Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Leaks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2273wt_1141

I just had my Jag in a shop last friday for a crank shaft oil leak repair & at the same time had the belts replaced. The other leak is the notorious pan gasket leak which is not too bad...& seemed to disappear for a while (could be the change in the weather).
So I saw this in ebay & wondering if anybody have tried it. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my personal opinion and of mechanics...this method (if it does work for you) is made to be temperary. Not an actual fix. They make these products to help prolong the time to get it fixed the right way. You should only have OIL in your engine.

Just my .02 cents

Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used lucas for other leaks in the past like power steering rack in my F-250. Stuff works as advertised by swelling the seals. Not a big fan of snake oils but lucas seems to be the best of the snake oils in my opinion. Did you change oils? Each oil company has different additives that either aid or hinder oil leaks.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Personally, I would not put any no smoke, no leak, stop leak, bars leak or any other product in any fluid in my car unless I had it parked up by the street with a big ' For Sale Cheap' sign attached to it.

All that stuff is is a thickening agents that either gums up the oil, or swells up your seals. I had a freind with a tiny leak in 1 journal of his rad, added the Bars Leaks stuff, came in a yellow bottle that you add to ward coolant in your rad. A week later he overheated his motor and it siezed, because the rad stuff plugged all the journals in the rad.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 AM

I have my reservation too. Just want to check other folks opinion. Just need to keep saving for that $$$$ pan gasket leak. Oh well there goes the new grill. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bar's Leaks & Chemical Additives

Hey everyone. We're Bar's Products, makers of Bar's Leaks and Rislone.

It's true there are products on the market that can harm seals. There are cooling system products out there as well that can cause issues. Unfortunately we can -- and have -- been lumped in with some of these products over the years. That's the nature of an open market: there will be products that work very well, and there will be some that don't. The bummer for us is that we often get grouped into the same bucket.

Re oil leaks: Most oil leaks appear around 60K to 70K and may not be detected even then. Most originate with the rear main seal. We do have Bar’s Leaks products that can help to condition a hardened or cracked seal making them mushy or causing oil to gum/sludge up. The seal swell additive we use will increase the size but no more than .001 or .002 (thousandths) of an inch which in most cases is enough to seal a small leak. We have an in-house R&D lab and we engineer our formulas to very tight tolerances.

Our cooling system products can be successfully and safely used without clogging radiator or heater core tubes as long as the cooling system is clean. Where there are flow restriction issues, they usually occur when the cooling system has not been kept up to par with regular draining & flushing -- which in turn allows the formation of calcium, lime, rust and scale deposits building up and causing a flow restriction. This is typically in vehicles that are older and/or with high mileage. Keep in mind some radiator and heater core tubes can be as small as .9 millimeters or .035” when new.

Okay, duck, here's the only sales pitch-y part you'll ever get from us: We've been in this business for 63 years. We're a third-generation family-owned business and we believe in doing the right thing and putting out an honest, reliable product. We’ve heard and experienced a lot of user feedback -- mostly very positive, including some kind words from mechanics themselves. We’d really love to say that we can seal or help our customers 100% of the time, but no product can say that, ours included. We do know our cooling system products have been used successfully by many OEMs (including Jaguar) across the world, some since the early 50s on assembly lines and in dealerships as well as private-labeled. They have been used by the US military and thousands of tech and mechanic’s repair shops.

This is a coincidental topic, because we have a blog post up talking about some of the preconceptions that are being talked about here. You should check it out.

But above and beyond all of this, if you have any questions or comments for us, we'd love to help. Just let us know.

-- Fred

Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks Fred. Appreciate the input.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

You're welcome. Anytime.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I entirely agree with you Fred, I have used Bar's Leaks in many of my cars in the past with great success so I fully endorse your products. I did hear from a very reliable source that Rolls Royce put Bar's Leaks in every car that came off their line! I do not know if this in fact true, but I would like to think it was.
(I do not, by the way have any connection to any of the Bar's Leaks company's) Just a satisfied customer. Chris.

The following users liked this post:
J.A.G. (06-07-2022)