Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "New" F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew W
Great choice! It's great to have a friend with a convertible for the 3 days a year you might actually want to drive with the top down. They sound like a great idea but will all eventually cause problems either mechanically or fabric. And make for easy access for thieves.
Again; to each thier own. The Jag is a toy for me and I don't remember the last time I drove it with the top up. Though I love the look of the coupe, I wouldn't even consider a sportscar without a removable top......to me the top down motoring is at least half the fun. Strangely I've never had an issue on the many 'verts I've owned

Cheers,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
Andrew W (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Dave, and for sure to each their own. A bit one sided on my disdain for the verts. But I also don't own a boat for the same reasons and my hot tub is always giving me trouble. Can't be much crime in BC so that's likely a nonissue too.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew W
Thanks Dave, and for sure to each their own. A bit one sided on my disdain for the verts. But I also don't own a boat for the same reasons and my hot tub is always giving me trouble. Can't be much crime in BC so that's likely a nonissue too.
Depends where you are in BC, but yeah, not much of an issue here....particularly in the areas I tend to frequent.

....I also have a boat, two hot tubs and a pool so I'm a sucker for punishment! LOL

Cheers,
Dave

Old 06-18-2018, 10:34 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
....I also have a boat, two hot tubs and a pool so I'm a sucker for punishment! LOL

What's your address? The entire Internet wants to party at your house.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
DPelletier (06-18-2018), PBBarb (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Again; to each thier own. The Jag is a toy for me and I don't remember the last time I drove it with the top up. Though I love the look of the coupe, I wouldn't even consider a sportscar without a removable top......to me the top down motoring is at least half the fun. Strangely I've never had an issue on the many 'verts I've owned

Cheers,
Dave
I won't call the Jag a toy for me, but I won't ever have a main car without it being a convertible again. I tried it once and was miserable (my one stupid attempt to be a "grown up" and got a Volvo). I also like the look of the coupe, but absolutely love mine and unless it's actively raining or below 50 degrees (although now I do have heated seats and steering wheel so will most likely test that come winter), that top is down. I may have swamp butt by the time I get somewhere, but idgaf, I want that top down! I've not had any mechanical issues (yes, I'm knocking on wood at the moment) with any of mine, and while I did have to replace the top of my Mustang twice, I'll take it - that's about 15+ years of driving one, so not too bad considering I live in the city, work downtown and before this house, most of the time didn't even have a driveway for off street parking.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:32 PM

Depends where you are in BC, but yeah, not much of an issue here....particularly in the areas I tend to frequent.

Cheers,
Dave
I keep getting vetoed on either a hot tub or pool (we don't have room where we live now anyway for the pool), and we sold our boat last year, but we do have plans to get one again at some point (for now we've moved to vintage motorcycles which might end up costing more in the long run, except at least we don't have to pay slip fees for these).

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM

Oh, and I'm laughing at the descriptions of the women driving (or refusing to drive) your cars. My husband rarely (twice I think now) rides with me, but I'll admit after he made me angry while I was driving this weekend, I did get a bit more spirited than usual (with someone in the car at least) and made him grab hold. Everyone agrees that it is probably best that I went with the V6S over the V8S I was originally looking at. If it tells you anything about my driving style, other than the long, boring drive home when I got the car and got good mileage, I'm usually averaging about 12mpg these days. That's also the reason my husband is insisting I keep riding the little Honda Rebel 250 he got me as a starter bike for quite a while longer, because he knows me well enough to know I'll want to go too fast too soon. I'm already eyeing what I want next.

Basically, all that to say, that I obviously belong in here with y'all.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous car. I have the exact same except for ccb. Any mods planned?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Congratulations!!! Drive safe

Old 07-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magical
That is a funny story. I have to ask what is (AKA SWMBO) ? But from the consensus and personal experience, it's true. My passenger door has claw marks on it ; )
I'm still laughing Oz
SWMBO she who must be obeyed....

Old 07-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

sheesh....I must have been the only one watching Chinese movies " where the lips don't match up to the words " at the time. Rumpole is something I never saw...lol

Old 07-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by SparksInMI
SWMBO she who must be obeyed....
great pull! My dad watched that show religiously.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,128 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne

great pull! My dad watched that show religiously.
IMHO "Rumpole of the Bailey" is the best television series ever made, never mind Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or Westworld etc (all of which I have seen every episode). It was made back in the day (1975 - 1992) when special effects and CGU were undreamed of. The scripts were brilliant (John Mortimer) and the acting, if a bit hammy at times was first class, particularly by the star of the show Leo McKern (an Aussie!).
My only regret is that they never made an episode of Rumpole's most famous case, the Penge Bungalow Murders, as Leo McKern passed away before they could do so and only Leo could play Rumpole properly. I bought and read the book only a couple of months ago.
I have every episode ever made - 43 - on a hard drive and I think I have watched them all about six times now!

Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Magical, SWMBO is She Who Must Be Obeyed, but I don't know what a Hoon is?

Old 07-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

16fnrbrg, so far the only people I know whom can answer that is Oz, Mbourne, and Sparks. As Oz explained it comes from a tv show. This is Oz's fault....lol

Old 07-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

A hoon, in Australia and New Zealand, is a person who deliberately drives a vehicle in a reckless or dangerous manner, generally in order to provoke a reaction from onlookers.

Hoon activities (or hooning) can include speeding, burnouts, doughnuts, or screeching tyres.[1] Those commonly identified as being involved in hooning are young and predominantly male drivers in the age range of 17 and 35 years.[2]

Hoon control laws are beginning to be extended to dangerous hoon behaviour using boats and other vessels, particularly jet skis. The State of Victoria, Australia passed legislation in late 2009 to control hoon activities using recreational vessels.[3]

Old 07-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,128 Likes on 2,306 Posts

The "speed kills" industry (and yes, it is an industry) in Oz have corrupted the original and true meaning of the word hoon, and even put it into legislation.
It originally meant someone doing burnouts or donuts etc (eg the boys doing some circle work), but now it does not need to be reckless or dangerous at all, it only needs to be "faster than the sheeple" these days to attract the hoon moniker.
Which makes me a hoon although I haven't had a prang for 37.5 years!