. Never thought I would ever buy or lease a new car. Best of luck!!
Was that the one from Wild in Sarasota that they had discounted down to $67K? I noticed it was gone from their site earlier tonight. If so, well done & nice deal on that lease!

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-05-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'd consider an LSD to be must-have on a RWD car with even the 340HP of the base model, regardless of transmission. My previous car did not have an LSD and it was crying for one.

My main drivers (pun intended) for getting the S instead of the base model were the LSD, Configurable Dynamics (in retrospect, I'd carefully reconsider this "requirement" of mine), and option for biggest non-carbon-ceramic brakes.

Since you're looking for used, you'll probably have to compromise a bit. You won't have the variety available when ordering to spec, but prices will be much more attractive
Actually that's true... my current turbo Miata has an LSD, couldn't imagine driving without it. Is LSD an option for the base model or do I just not even bother looking at those? LSD is going on my must-have list along with MT.

What is Configurable Dynamics? Is that something to do with the exhaust? Still have a lot to learn about all the features of these cars!

Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG
Hey APPROX.

That's INSANE! What was the cash down portion? I'm paying cash and could buy a new one that way too but just trying to not spend more money than I need to. Wife and I kind of more or less agreed on $40kish and I'm trying to stick to that as I'm bad with letting budgets creep. Might let it creep a little. I'm ok with being patient if I can get exactly what I want down the line at a discount. Waiting for lease returns seems wise... then again, if I could find one that's been sitting on a dealer lot for far too long at a good price.... that might be hard to pass up.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,127 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Actually that's true... my current turbo Miata has an LSD, couldn't imagine driving without it. Is LSD an option for the base model or do I just not even bother looking at those? LSD is going on my must-have list along with MT.

What is Configurable Dynamics? Is that something to do with the exhaust? Still have a lot to learn about all the features of these cars!
Referring to used 2104 - 2016 examples, I'm not so clear on newer 2017 and 2018 models:
The mechanical LSD was standard on the S but not even an option on the base model, and the R has an electric diff (eLSD). Configurable Dynamics (AKA Dynamic-i) was an option on the S and standard on the R and AFAIK it was not available even as an option on the base model, reason being that it partly involves active suspension which was not available on the base but was standard on the S and R.
It allows you to select between two different settings, Normal and Dynamic, across four things - suspension (active or not), engine (throttle response), gearbox (response, shift points) and steering (weight), and then "mix and match" as you want for your preferred Dynamic setting (it only works in Dynamic mode). For example I have configured my Dynamic setting as Dynamic for all of engine, gearbox and steering but Normal for suspension. You can re-configure it as you like or revert to the factory Dynamic settings, which puts all four things in the Dynamic setting when you select Dynamic mode.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Referring to used 2104 - 2016 examples, I'm not so clear on newer 2017 and 2018 models:
The mechanical LSD was standard on the S but not even an option on the base model, and the R has an electric diff (eLSD). Configurable Dynamics (AKA Dynamic-i) was an option on the S and standard on the R and AFAIK it was not available even as an option on the base model, reason being that it partly involves active suspension which was not available on the base but was standard on the S and R.
It allows you to select between two different settings, Normal and Dynamic, across four things - suspension (active or not), engine (throttle response), gearbox (response, shift points) and steering (weight), and then "mix and match" as you want for your preferred Dynamic setting (it only works in Dynamic mode). For example I have configured my Dynamic setting as Dynamic for all of engine, gearbox and steering but Normal for suspension. You can re-configure it as you like or revert to the factory Dynamic settings, which puts all four things in the Dynamic setting when you select Dynamic mode.
Thanks for the information! If you don't have the Dynamic option, how do you instead configure those things?

Right now it seems I'm settling on a 2016 MT S convertible. This thread has been extremely helpful! Now I just need to get out and find one of these things to drive... it seems there are only 3 of them for sale in the nation right now fitting those criteria!

Old 11-06-2017, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,127 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Thanks for the information! If you don't have the Dynamic option, how do you instead configure those things?

Right now it seems I'm settling on a 2016 MT S convertible. This thread has been extremely helpful! Now I just need to get out and find one of these things to drive... it seems there are only 3 of them for sale in the nation right now fitting those criteria!
You can't configure or change them if you don't have the Dynamic-i option.
Funny thing is, my S didn't have that option but Cambo was able to turn it on for me using his SDD equipment to tweak the Car Configuration File (CCF).

Old 11-06-2017, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You can't configure or change them if you don't have the Dynamic-i option.
Funny thing is, my S didn't have that option but Cambo was able to turn it on for me using his SDD equipment to tweak the Car Configuration File (CCF).
Interesting, thanks! Sounds like if it something that can be hacked in later, maybe not a huge issue if I don't have it to start with.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:39 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Be patient. With the high depreciation of this segment it won't be long until you find something perfect for you within your budget.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

That's INSANE! What was the cash down portion? I'm paying cash and could buy a new one that way too but just trying to not spend more money than I need to. Wife and I kind of more or less agreed on $40kish and I'm trying to stick to that as I'm bad with letting budgets creep. Might let it creep a little. I'm ok with being patient if I can get exactly what I want down the line at a discount. Waiting for lease returns seems wise... then again, if I could find one that's been sitting on a dealer lot for far too long at a good price.... that might be hard to pass up.

Money down was $2,000. The buy it price at the end of the lease will be $43,220 after 33 months. So that should give you an idea of what Jaguar is expecting them to be worth. My plan, buy it and put 100,000 miles on it!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlckCat
Be patient. With the high depreciation of this segment it won't be long until you find something perfect for you within your budget.
Gotta love Jaguar depreciation...!

Alright, if the 2016's were leased starting in mid 2015, assuming a 3 year lease, the lease returns should start showing up around mid 2018? I suppose that's an acceptable wait. Need to stop reading threads here though, it just makes me want one even more.