Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For me the F-Type was a Fail

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Whirlinturbin
discussion, as I'm planning to transition from my R8 (6MT) to the F-Type R. I'm not dissatisfied nor old. After 5 years, I'm just looking for a change. Having never seen an R, much less driven any flavor F-Type, this dialogue gives me some concern that I may be stepping down. But, I don't necessarily feel that way. The R8 is a phenomenal car. I'm just looking for the next phenomenal car.
I'd take these 'discussions' with a large grain of salt. Just take a look at the numerous independent reviews (professional reviewers with no axe to grind) and you will find what just about everyone else has discovered.. the f type is a great car, in its class.
I now have an R and its a total riot to drive.. well behaved, yet in dynamic mode it really changes character. I have extensively driven a merc AMG gullwing and the R handles better in my opinion and rides better.. yet its the total beauty and character that matters to me. The Porsche was too clinical for me.
The F type is a sporty type car so the ride is firm, yet I do not find it harsh.. some have mentioned that you should order the dynamic dampers if you get the 6 cylinder.. the R has them standard.
The transmission is excellent.. the AMG had a dual clutch set up and the F type comparatively was as pretty much as good for any sort of driving you would do around the countryside.
Anyway, sorting through the opinions of the general public on what car is best is at best a 'mugs' game due to the fact we all have our biases.. just be sure and test drive what you think you want to buy.
Lawrence

The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
abedh (08-26-2014), scm (06-27-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19,138 Likes on 7,735 Posts

Maybe the OP should have tried an XJR-L instead of a 550SL, probably much more comparable to what he was looking for.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by itsfred
I just traded my F-Type S Roadster for a Mercedes SL550.

I definitely liked the Jaguar’s looks, luxurious interior, and comprehensive equipment package…but that was not enough to overcome low-speed steering that felt like the car was riding on soap suds; road-speed handling feel that I could only call “lumbering”; a transmission that was constantly hunting for the right gear and downshifting nervously every single time I touched the gas; a supercharger with grunt but no finesse; and an exhaust that was just plain immature.
I drove an AMG SL65 for a few months and found it very fast but woefully uninspiring. I share your concern about the F-Type steering, which is a bit numb, but I think the suspension is brilliantly tuned and the transmission is phenomenal. There are times when I also find the exhaust note a tad obnoxious; at those moments I turn off the "loud" switch; most of the time I find it addicting. Enjoy your Merc.

The following users liked this post:
pabanker (06-25-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsfred
I appreciate all the help and information that gets disseminated in forums like this. However, I just wanted to vent a little about my disappointment with my F-Type S, and see if anybody else shares my feelings…or if I’m just on the lunatic fringe! The bottom line on my story is this - after 3 months of ownership I just traded my F-Type S Roadster for a Mercedes SL550.

I definitely liked the Jaguar’s looks, luxurious interior, and comprehensive equipment package…but that was not enough to overcome low-speed steering that felt like the car was riding on soap suds; road-speed handling feel that I could only call “lumbering”; a transmission that was constantly hunting for the right gear and downshifting nervously every single time I touched the gas; a supercharger with grunt but no finesse; and an exhaust that was just plain immature. All of this is just my opinion of course!

I bought the F-Type as a daily driver but between the steering, suspension, and transmission settings it just wasn't fun enough to drive on the rough streets and highways here in Rhode Island. I’m sure there are plenty of other high-performance cars like Vipers and GT-R’s that would fare no better, but I expected more sophistication from Jaguar.

OK, sometimes I DO feel like “it’s good to be bad,” but most of the time I just think the whole package was aimed at 30-somethings who might have outgrown their Mustangs. Is this Jaguar’s new market target? If it is, the $95,000 sticker on my car would disagree.

And before, you dismiss me as somebody who “just doesn't get it” my other cars are a Maserati Granturismo-S, an air-cooled Porsche Targa, a hot-rodded Avanti, and a minty Datsun 240-Z. So I’m pretty ecumenical when it comes to my wheels.

Anyway, I’d be interested to hear comments from other owners. And if you LOVE your car, that's great too. Actually, I’m jealous!
Interesting. I had just the opposite experience. Had my heart set on an SL63 to replace my E55 but was very disappointed after driving the Sl. It's a beautiful car and I was expecting it to be faster and more nimble than my E55 and it isn't. Felt noticeably slower and heavier. I also drove an R coupe and loved it and it's now at the top of my list. Yes it's loud as hell but that exhaust is one of the things that I really like being a hot rodder at heart. Build quality concerns and dealer service issues are the only thing holding me back at the moment. I had an XK8 years ago that was a nightmare.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

I have a 2013 Merc SLK55 AMG. I'll trade it in a heart beat for an F-type. My 2013 Jaguar XKR shifts, drives, is more comfortable, less noisy, sounds better and handles better than the Merc AMG. Wow, I can't believe you went to a standard Merc SL from the cat. Damn, I would have traded you for my SLK55--it only has 700 miles on it.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
I have a 2013 Merc SLK55 AMG. I'll trade it in a heart beat for an F-type. My 2013 Jaguar XKR shifts, drives, is more comfortable, less noisy, sounds better and handles better than the Merc AMG. Wow, I can't believe you went to a standard Merc SL from the cat. Damn, I would have traded you for my SLK55--it only has 700 miles on it.
No way I was going for the standard SL550. I was looking at the SL63 AMG which I swear my E55 would out run all day long. 6.3 liters of naturally aspirated engine just doesn't cut it when your used to a SC engine.

May still go for F coupe but I'm going to wait a bit and see how things shake out with initial problems on those cars. I'm in no hurry to get rid of my E55 after driving a Carreras S, Audi RS5, Jag XFR, the new M4 (sweet driving little coupe) and the SL63.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedpeddler
No way I was going for the standard SL550. I was looking at the SL63 AMG which I swear my E55 would out run all day long. 6.3 liters of naturally aspirated engine just doesn't cut it when your used to a SC engine.
I take it this was an older SL63? The SL63 has been a 5.5L twin-turbo since 2012. Personally, I find the SL63 to be a very capable car. I tracked both the 2014 SL63 and the 2014 SLS black series at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by another_geek
I take it this was an older SL63? The SL63 has been a 5.5L twin-turbo since 2012. Personally, I find the SL63 to be a very capable car. I tracked both the 2014 SL63 and the 2014 SLS black series at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago.
I drove a 2012 which is a naturally aspirated 6.3. The TT started in 2013 and those cars bring a premium relative to the NA version. The 6.3 is a beast but just can't move a 4,400 lb car. A used SL63 is still almost 100 K. The same price as a new R.

And really, they're apples and oranges. Two completely different driving experiences. My last three cars have been AMG and I'm looking for something a little different this time.