F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For me the F-Type was a Fail

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For me the F-Type was a Fail

I appreciate all the help and information that gets disseminated in forums like this. However, I just wanted to vent a little about my disappointment with my F-Type S, and see if anybody else shares my feelings…or if I’m just on the lunatic fringe! The bottom line on my story is this - after 3 months of ownership I just traded my F-Type S Roadster for a Mercedes SL550.

I definitely liked the Jaguar’s looks, luxurious interior, and comprehensive equipment package…but that was not enough to overcome low-speed steering that felt like the car was riding on soap suds; road-speed handling feel that I could only call “lumbering”; a transmission that was constantly hunting for the right gear and downshifting nervously every single time I touched the gas; a supercharger with grunt but no finesse; and an exhaust that was just plain immature. All of this is just my opinion of course!

I bought the F-Type as a daily driver but between the steering, suspension, and transmission settings it just wasn't fun enough to drive on the rough streets and highways here in Rhode Island. I’m sure there are plenty of other high-performance cars like Vipers and GT-R’s that would fare no better, but I expected more sophistication from Jaguar.

OK, sometimes I DO feel like “it’s good to be bad,” but most of the time I just think the whole package was aimed at 30-somethings who might have outgrown their Mustangs. Is this Jaguar’s new market target? If it is, the $95,000 sticker on my car would disagree.

And before, you dismiss me as somebody who “just doesn't get it” my other cars are a Maserati Granturismo-S, an air-cooled Porsche Targa, a hot-rodded Avanti, and a minty Datsun 240-Z. So I’m pretty ecumenical when it comes to my wheels.

Anyway, I’d be interested to hear comments from other owners. And if you LOVE your car, that's great too. Actually, I’m jealous!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:17 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Sorry to hear that. My S has been fine in suburban Boston. I put it in Dynamic Mode most of the time, because it is a tad lumbering without it. But I've never had it hunt for a gear - I put my foot down, and it downshifts immediately. I suppose part of having an 8-speed is that it's frequently running at 2K RPM or less, so it does need to downshift. But I find it very quick and smooth.

The thing I like about the V6S exhaust is that it only gets shouty if I really put my foot down (and have it in Dynamic Mode - I don't have switchable active exhaust.)

As you say, each to his own. Hope there wasn't something wrong with yours. I do leave Dynamic Mode off when I'm going over questionable pavement, but with 19" wheels and the dynamic dampers, I've found it works well on questionable pavement.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow...well I do hope there was something wrong with yours because I'd hate to believe that's what I'm looking forward to.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by itsfred
I appreciate all the help and information that gets disseminated in forums like this. However, I just wanted to vent a little about my disappointment with my F-Type S, and see if anybody else shares my feelings…or if I’m just on the lunatic fringe! The bottom line on my story is this - after 3 months of ownership I just traded my F-Type S Roadster for a Mercedes SL550.

I definitely liked the Jaguar’s looks, luxurious interior, and comprehensive equipment package…but that was not enough to overcome low-speed steering that felt like the car was riding on soap suds; road-speed handling feel that I could only call “lumbering”; a transmission that was constantly hunting for the right gear and downshifting nervously every single time I touched the gas; a supercharger with grunt but no finesse; and an exhaust that was just plain immature. All of this is just my opinion of course!

I bought the F-Type as a daily driver but between the steering, suspension, and transmission settings it just wasn't fun enough to drive on the rough streets and highways here in Rhode Island. I’m sure there are plenty of other high-performance cars like Vipers and GT-R’s that would fare no better, but I expected more sophistication from Jaguar.

OK, sometimes I DO feel like “it’s good to be bad,” but most of the time I just think the whole package was aimed at 30-somethings who might have outgrown their Mustangs. Is this Jaguar’s new market target? If it is, the $95,000 sticker on my car would disagree.

And before, you dismiss me as somebody who “just doesn't get it” my other cars are a Maserati Granturismo-S, an air-cooled Porsche Targa, a hot-rodded Avanti, and a minty Datsun 240-Z. So I’m pretty ecumenical when it comes to my wheels.

Anyway, I’d be interested to hear comments from other owners. And if you LOVE your car, that's great too. Actually, I’m jealous!
How long a Test Drive did you take in it?

Old 06-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Interesting.. I assume you test drove the Jaguar, but now don't like it 3 months later?

The Ftype s roadster is a six cylinder at 380 or so horsepower and under 80 thousand dollars, roughly.
The merc SL 550, is a v-8 at 550 hp and over 120 thousand?

If I understand the comparison you are making, they are very different cars. Regardless, you got to go with what you like.

I tried the AMG gullwing and went with the Ftype R, no contest, but thats just a personal taste thinas well.
Lawrence.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

This was a thoughtful post, thanks for it. The SL is a fantastic car!

One question: what would be your suggestions for improving the product? Clearly suspension is one, but what else? The F-Type and the SL550 are pretty different vehicles in terms of target market and vehicle type.

FWIW I agree that in their fervor for developing a sports car for the brand, Jaguar probably overcompensated and made the suspension unnecessarily harsh given their target segment.
I'm not sure I agree with the comments on steering (the hydraulic steering is quite precise especially at city speeds) or the transmission (the ZF-8 is very widely used by BMW/Maserati/Jaguar/Audi, and is a better version of the older ZF-6 found in your Maserati).

Last edited by schraderade; 06-23-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:01 PM

He said he traded it in after 3 months of ownership. He drove it for 3 months & just didn't like it.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,279 Likes on 881 Posts

Interesting. I've had the ZF6 in my last 3 cars and think it is perfect for a performance car and a daily drive. I wonder whether the gear hunt issues would have been solved with the previous box.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Interesting. I've had the ZF6 in my last 3 cars and think it is perfect for a performance car and a daily drive. I wonder whether the gear hunt issues would have been solved with the previous box.
Probably since there are two less gears.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
The F-Type's ZF-8 is a tried-and-tested luxury/sports gearbox, and reviewers have (correspondingly) given the F-Type very solid marks on gear shifting. It's certainly better than the older ZF-6 and has seen broader industry uptake.

It's possible that the OP had a bad transmission build, or unusual driving habits, but it's certainly unusual to get negative feedback on the F-Type's transmission...most reviewers and owners have reported the opposite.

The following users liked this post:
scm (06-27-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM

Chris Harris praises the ZF-8!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I stepped out of a 2007 XK into my F-Type V6-S Coupe. The F is not the composed GT that the XK was, but nor has it been a disappointment. It is a Jag with an attitude. In Dynamic Mode it can occasionally be slow to downshift, but this is hardly a concern for me. And the exhaust is raucous but not over the top for me. Glad to hear you got right with your driving stable! (And what a stable it is!)

Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 679 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Given Your Choice

I love our F-Type (I say "our" because it is really my wife's car) it is fun to drive and our streets aren't great but for the most part this is on freeways. But an SL is a very different car and likely much better as a daily driver (a ton more room and set up better as a daily driver). Now if you'd traded for an SLS (which I didn't like at all in gull wing form but the convertible was a temptation, or some other car in in its class and liked it better I'd scratch my head but this reads to me like you just bought the wrong car. I'm not a Mercedes fan though and think that buyers that love Mercedes generally aren't going to love Jaguars.

Now for me if I want a hot daily driver I'd think more Porsche Macan or Infiniti FX because I like the extra wheel travel and higher seating. (we do a lousy job of maintaining roads). I also have a blown FX that is a ton of fun to drive but also clearly in a very different class.

Anyway sorry you didn't like your car, I just think you picked the wrong type and your new choice likely fits new need closer. An SL and an F are about as different as they get.

But glad it worked out.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everybody for your comments. A couple of you asked why I bought the F-Type in the first place, and I am embarrassed to admit I bought it without a test drive. I was so taken with the looks, the positive reviews, and the "story" that I leapt when I had a chance to pick up a 500-mile car for 20K off sticker.

I think I may have thrown the discussion off when I commented that I replaced the Jaguar with an SL550. It's true these are not directly comparable cars, but the Merc does everything so much more competently than the F-Type that it was a real eye-opener for me.

When I look at my list of disappointments with the Jaguar (and by the way I forgot to mention the slow, awkward downshifting) I guess my conclusion is that the F-Type is a wonderful idea that Jaguar needs to refine and fine-tune in many different areas. But as they say, your mileage may vary!

Fred

Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually I am agreeing with itsfred too. I am seriously thinking the F Type V8 R is not for me. It's a bit of a old man's car and I am too young to be driving it. I am leaning more and more towards the Lotus Evora S. Even after seeing it in person my wife who was pushing me for the F Type completely reversed her decision and said the Lotus. She did admit that the F type felt much more upscale in the interior but she liked the 'exotic' looks and the sportiness of the Lotus. Go figure

Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Actually I am agreeing with itsfred too. I am seriously thinking the F Type V8 R is not for me. It's a bit of a old man's car and I am too young to be driving it. I am leaning more and more towards the Lotus Evora S. Even after seeing it in person my wife who was pushing me for the F Type completely reversed her decision and said the Lotus. She did admit that the F type felt much more upscale in the interior but she liked the 'exotic' looks and the sportiness of the Lotus. Go figure
Not sure how you see the F-type as an old man's car? Of course, preferences vary and not everyone will like/chose a particular model. I personally like the more open real-estate inside the XKR but, the F-type is definitely more sporting. Against the "old man car" image is the hard, no-compromise suspension setup of the F-type that certainly is more fitting for the younger generation that may prefer all out performance over ride comfort. Some of use "older" folks have been there, done that, and now ready for cars that provide a bit more resilient ride with a bit more luxurious surroundings vs. the more spartan nature of true sport cars.

The following users liked this post:
PD2911 (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Seems to me an XK would have suited the OP better. Of course it is to be dropped from production shortly, as the F-type is selling so well.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
A black Evora S pulled in to the sushi place we were having dinner at last night, I spoke with the owner,he's had it about 2 weeks...I took a look at the drivers door panel when we left and while I will admit the car looks beautiful, the fiberglass was totally wavy-gravy...I mean really bad...especially in black!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default This is an interesting

discussion, as I'm planning to transition from my R8 (6MT) to the F-Type R. I'm not dissatisfied nor old. After 5 years, I'm just looking for a change. Having never seen an R, much less driven any flavor F-Type, this dialogue gives me some concern that I may be stepping down. But, I don't necessarily feel that way. The R8 is a phenomenal car. I'm just looking for the next phenomenal car.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Thanks to everybody for your comments. A couple of you asked why I bought the F-Type in the first place, and I am embarrassed to admit I bought it without a test drive. I was so taken with the looks, the positive reviews, and the "story" that I leapt when I had a chance to pick up a 500-mile car for 20K off sticker.

I think I may have thrown the discussion off when I commented that I replaced the Jaguar with an SL550. It's true these are not directly comparable cars, but the Merc does everything so much more competently than the F-Type that it was a real eye-opener for me.

When I look at my list of disappointments with the Jaguar (and by the way I forgot to mention the slow, awkward downshifting) I guess my conclusion is that the F-Type is a wonderful idea that Jaguar needs to refine and fine-tune in many different areas. But as they say, your mileage may vary!

Fred

Not sure you are "getting" the F Type at all ... even comparing it to a GT is just wrong.

the SL does "what" better??? What you are looking for in a daily driver?, Awkward downshifting? The Jags downshift blip is by a mile the best I have ever driven.

You bought a sports car as your daily driver without a test drive and try to rationalize to have spent another wad of money on an SL. If at all Jaguar has to make the F Type lighter and even more responsive, not more comfortable for your daily drive. That is what the XK was for.
I just posted a video of the F Type R being compared to a GT-R. That alone makes it a total bargain super sports car.

Not Jaguar's fault you bought a car just for the looks.

The SL is a great GT, certainly not a sports car, it compares nicely to an XK or a 6 series.

Quick Reply: For me the F-Type was a Fail