F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Multiple oil leaks

'14 base. 64k mikes. Out of warranty. Parked in the garage for a couple of days, then noticed some oil on the ground. Had the underside cleaned up, discovered it was the lower oil pan. The mechanic said it did not use a factory gasket. It was RTV and leaking toward the back of the seal. He repaired. A few days later.. I could smell oil burning. At first, I thought it was the diaper on the plastic skid plate burning.. but no.
He found 2 more leaks. One towards the front of the oil pump (made by ford). He is looking for the gasket online to fix it. He said the other leak is at the upper oil pan and it will take over 20 hours to get fixed.
So... I am a person that likes to keep cars. This is out of warranty. My options are:
1. Park the car. Get an extended warranty, wait a couple of months, and get it fixed under the extended warranty.
2. Clean it up, trade it in. (Not a favorite option)
3. Pay a mechanic to fix it... but it is looking like there will be more issues later on.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If simple oil leak have you this concerned, then out of warranty Jaguar might not be for you. Oil leaks on British cars is expected, if nothing is leaking you should be concerned if there is any oil left.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
Carbuff2 (05-01-2019), Tel (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
If simple oil leak have you this concerned, then out of warranty Jaguar might not be for you. Oil leaks on British cars is expected, if nothing is leaking you should be concerned if there is any oil left.
lol I don’t think this generation is that bad.

Sounds like this is your first major repair. You had to have assumed something was going to give at 64K miles. I’d try to hang onto it & get it fixed. It’d also be a good time to knock out some other preventative maintenance wear items while you’ve got everything torn apart. Did you purchase it new?

The following users liked this post:
scm (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telecom
'14 base. 64k mikes. Out of warranty. Parked in the garage for a couple of days, then noticed some oil on the ground. Had the underside cleaned up, discovered it was the lower oil pan. The mechanic said it did not use a factory gasket. It was RTV and leaking toward the back of the seal. He repaired. A few days later.. I could smell oil burning. At first, I thought it was the diaper on the plastic skid plate burning.. but no.
He found 2 more leaks. One towards the front of the oil pump (made by ford). He is looking for the gasket online to fix it. He said the other leak is at the upper oil pan and it will take over 20 hours to get fixed.
So... I am a person that likes to keep cars. This is out of warranty. My options are:
1. Park the car. Get an extended warranty, wait a couple of months, and get it fixed under the extended warranty.
2. Clean it up, trade it in. (Not a favorite option)
3. Pay a mechanic to fix it... but it is looking like there will be more issues later on.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Option 1 is fraudulent.
Option 2 passes the problem on to an unsuspecting buyer. Not good karma.
Option 3 is good for the car and you and the next owner. Good karma.
I think it is safe to say the car will have more issues.
So I's suggest fixing it and sell it unless you are wealthy enough to handle the continuing repair costs.

Best of luck!