Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Battery - still happening after battery re-set

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Personally i dont think the batt would be good if the alternator was failing since thats what keeps the battery good. The gen rad testor can easily take 2 hours to properl;y test a battery. And since you said you were rushing them and didnt even get a car wash.........
Yes, exactly...how can the battery measure as "good" when and if the alternator is faulty?

Old 11-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vika01

completely unheard of here in Sweden that they would wash your car
Washing the car is the final step in my dealer's servicing- regardless of what service they do - except that I REFUSE to have them wash the car for all the reasons others imply. The fewer times the paint is touched, the better the finish remains.

The following users liked this post:
hcardle (08-22-2023)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
And since you said you were rushing them .........
Just to get the record straight, They said that I was in a rush - but I never said that.

Now, either it's decided to play games with me, or it fixed itself. Three days ago, the Hazard Light stopped being on all the time (I'd been checking it several times a day). I haven't seen the Low Battery warning message since then, so ... it fixed itself?
Who's a good car?
Yes You Are!
Good Car! <Jag wags tail>

Or maybe it's setting me up...

Brutal (11-19-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
Just to get the record straight, They said that I was in a rush - but I never said that.

Now, either it's decided to play games with me, or it fixed itself. Three days ago, the Hazard Light stopped being on all the time (I'd been checking it several times a day). I haven't seen the Low Battery warning message since then, so ... it fixed itself?
Who's a good car?
Yes You Are!
Good Car! <Jag wags tail>

Or maybe it's setting me up...
When a cat wags it's tail, watch out!

Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
When a cat wags it's tail, watch out!
Oh, mine pretty much wags it's tail every time we go out - it's a very happy cat!!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
Oh, mine pretty much wags it's tail every time we go out - it's a very happy cat!!
Other than the Jag, you’ve obviously never been owned by a cat. If that tail starts to wag, that ***** is pissed. Yes, mine is pissed and growling most of the time.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought maybe it started happening because of the cold, but I have a feeling it may be due to the state inspection that I had done recently which involves reading codes through the OBD port.
I'd rather not have to do the battery disconnect every year after getting an inspection... Is there any sort of fix that can be applied?

As an aside, the mirrors no longer fold in when the car is locked. I knew I would have to do the window reset, but this came as a surprise as I was told elsewhere that the only way to prevent the mirrors from folding in was to have it permanently disabled by a service tech.

Originally Posted by DJS
No, there's an issue with some cars where they don't go to sleep properly after an OBD device was connected, if it was disconnected in software properly at the end of the session. The solution is to disconnect the battery for a brief period, then reconnect it.

I just stumbled on the recommended procedure when reconnecting the battery. Note that most folks don't do this, other than the last step.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

depends on the year and model for how a mirror fold is enabled. But the most common issue with mirrors that all of a sudden wont fold is that one of them is unlocked. How do they get unlocked you ask? EASY, car wash is 1 way, or most often someone bumps the mirror walking by the car and unlocks it. How do you fix? Reset the lock position by either pressing the fold button about the mirror switch, or if you don't have that press and hold both L/R mirror buttons down simultaneously to fold back and they lock then do it again to open and VOILA theyre reset

Carbuff2 (11-19-2018)
Old 12-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having the same issue for over a year. I have brought it to the dealer several times and they always say it is a bad battery. I am on my 3rd battery in about 1.5 years. The first year of owning my car everything was fine, this issue did not start until March of 2018. The car was sitting and not driven for about 5 weeks and upon starting it up I saw the low battery warning message then I got the battery replaced only for the message to reaper within a few months and going through the process of a new battery again. I got the battery replaced a third time a few weeks ago and have not seen the message yet. I am worried that this will just happen again. Is there something that can be done about this?

Old 12-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

And it will continue to happen until you charge the battery fully, and I mean fully. A new battery is almost never fully charged. The pattern of use that your message suggests indicates that your batteries have never been fully charged - short and infrequent use results in constantly decreasing battery charge.
Solution: charge the battery fully and buy a battery maintainer (CTEK being the favoured brand by many); install it and use it when the car is not in daily service.
Result: an end to battery issues.

Last edited by sov211; 12-16-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:23 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Capital AL
I have been having the same issue for over a year. I have brought it to the dealer several times and they always say it is a bad battery. I am on my 3rd battery in about 1.5 years. The first year of owning my car everything was fine, this issue did not start until March of 2018. The car was sitting and not driven for about 5 weeks and upon starting it up I saw the low battery warning message then I got the battery replaced only for the message to reaper within a few months and going through the process of a new battery again. I got the battery replaced a third time a few weeks ago and have not seen the message yet. I am worried that this will just happen again. Is there something that can be done about this?
It's not ideal but most exotics cars require a battery tender. I put my entire tender, including the cord with just the plug sticking out, under the trunk floor right next to the battery. Then I pull an extension cord down from my garage ceiling and run it into the trunk and plug it in with the trunk fully up while charging, so I don't forget and try to drive off with it plugged in. I plug it in about every two weeks, no more battery issues.

Spring winding ceiling or wall mount extension cord:
Amazon Amazon

Battery Tender for AGM batteries (fits underneath trucnk floor np):
Amazon Amazon

I don't think alternators are designed for 12.8V AGM batteries. So the battery falls into in a partly depleted state and dies relatively quickly unless you either take very long drives all the time, or supplement the charge every so often to get a finishing charge into them. The tender above is a four stage charger for AGM.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:38 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
It's not ideal but most exotics cars require a battery tender. I put my entire tender, including the cord with just the plug sticking out, under the trunk floor right next to the battery. Then I pull an extension cord down from my garage ceiling and run it into the trunk and plug it in with the trunk fully up while charging, so I don't forget and try to drive off with it plugged in. I plug it in about every two weeks, no more battery issues.

Spring winding ceiling or wall mount extension cord: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery Tender for AGM batteries (fits underneath trucnk floor np): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think alternators are designed for 12.8V AGM batteries. So the battery falls into in a partly depleted state and dies relatively quickly unless you either take very long drives all the time, or supplement the charge every so often to get a finishing charge into them. The tender above is a four stage charger for AGM.
I keep my Harley on a tender that's rated at 750mAmps, 12V. Would that work on the F-Type as well?

Old 12-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I keep my Harley on a tender that's rated at 750mAmps, 12V. Would that work on the F-Type as well?
750mA is fine. Check the manual to see if its designed to handle AGM batteries.

fujicoupe (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
And it will continue to happen until you charge the battery fully, and I mean fully. A new battery is almost never fully charged. The pattern of use that your message suggests indicates that your batteries have never been fully charged - short and infrequent use results in descreasing battery charge.
solution: charge the battery fully and buy a battery maintainer (CTEK being the favoured brand by many), install it and use it when the car is not in daily service.
Result: an end to battery issues.
Thank you for the suggestion, that is what I am going to have to do. The F-pace is not my daily driver, I only drive the car about once a week on average and less than that during the winter. The battery maintainer is what I will have to get.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:09 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had my car sense April this year and I always leave it unlocked with the fob in the passengers seat in the garage. No lights are on in the cabin when I walk by it. Have never had a problem.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Firstly, see even old-fashioned Harleys have to be kept on a charger- and yet people swear battery charging is unique to Jag. Tesla guys dont complain.

No- there are a few reasons its not the best idea to use the 750milliamp i.e not even a goddamn full amp of power.
What does it tell you about the make. its as lowbudget as it gets. Mine is 15amps. or 20x more power.
It also means it does not have any sophisticated algorithm and will reduce your battery life.
At that rate it will take 2 days to charge our batteries- so if you only charge it for a day you will constantly be in deficit and reduce battery lifespan.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Firstly, see even old-fashioned Harleys have to be kept on a charger- and yet people swear battery charging is unique to Jag. Tesla guys dont complain.

No- there are a few reasons its not the best idea to use the 750milliamp i.e not even a goddamn full amp of power.
What does it tell you about the make. its as lowbudget as it gets. Mine is 15amps. or 20x more power.
It also means it does not have any sophisticated algorithm and will reduce your battery life.
At that rate it will take 2 days to charge our batteries- so if you only charge it for a day you will constantly be in deficit and reduce battery lifespan.
Agreed, 750 mA is too feeble.
Like you my battery tender is 15 amp.
I use it around once a fortnight on the F-Type and it goes through all 7 stages to "fully charged - maintain" in less than 30 minutes.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Ozzy, I have discovered something huge yesterday.
Wondering if I am the last to discover it.
A battery desulphator.
Basically uses waves to remove tarnish in the way a electrolysis removes rust.
Its ridiculously simple and cost $20. Runs off the battery being desulphated.
Had a ruined battery, that would not hold much charge, brought it back.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Ozzy, I have discovered something huge yesterday.
Wondering if I am the last to discover it.
A battery desulphator.
Basically uses waves to remove tarnish in the way a electrolysis removes rust.
Its ridiculously simple and cost $20. Runs off the battery being desulphated.
Had a ruined battery, that would not hold much charge, brought it back.
Funny you should mention that, the very first stage of my battery tender is "desulfation".
Even more funny is that you have called it a "desulphator" and my tender calls it "desulfation", when sulphur is the English spelling and sulfur is the US spelling, so completely back to front!

Queen and Country (12-16-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I find this all very strange. I used the OEM AGM for a couple of years and more recently a lithium for a couple years (the AGM is still in service in my ‘76 Land Cruiser). I’ve never used a trickle charger on the f-type, have had it sit for weeks at time and have never had any problems with starting the car with exception of the early OBD accesses before I was aware of that issue. I am wondering whether the other discharge issues are more prevalent among the V8 than the V6. If so, it could be possible that the V8 doesn’t doesn’t average sufficient revs to keep the battery properly charged. In top gear, the engine speed on my V6 (MT) is 50% higher than on the V8.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-15-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Low Battery - still happening after battery re-set