F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SVR build thread, yes I am going to mod it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I wonder how much weight differential between the two. Can't be much.
Is it possible to move to a single unpowered gas strut instead of the dual? I haven't spent too much time messing with the trunk in the Jag, but I know this is a common move on other hatchbacks when it comes to saving weight while remaining usable (obviously the biggest weight savings is removing the supports entirely and using a prop to hold it open.)

Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Just based on the speedo discrepancy the V6 had, he was registering 165-167mph on the speedo but his GPS speeds across the beams was around 158mph.

I'd suspect the speedo's are all calibrated equal or very close.
I don't think so. It's all marque and model dependent, and also depends on what tire sizes you are running that deviate from OEM spec.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think so. It's all marque and model dependent, and also depends on what tire sizes you are running that deviate from OEM spec.
I am stock sizes, just PS4S instead of Pzero.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Top work fella!

Stunning car and great visual mods with the breaks and the wheel color choice.

Keep up the good work.... Looking forward to the build and seeing the 650 target smashed.

I am also a fan of tuning having come form the Supra Mk IV world.

Regards

Jon

The following users liked this post:
Gibbo205 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Every time I do a detail - and probably never as nice as this one - there is a Pterodactyl out there somewhere waiting to drop its load to let me know who's still the boss.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Every time I do a detail - and probably never as nice as this one - there is a Pterodactyl out there somewhere waiting to drop its load to let me know who's still the boss.
+1. They like to crap on shiny objects.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:12 AM

Some questions as I want to take car drag racing and I do not mind removing some items from the car for the event that can easily be put back in.

So far the easy wins are:
- Items in boot such as lower compartment, tyre repair kit, rear parcel shelf etc.

Is there anything else I can remove, what does passenger seat weigh? Is it easily removed and if I do will the air bag light come on? If so once seat is plugged back in would light go out?

Old 03-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Some questions as I want to take car drag racing and I do not mind removing some items from the car for the event that can easily be put back in.

So far the easy wins are:
- Items in boot such as lower compartment, tyre repair kit, rear parcel shelf etc.

Is there anything else I can remove, what does passenger seat weigh? Is it easily removed and if I do will the air bag light come on? If so once seat is plugged back in would light go out?
Also remove engine cover. Passenger seat weighs a ton, so you’ll need 2 people to remove. Will indeed throw airbag code, but that should go away once it’s plugged back in.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:36 PM

Also remove engine cover. Passenger seat weighs a ton, so you’ll need 2 people to remove. Will indeed throw airbag code, but that should go away once it’s plugged back in.

No engine cover as its an SVR.
Not sure if its got the sound symposer, need to check this weekend, does the symposer weigh much and once removed do I need a cap, cork to block a hole or anything?

Apart from the weight of the seat, is it easily removed? Gonna assume it weighs around 40kg?

My thoughts are with brakes, battery, boot strip, passenger seat I should be good for nearly 100kg out the car which would put it very close to 1600kg or just under then of course plus myself and fuel.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:53 AM

Going a dyno day on Saturday, what gear should they dyno the car in please?

Old 03-22-2018, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Going a dyno day on Saturday, what gear should they dyno the car in please?
4th gear on the MT. 5th gear on the AT.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-22-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Gibbo205 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 12:00 PM

Ran the SVR on Litchfields dyno today and am really impressed with the results as car is stock:

Attached Thumbnails My SVR build thread, yes I am going to mod it.-svrdyno.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Ran the SVR on Litchfields dyno today and am really impressed with the results as car is stock:
Looks like they may have used a manual transmission correction factor there; probably the reason for the high numbers... Regardless those numbers pretty much mean nothing unless you've got something to compare them to. You could run 600+ on one dyno and 550 or less on the one right next to it.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Is that a rolling road or a hub dyno?

Old 03-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Looks like they may have used a manual transmission correction factor there; probably the reason for the high numbers... Regardless those numbers pretty much mean nothing unless you've got something to compare them to. You could run 600+ on one dyno and 550 or less on the one right next to it.

Maha MSR500, it calculates on coast down, it was a GTR dyno day so the dyno knew it was running automatic based cars.

Car was ran in dynamic, TC full off, sport, 5th gear.

Agreed no other Jaguars ran, I just tagged on at the end of GTR day, had to be the end as they had to shorter the dyno too accommodate the ftype shorter wheelbase.

No idea on accuracy but the car is clearly healthy, especially after pulling close to 190mph (speedo) on the vmax 1 mile runs couple of weeks back and smoking every other car off the line.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:26 PM

In the UK we are less focused on wheel power, we like to see what our cars make against manufacturer claimed flywheel power, as no manufacturer advertises wheel power.

Maha are very common in UK/EU, infact I believe manufacturers like Porsche, Audi, VW use maha alongside engine dyno's to test their own cars.

This link best explains the maha and how it works as it does not uses fixed corrections or correction factors:
https://www.monstertuning.co.uk/dyno...ng-road-tuning

They are great for flywheel power as no BS oh just add 20%, 25% to the wheelpower figures as that is total BS, it calculates from coastdown.

Of course if your into wheel power, then on the flip side maha is a bit of a heart breaker, a dynojet even mustang dyno will generally give higher wheel power figures, but can't give you flywheel accurate as they just used fixed percentage / corrections to take a guess.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

it was a GTR dyno day so the dyno knew it was running automatic based cars.
Sounds like an assumption; your dyno sheet says manual transmission on it.

Anyways, don't get your hopes up on calculated dyno numbers. Regardless of how they calculate it, a dyno is inherently inaccurate. Different temps, atmospheric conditions, fuel quality, etc. all make a huge difference. Unless you ran a bunch of other SVRs on the same day its hard to really say if your car is special or not.

Don't take what they told you as gospel here. That link you provided doesn't tell how the system calculates crank horsepower at all; they just says the dyno calculates it without any more information.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

To have some sort of idea how to compare these figures on this dyno it’s needed to compare results from a stock car in relatively the same conditions (also system setup).

What adds to the complexity of comparing is that the ECU is limiting the engine max torque, and dynos use correction factors for temp/pressure.

For engines that do not have these type of limiters, and always are on full power, you can use the SAE/DIN corrections for temp/pressure

For the stock Jaguar engine this doesn’t add up, as the ECU compensates for temp/pressure losses as it will only limit the max power based on the calculated torque. So with dyno corrections, you will get lower results in cold/high pressure conditions compared to hot/low pressure ones.

Therefor I mentioned to compare with relatively similar conditions to get some idea.

I don’t know how Maha is doing there flywheel estimates with, but most use as a basis a roll out after the power run. That does give some insight into the forces at play, including the way the car was strapped down on the dyno and roller types. That leaves out the full power friction losses, but I am sure Maha has done some good testing and knows a thing or 2 about it to come close.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:53 AM

Videos of the run:

End of the day its just a number, more importantly is the power curve and the torque and power curves are absolutely stunning, no flat spots at all.

On the day my mates GTR made 660HP its a Stage 4, at Vmax one mile racing we did couple weekends back he was on race fuel with 690-700HP and I beat him every time to 150mph at which point he catches back up and then pulls away which is his additional HP coming into play. On the road upto triple digits with him on normal fuel there is nothing in it, even real him in marginally, triple digits he pulls 1/2 to a car length away.

On the day the other SVR which was running had ceramics and I do not, but I won every time, but I put that down to my technique off the line seems to work better.

Main thing is car is clearly healthy, is making the power it should be and maybe a little more.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 03-25-2018 at 09:03 AM.
jaguny (03-25-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:58 PM

Took my SVR Drag racing today at Santa Pod in the UK, a surprisingly warm sunny day for the UK (22c) and the SVR continues to surprise me as achieved a best of 11.3s today and I think I can maybe improve that a touch more as I was experimenting and my very last run was the best run:

Run 1: Dynamic, but suspension soft, gearbox in normal and letting it change up at limiter. Launch from line with half throttle then full!
Run2: Dynamic, but suspension soft, gearbox in normal and letting it shift first gear, then me afterwards. Launch from line with half throttle then full!
Run3: Dynamic, but suspension soft, gearbox in dynamic and in full auto S mode and just matting the gas pedal hard.
Run4: Jumped the lights, lifted but then decided to get back in it and run.
Run5: Full dynamic mode, even suspension, gearbox in S and just mashing the gas pedal. (Notice how the suspension set to hard has marginal negative impact on 60FT and thus impacting ET.
Run6: Dynamic, but suspension soft, gearbox in S full manual mode and me changing myself and short shifting 4th around 5000rpm to use 5th instead of revving 4th out, result slower and lower terminal.
Run7: Wet Mode, Gearbox in sport and full manual mode, kicking throttle hard but not quite full then flat. Wet mode gave a substantial reduction in 60FT and thus my quickest time of the day at 11.3s

TC was fully disabled for all runs and car was in vmax mode for all runs!

Next week, wet mode it is and perfect the throttle from the line, hopefully 2PC brake rotors on in time for next week, be interesting to see if they have any impact, doubtful but be good to see, would like to crack a 11.2s out the car as that pretty much guarantees a 10s car with tune and pulley upgrade.

Some more photos taken from the day:

So impressed with the performance of this car!

Attached Thumbnails My SVR build thread, yes I am going to mod it.-podresults.jpg  
ndabunka (04-14-2018)

Quick Reply: My SVR build thread, yes I am going to mod it.