F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving further down the food chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Moving further down the food chain

I bought my Ultimate Black 2017 R coupe in November of 2017 and felt pretty self satisfied having secured not only a beautiful road car, but with an”apex” poweplant. While I have never owned a race car or a street car that couldn’t have used another 100 horsepower, the R’s 550 hp was still pretty good. Now, a little more than a year later (and two model years) I was reading that the new Shelby GT will have over 700 hp and joins the Camaro, Challenger and a number of others in the quickly escalating horsepower wars to even greater heights.

Since I tend to keep cars for a long time, I’m used to their performance being gradually ecipsed by newer models, but I don’t remember another time when engine power leapfrogged so quickly. It seems my R has fallen to the level of all the clapped out Hyundai’s and Honda’s the Puerto Rican hoards migrate around Orlando in. I hope I can keep up!

Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Unless another breakthrough in suspension and tire technology comes through, you are not going to see noticeable difference during street legal speed between 550 and 700 hp.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

It is somewhat suprising to see the horsepower wars back in full swing. Given the onset of electric cars, lower gas prices due to oversupply, and strong nostalgia, to name few influences, it is actually happening. Never would have predicted it. I expect there are a number of reasons.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
It is somewhat suprising to see the horsepower wars back in full swing. Given the onset of electric cars, lower gas prices due to oversupply, and strong nostalgia, to name few influences, it is actually happening. Never would have predicted it. I expect there are a number of reasons.
I suspect it is mainly due to a reaction by the Deplorables to all the uber-Progressive Nanny-state BS - "speed kills", OMG CO2 causes global warming!, EVs good ICE bad etc etc which the car makers have recognised is now a growing market.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SJones
I bought my Ultimate Black 2017 R coupe in November of 2017 and felt pretty self satisfied having secured not only a beautiful road car, but with an”apex” poweplant. While I have never owned a race car or a street car that couldn’t have used another 100 horsepower, the R’s 550 hp was still pretty good. Now, a little more than a year later (and two model years) I was reading that the new Shelby GT will have over 700 hp and joins the Camaro, Challenger and a number of others in the quickly escalating horsepower wars to even greater heights.

Since I tend to keep cars for a long time, I’m used to their performance being gradually ecipsed by newer models, but I don’t remember another time when engine power leapfrogged so quickly. It seems my R has fallen to the level of all the clapped out Hyundai’s and Honda’s the Puerto Rican hoards migrate around Orlando in. I hope I can keep up!
Agree, it's odd the HP race continues - surprised the lawyers haven't sued automakers into oblivion. But hey, its fun while it lasts.

Put the cat on a diet and do some basic engine mods, you'll still be in the running.....

Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

"The new Shelby GT will have over 700 hp and joins the Camaro, Challenger and a number of others in the quickly escalating horsepower wars to even greater heights."

I gave up years ago of trying to have the highest hp, fastest computer, fastest internet, highest megapixel camera, etc. I bought my F Type for the style, elegance, handling, and rarity. The Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and Corvettes are common place and not that unique. I've been at a gas station next to a Corvette, where the owner stated he could take me in a race. "That's great!, nice car.", I replied. Then I had a little (internal) chuckle when other customers walked by his car to admire and ask questions about my F Type. While I do admire the looks of the American Muscle Cars, I'm keeping my IRR Beauty.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:01 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Agreed with everything, except the "apex" label. While I'm happy with my R's 550 hp V8, I'm surprised to see that Jaguar also came out with a 4 cylinder F-type (with msrp of over $75k), along with the V6. My last Vette had 460 hp, was looking at the 650 hp Z06, can't afford the 750 hp ZR1. It least it's all V8's. Looking at going back to the Vette after the C8 mid-engine comes out...

Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 AM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs down

well, nothing is further down the food chain than florida. good luck with the "puerto rican hordes".

Old 03-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Like Indycruiser, I enjoy watching all the Vettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc. rushing around chasing each other's tails. I occasionally get one beside me at a red light revving a throttle. I usually watch as he(sometimes she) rushes off as the light changes.
I flew jets at over mach 1.2, steered them on the ground with only my feet at 200 mph, so I don't need to play games on the street with civilian's life on the line. No matter what hp someone comes up with, there will be something hotter out, if someone is willing to pay for it.
There was a time when these cars were known as "*****" cars. I guess now that we are becoming more cross line gender wise, that term is an anachronism.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
There was a time when these cars were known as "*****" cars.
So what you're sayin' is only ********* drive those cars...?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

No, I'm saying like my daddy always said, " Every bodies got their own little sack of rocks, 'long as they don't throw them at me, we gonna get along just fine".
I have a lot of friends who drive beige Toyota Camry's, who think I am crazy for driving an F-Type and also having an XK8, but they don't call me a 'Dick-Head' for that and I don't ignore them as milk-sops for their rides.

Mbourne (03-06-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Agreed with everything, except the "apex" label. While I'm happy with my R's 550 hp V8, I'm surprised to see that Jaguar also came out with a 4 cylinder F-type (with msrp of over $75k), along with the V6. My last Vette had 460 hp, was looking at the 650 hp Z06, can't afford the 750 hp ZR1. It least it's all V8's. Looking at going back to the Vette after the C8 mid-engine comes out...
As daily-driveable near exotics go, the R is pretty close to the apex that is always moving. Not just the powerplant, but the ability to use it. In Florida, I wouldn't daily drive a Z06 or any of the pony car dragsters. I guarantee a Z06 driver wouldn't want to drive fast in the rain. Same for a GT500 or Hellcat.

But yeah, the 4 banger F-type dilutes the street cred and that's probably why people tend to dismiss this car a bit until they see the quad pipes or hear them...or until they get shown the taillights to set things straight. Being that this is Florida, there are a lot of people who have the delusion that their Corolla is a match and seem to be trying to prove themselves. They're not worth the extra gas. Trading for a pony car isn't going to solve that problem.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a tune and pulley and have been destroying Camaros and Mustangs on the daily. The AWD makes it an unfair fight

FType17 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, and Chargers may have more horsepower, but the F-type remains supreme in the looks department. Honestly, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:33 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Unless another breakthrough in suspension and tire technology comes through, you are not going to see noticeable difference during street legal speed between 550 and 700 hp.
I partially agree with this. Horsepower alone means nothing without the ability to put them down, handling and braking. Cars that sport 700hp but have subpar handling and traction will be far less effective and less enjoyable. Last week, a local tuner that sports a 700WHP Infiniti G35 decided to once again show that he is king... I usually ignore him but this time I let him flex his muscle just to see that he could not handle turns... nor stop. On the other hand, I would have had a hard time in front of a McLaren 570s. I see that often at track events. Don't buy into the HP and stats claims on the magazines...

Old 03-27-2019, 04:34 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurnendager
I have a tune and pulley and have been destroying Camaros and Mustangs on the daily. The AWD makes it an unfair fight
Just don't stay too close to them when they go sideways or can't stop ;-) Have fun, be safe, enjoy that beast -C

Last edited by FType17; 03-27-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the previous generation Shelby GT500 (660 HP) and while the motor was amazing the rest of the package left a bit to be desired. Don't misunderstand, it was an amazing car and an absolute monster to drive. But it was totally different from the Jag. Without significant suspension mods, my Jag would toast it in the 1/4 because the car just wouldn't hook. And tires? Folks complain about the P Zeros without ever having to deal with those Goodyears! If you were anywhere outside the optimal operating temp you might as well be driving on glass. When I traded the GT500 in on a new GT350, I got the handling the previous car lacked, but lost the monstrous torque from the SC 5.8 and about 140HP. The GT350 also had a tendency to yank you all over the road. You could feel every change in the grain of the road surface and actually had to fight to keep the car in a straight line. That made long road trips a real chore. If Ford didn't fix that with the new GT500 then more HP won't make it a better car IMHO. I am glad I got to own both, but wouldn't trade the Jag. Even for 700+ HP.