F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud frame POP when driving over uneven pavement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud frame POP when driving over uneven pavement

As the title suggests, sometimes when I traverse an incline and I try to prevent from scuffing the front facia, a loud noise (like a POP) will occur towards the rear of the car. It literally sounds like the frame is cracking in half. Again, this is only on uneven pavement from a side angle. Head on driving over the uneven pavement there are no issues.
Anyone else experience this loud POP?

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:42 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have experienced the same thing - my first thought was that the frame broke! I can't say what actually happened - perhaps something with one spring fully extending while the other is fully contracting? Who knows - just wanted you to know that you weren't alone, and my car continues to drive wonderfully (so I suspect the frame didn't actually break).

Old 03-14-2023, 06:16 PM

Thanks for reaching out....I'm glad I'm not alone, although it's a scary sound when it happens and I wouldn't wish it on other F Type owners. Someone out there will be able to enlighten us with what this noise is.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 378 Posts

Our 'Vert has several removable panels in the trunk floor, I'm sure the coupe does too.

Take them out, drive over the bumps see if that changes anything.

++++++++++

Another thought, based on our convertible experience:

The hinge mechanisms have a lot of spring loaded joints in them. A drop of a light oil on the pivot points might prevent one from springing loudly as the body twists.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:42 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

There have been rare reports of failures in the bonding of aluminum panels, but it’s been years since I’ve heard of that and don’t recall what the symptoms were.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:58 PM
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your sway bar brackets. They make quite a noise if one let's go.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 03-15-2023 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:02 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

The cross braces in the engine bay can make some noises like that when loose, but I don’t think the sound would come from the rear.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:37 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

I remember there were rear shock bushing issues a while back. Mine does it when turning right over a small bump, the noise is on the rebound of the suspension.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:39 PM
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had loud pops with another heavily modified car that were caused by the top of a spring dropping out of its perch at full droop. It would hang for a moment on the lip of the perch when reloaded and then "pop" back into the seat. Have you modified your suspension?

Old 03-15-2023, 01:32 PM

Ok, thanks. This is my 2nd F type R and they both made the noise. Like you mentioned, only when turning right....you're correct, just realized that.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Michael211
I've had loud pops with another heavily modified car that were caused by the top of a spring dropping out of its perch at full droop. It would hang for a moment on the lip of the perch when reloaded and then "pop" back into the seat. Have you modified your suspension?
I've had 2 F Types , both made the POP. No mod's on the 1st car, this one has spacers and 305's on the *** end.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:27 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had this happen as well and just assumed it was the body panels shifting/flexing in relation to the trunk lid (coupe), which is essentially a tripod with the hinges and latch. Perhaps it is the latch itself or just the rubber weatherstripping shifting against the metal. I've tried applying something like a light lubricant spray or cornstarch type thing to the rubber seal to cut down on noise.

Originally Posted by Nitroman
Ok, thanks. This is my 2nd F type R and they both made the noise. Like you mentioned, only when turning right....you're correct, just realized that.
After you said this I recall having a similar noise on turning right in my car after some recent work, took it back and the shop said that some of the underfloor/aero panels were not installed overlapping correctly, or not latched correctly, or something like that.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:08 PM

Come to think of it, mine happened on a slight right turn from street into raised parking lot as well. Never tried going left over the same bump to see if it happened again. Once all this Montana snow melts I'll give it a try.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
Come to think of it, mine happened on a slight right turn from street into raised parking lot as well. Never tried going left over the same bump to see if it happened again. Once all this Montana snow melts I'll give it a try.
I have been trying to trace a clunk near the center windscreen. First I thought it was the strut which I replaced. Then I tore into the cowl this weekend to get to the strut braces. That was not fun cutting through the goop. They were fine but I tightened them anyway. Can’t for the life of me figure out what it is. Same thing though? When the chasis flexes, usually on a right turn.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:38 AM
Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

I had this a few times, it turns out the upper shock mount bolts had worked loose (???) and tightening those under the hood fixed the problem. They now have blue loctite on them and haven't been an issue again.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (03-20-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 03:21 AM
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

My car did that. It's either the sway bar bushing being loose or a loose subframe/suspension mounting plate bolt. Have a tech or yourself tighten down *all* the chassis/subframe bolts. I have no idea why, but seems like my Jag isn't quite buttoned up properly. YMMV.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nitroman
As the title suggests, sometimes when I traverse an incline and I try to prevent from scuffing the front facia, a loud noise (like a POP) will occur towards the rear of the car. It literally sounds like the frame is cracking in half. Again, this is only on uneven pavement from a side angle. Head on driving over the uneven pavement there are no issues.
Anyone else experience this loud POP?

Thanks.
Hello! I have a 2018 F-Type R - love her and plan to keep her forever.

I’ve been experiencing this sound for about a year. I took it to the dealer once and they couldn’t reenact it. Now, about 6 months later, the car is currently there and they’re having trouble creating the sound. Which is so annoying since it happens to me every freaking day when I drive it!

Has anyone successfully fixed this issue? I sent the dealer this thread and a TSB for a similar sound on the 2014 model, but they are fighting me saying that TsB doesn’t apply to me.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 02-01-2024, 07:20 PM

I know the exact right turn that my car makes that clunk every time. If it was me, I'd take a mechanic with me and drive to that spot. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 956 Likes on 717 Posts

There was a TSB early on in the model run about clunking in the rear that was resolved with some kind of spring "isolator" or something. I get a clunk at the bottom of my driveway, which has a change of slope and an angled entrance/exit. I never worried too much about that.

Clunking in the front has been reported as resolved by tightening the bolts on the braces that go from the suspension towers to the firewall (one per side). I put a torque wrench on mine some years ago, but didn't have any goop to deal with.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

There’s been mentioned a few times over the years failed bonding between aluminum structural elements. Happily, that’s rare.

Quick Reply: Loud frame POP when driving over uneven pavement