F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks, Chawumba and Nati... I absolutely adore driving this car, but I am clearly in need of some proper engine maintenance education. I would have thought that all 0W-20 oils would be acceptable... but stand corrected. The car is at JLR today for a full oil change, hopefully my ignorance will not have wrecked the engine! Maybe I should open the hood myself one of these days and find out what's under the hood that gives me so much pleasure when I turn it on (I have never done so!).

Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Thanks, Chawumba and Nati... I absolutely adore driving this car, but I am clearly in need of some proper engine maintenance education. I would have thought that all 0W-20 oils would be acceptable... but stand corrected. The car is at JLR today for a full oil change, hopefully my ignorance will not have wrecked the engine! Maybe I should open the hood myself one of these days and find out what's under the hood that gives me so much pleasure when I turn it on (I have never done so!).
I think its a sign that the F-type is a reliable model since you haven't had to open the hood. On the bright side, your engine will be nice and clean with the double oil change....

In the future, you could always provide your favorite local shop with the correct oil, or there is a good youtube video on changing your own oil using the mitivac - no need to lift the car or climb under, can all be done from the top and takes less than 30 mins.

Last edited by Chawumba; 05-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
camstang6907 (04-02-2020)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:54 PM

@!@#$%&!
No good deed goes unpunished... I had my oil changed at a JLR dealership today, returned home (about 30 miles) and after waiting 10mn as instructed by the manual, I check the oil level: OVERFILLED! I waited for another 10mn, just in case: STILL OVERFILLED. I waited another 15mn to let things cool down even longer... still OVERFILLED. Any advice welcome, thank you.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

@!@#$%&!
No good deed goes unpunished... I had my oil changed at a JLR dealership today, returned home (about 30 miles) and after waiting 10mn as instructed by the manual, I check the oil level: OVERFILLED! I waited for another 10mn, just in case: STILL OVERFILLED. I waited another 15mn to let things cool down even longer... still OVERFILLED. Any advice welcome, thank you.
Common problem, heaps of threads and posts around here about dealerships overfilling the AWD F-Type.
It has a smaller sump capacity than the RWD, 6.75 litres vs 7.25 litres, but many dealerships are ignorant of this.
You need to dump .5 litres, either get the dealership to do it or DIY.
Not a good idea to drive the car back to the dealership with an over filled sump but some dealerships will send a tech to your place with a vacuum pump to extract the excess oil so that is the first thing I would try.
Two ways to DIY - extract from the top using a vacuum pump, no muss no fuss and relatively easy to measure .5 litres. But you need to spend approx $100 on a pump (good investment anyway) and be warned the vacuum pump won't just stop pumping when you want it to, it keeps going all on it's lonesome until it runs out of vacuum.
So you will probably get around 1 litre out, but not to worry, just measure off .5 litres and tip the rest back down the oil filler hole.
The other method is via the sump plug, time consuming and possibly messy as you will need to get the plug back in while the oil is still running out. One thing you could try is to loosen off the sump plug just enough to get a slow flow and not a torrent then do it back up when you reckon you have drained at least .5 litres out, then measure and tip as before.

Brock (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

@!@#$%&!
Spend $50 at the car parts store for a vacuum evaluator and suck out the excess. Probably around 0.5 qt.

Brock (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 PM

Thank you, guys. They billed me for 9 quarts, which is 8.5 liters; 8 quarts would have been 7.6 liters... enough in both cases! They are both crooks and incompetent!
I guess if it is not a good idea to drive back to the dealership, it was probably not a good idea to drive home from the dealership... could this unfortunate story have caused some (yet to become apparent) damage to the engine?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Spend $50 at the car parts store for a vacuum evaluator and suck out the excess. Probably around 0.5 qt.
A vacuum evaluator?
Haven't heard of that critter before Lance.
Must be some sort of astronaut who goes into space to test for true vacuum or not - "I found a tiny smidge of matter in that sample so not a true vacuum".

Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, guys. They billed me for 9 quarts, which is 8.5 liters; 8 quarts would have been 7.6 liters... enough in both cases! They are both crooks and incompetent!
I guess if it is not a good idea to drive back to the dealership, it was probably not a good idea to drive home from the dealership... could this unfortunate story have caused some (yet to become apparent) damage to the engine?
Quite a few here have had the dealership overfill with new oil and driven around for many miles with no problem before they realised the oil had been overfilled.
So not a big problem, half a litre over is not yuge, it's just enough to trigger the "overfilled" reading.
If push comes to shove drive it back to the dealership to get the excess oil drained but take it easy, no driving it like you stole it.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
A vacuum evaluator?
Haven't heard of that critter before Lance.
Too technical? You prefer "suck-it-up-thingy"?

ohhh...the typo. lol

Yes,,, the Vacuum Evaluator 8000. Detection Range: Lollipop Caress to "Can suck the chrome right off a bumper hitch"

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-15-2019 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

It could have, but most would say it's highly unlikely unless it is GROSSLY overfilled. A quart over for your trip home probably wouldn't do any damage.

You don't need to spend as much as people are quoting. But I would go the route of insisting that they send a tech to the house to remove the excess. Or tow to the dealership.

If you need to do it yourself (I did, once), you can get a $15 hand operated fluid transfer pump at Autozone. You'll need 8mm internal diameter plastic tubing to connect to the extraction tube under your oil cap. Hardware store.

Put the oil indicator in live mode and remove half a quart or so. Let things settle for 5 minutes and check the reading. Repeat prn.

Carbuff2 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
This post is terrifying.
lol exactly...but if you trust them they can't do any worse then some of the dealers do...just the picture my brain makes is not a good one of a gas station doing an oil change on the F-type. glad you figured it out.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

@Brock any update on how your situation was resolved by the dealership?

Old 05-22-2019, 08:17 AM

Thanks for asking, Nati. They claimed they could not suck out the oil in my garage and had to send someone to drive my car back to the dealership, or a truck to tow it. In the end, I followed ozXFR's comment and drove it back myself slowly to the dealership. I waited while they fixed the issue and the oil level now reads ok. Hopefully no damage. Confirmed my long-held feeling towards dealerships... either crooks or incompetent or both.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Does my car have a drain plug?

2018 f type 2.0.

Didn’t have an oil level gage. Or fuse box in the floor. Or fuse #43.

found the dipstick today!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 503 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomkatb

found the dipstick today!
Pictures, or it didn't happen!