Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Speaker Replacement - Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Meridian Speaker Replacement - Thoughts

I now there have been many many posts on the Meridian System, and I get it. The system is lacking and the dealer is dealing with it for me. We need to go through the dealers for sure.

OK , with this said, assume that the dealers are complete, dynomat, new grills etc. Now for the addition. Has anybody considered replacing just the speakers, with a JL Audio, or Polk type of speaker that can handle the sound much more efficiently?

Please, we know that the system in the "F" types are for crap, but the quest here is to take the system to new heights. I know that replacing the amps are a problem due to the "Fiber optics" bus that the Amp helps, but the speaker replacement is what I am after.

Thoughts???? Anybody try this? Details please.
Thanks

Old 04-06-2015, 05:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

1. No one would say what size speakers are in there.
2. I read they use active crossovers, which makes me nervous. Might get messy simply replacing speakers, which typically have their own crossovers.
3. I hate popping the clips to open up the doors, so I haven't looked myself, although I do have good speakers that might fit in there.
4. Not worth it to me to take it to a car audio shop, though I know of an excellent one I've used before.

In my 380W system, I found turning the base down a bit works OK. Not a great system, but at least it isn't distorting.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
1. No one would say what size speakers are in there.
2. I read they use active crossovers, which makes me nervous. Might get messy simply replacing speakers, which typically have their own crossovers.
3. I hate popping the clips to open up the doors, so I haven't looked myself, although I do have good speakers that might fit in there.
4. Not worth it to me to take it to a car audio shop, though I know of an excellent one I've used before.

In my 380W system, I found turning the base down a bit works OK. Not a great system, but at least it isn't distorting.
You have distortion? I just have rattles from poorly fitted speakers. The system itself doesn't distort for me, however you may well be hearing digital distortion if you are playing mp3s/bluetooth.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
I now there have been many many posts on the Meridian System, and I get it. The system is lacking and the dealer is dealing with it for me. We need to go through the dealers for sure.

Thoughts???? Anybody try this? Details please.
Thanks
I have the meridian 380 system and replaced the 4" speakers in the door, and the tweeters.... no amp for the reason you mention.

you have to cut some plastic inside the backing of the door to make the 4" focals fit.

Also dyno matted the hell out of the doors. this simple change made a huge improvement in the system... and only cost 500$ with install. however the car still lacks in good bass. my solution will be to add a small amplified sub in the trunk. there is a really perfect space for it in the coupes...and it's just next to the battery, so it's an easy install to do.

the problem in the doors is there is no room for 6 inch speakers..so you can only replace the mids....and there is not much depth...so there's not much point in replacing the bass speakers in the door.

this solution definitely improved the audio...it's clearer and crisper..

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (04-10-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johney5
I have the meridian 380 system and replaced the 4" speakers in the door, and the tweeters.... no amp for the reason you mention.

you have to cut some plastic inside the backing of the door to make the 4" focals fit.

Also dyno matted the hell out of the doors. this simple change made a huge improvement in the system... and only cost 500$ with install. however the car still lacks in good bass. my solution will be to add a small amplified sub in the trunk. there is a really perfect space for it in the coupes...and it's just next to the battery, so it's an easy install to do.

the problem in the doors is there is no room for 6 inch speakers..so you can only replace the mids....and there is not much depth...so there's not much point in replacing the bass speakers in the door.

can you give specifics on the sub? is it powered? is it a do it yourself project?

Old 04-10-2015, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Hi
Thanks for the update. When you mention about the base shortfall, what type of music are you listening to? I ask this because if "hip hop", vs. "rock", I can understand and puts it into perspective due to the strong reliance and serious base push on the former vs. the latter. Thoughts please, and also the specifics of the speakers you put into the system as a replacement.
Thanks,

Old 04-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by RobsnTX
can you give specifics on the sub? is it powered? is it a do it yourself project?
I couldn't do it...that's for sure...just taking the door panels off, and knowing where the clips are....seems a bit beyond my capacity. I watched these guys do it and they were pretty skilled. Of course you could do it... but i would be too worried about getting it all back together and having it work. There are a lot of wires and fairly delicate things inside the door. and knowing how much dynamite to squeeze in and still have everything seal up properly. Honestly, it took 2 skilled audio guys about 2 hours to do it. as for the subs, the audio shop said that would be a breeze, because the power was already in the trunk.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi
Thanks for the update. When you mention about the base shortfall, what type of music are you listening to? I ask this because if "hip hop", vs. "rock", I can understand and puts it into perspective due to the strong reliance and serious base push on the former vs. the latter. Thoughts please, and also the specifics of the speakers you put into the system as a replacement.
Thanks,
I listen to different kinds of music, from rock to electro, to industrial, to folk. The base just sucks all around. the entire original system sounds muffled, with no clear elements. Perhaps with the 780 meridien system and the DTS settings you can get more out of the system.

As for the speakers, there is no depth in the door. I think he had the JL's and the focals. and something else used for BMWs. The BMW speakers would have fit without cutting the plastic in the doors... but I thought Focal would be better. I don't remember why we did not use JL, but i think there may have been a depth issue...and i think focals usually are pretty good.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

and knowing how much dynamite to squeeze in

Be careful closing your doors!

Old 04-10-2015, 02:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

That's one way to get powerful bass...

Old 04-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I know it's a little thing, but when it comes to music, it's "BASS" not "BASE.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I know it's a little thing, but when it comes to music, it's "BASS" not "BASE.

"All your base are belong to us"

The following 2 users liked this post by DuhCar:
BierNut (04-10-2015), RobsnTX (04-11-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Odd. I have what the tape measure suggests is a 7" coaxial in each door.

I have the UK 180w base spec system though.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar

"All your base are belong to us"
Nice to see a geek joke on the forum

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
DuhCar (04-11-2015), slojotaa (04-12-2015)