F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Four buttons to close the power hatch on the coupe!
I always thought it was three - the one on the underside of the hatch (right of centre, rectangular and illuminated), the one inside the cabin next to the fog light switch, and the one on the fob.
But last light SWMBO showed me the fourth one totally by accident.
Long story short she needed to go back to the car and open the hatch but I stayed where I was about 100 yards away, and I gave her the fob. I saw her faffing about trying to close the hatch but she never went near the rectangular button (she had forgotten about it), instead she pressed something else and it closed. This had me completely stumped, so later on I asked her to show me how she did it. She pressed the hatch open/release button, in the middle under the back edge! I tested it a few times and yes it works perfectly, identical to how the rectangular button works.

Last edited by OzXFR; 11-15-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Mine has this also, think it's part of adaptive lighting, at lower speeds lighrs move in direction of steering, very useful, but surpring the first time you notice.
I've had the adaptive headlights on all my BMWs for the past 11 years (2006 7-series and my current 2012 X5). Always liked the way they "nod" up and down when you start the car resetting themselves.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Four buttons to close the power hatch on the coupe!
I always thought it was three - the one on the underside of the hatch (right of centre, rectangular and illuminated), the one inside the cabin next to the fog light switch, and the one on the fob.
But last light SWMBO showed me the fourth one totally by accident.
Long story short she needed to go back to the car and open the hatch but I stayed where I was about 100 yards away, and I gave her the fob. I saw her faffing about trying to close the hatch but she never went near the rectangular button (she had forgotten about it), instead she pressed something else and it closed. This had me completely stumped, so later on I asked her to show me how she did it. She pressed the hatch open/release button, in the middle under the back edge! I tested it a few times and yes it works perfectly, identical to how the rectangular button works.
That's the same button to open from the outside. So much easier than digging around in your pocket for the fob.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, I have been using that button since the beginning, but I just found out that you do not need to let the hatch open all the way. You can push the button while it is in motion and the hatch stops. Push the button again and the hatch closes. This is especially handy for me as I have my battery maintainer on a magnetic connection at the back of the trunk(boot) and I only need the hatch open about 12 inches to reach in and connect/disconnect.
Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Key Fobs not linked to individual driver positions?
I am picking up the car in the morning and my sales person told me that the car does not change memory seating positions based on which key fob is used. This is a bit disappointing to discover in a $100K vehicle so I am hoping that he is simply mis-informed.

All our other vehicles and prior ones have separate and distinct seat positing based on which key fob is used. My wife is 5-foot even and raises her seat to near maximum almost sitting on top of the steering wheel (lol) with it tilted all the way up and almost retracted completely into the dash. I am not quite 6 foot tall and typically have the steering column as low as possible and completely extended & the seat in it's lowest position. Other cars are '12 BMW X5 & '14 Lexus ES300h so I guess we have been a bit spoiled

Old 11-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Key Fobs not linked to individual driver positions?
I am picking up the car in the morning and my sales person told me that the car does not change memory seating positions based on which key fob is used. This is a bit disappointing to discover in a $100K vehicle so I am hoping that he is simply mis-informed.

All our other vehicles and prior ones have separate and distinct seat positing based on which key fob is used. My wife is 5-foot even and raises her seat to near maximum almost sitting on top of the steering wheel (lol) with it tilted all the way up and almost retracted completely into the dash. I am not quite 6 foot tall and typically have the steering column as low as possible and completely extended & the seat in it's lowest position. Other cars are '12 BMW X5 & '14 Lexus ES300h so I guess we have been a bit spoiled
Yep, an oversight I reckon.
But not that hard to get around, just open the driver's door and press the memory button for your seat setting, no need to turn the ignition on first, although the steering wheel won't move until you turn the ignition on.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

All except the base models do have memory settings for driver and passenger but you are correct they do not map to the key fobs. There are four memory positions per seat but only two key fobs, so you're ahead by six memory slots ;-)

My gripe is more like going to a restaurant with a twenty a page menu and figuring out what to order - with a twenty way seat adjustment, it takes hours for me to figure out what position to leave it. Oh wait, I get to choose four different ones and try them out. Win :-)

Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Yeah, I have been using that button since the beginning, but I just found out that you do not need to let the hatch open all the way. You can push the button while it is in motion and the hatch stops. Push the button again and the hatch closes. This is especially handy for me as I have my battery maintainer on a magnetic connection at the back of the trunk(boot) and I only need the hatch open about 12 inches to reach in and connect/disconnect.
Larry
Thanks, that's another one I didn't know about.
To stop the hatch from raising all the way or to drop it down a bit from full height I've simply been grabbing hold of it and moving it manually.
One thing I haven't tried yet is to manually lower it all the way and see it does or doesn't "pull in" the last bit electronically, so I'm just off to the shed to check it out!

Edit - yep, it works. If you close the hatch manually it still pulls tight and locks electronically.

Last edited by OzXFR; 11-15-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:42 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

And the rear hatch default height can be set. Maximum opening will strike my garage door, but it was easy to set the default to lower position. Video on USB stick or manual instructions.
Did anyone order a manual (unpowered) hatch? The Tom Hiddleston Video cost me $1,200 for the power hatch: so cool to open it remotely as you approach with your hands full with a leather valise.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
And the rear hatch default height can be set. Maximum opening will strike my garage door, but it was easy to set the default to lower position. Video on USB stick or manual instructions.
Did anyone order a manual (unpowered) hatch? The Tom Hiddleston Video cost me $1,200 for the power hatch: so cool to open it remotely as you approach with your hands full with a leather valise.
That villain!

Old 11-16-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

No voice commands for the NAVI. I had thought that shortfall was addressed with the '17s but I guess I was wrong. Not a fan of the touchscreen at all but other than that this car is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

I never thought another car would be as impressive zero to sixty than my prior AMG with it's hand-built normally aspirated v8. The additional power and a lighter chassis makes this R and AWESOME machine... grinning ear-to-ear on the ride home.

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-16-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you turn the car on but not the engine sometimes called accessory mode and hit memory 1, memory 2, pull the right paddle, then the radio off then on twice and it will pull up a secret menu on the screen. On that menu you can turn the car up to 11.

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I remember trying voice command navigation somewhere. Hilarity ensued. I can imagine JLR decided to play safe and just not even try rather than risk snickering. If you really want to have a go at voice navigation with InControl and have an iPhone, see if JustDrive works for you. Or don't if your carrier is TMO.

Honestly these days, the phone you carry around runs rings around what is installed in your car. But then your phone probably doesn't have a great 0-60 time and an exhaust note that makes you smile that hard.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

No voice commands for the NAVI. I had thought that shortfall was addressed with the '17s but I guess I was wrong. Not a fan of the touchscreen at all but other than that this car is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

I never thought another car would be as impressive zero to sixty than my prior AMG with it's hand-built normally aspirated v8. The additional power and a lighter chassis makes this R and AWESOME machine... grinning ear-to-ear on the ride home.
The JustDrive app will respond to Voice Command via the Infotainment system.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The JustDrive app will respond to Voice Command via the Infotainment system.
I have worked in the telcom industry (designing VoIP and Cell sites) for the past 20 years so I have never paid a cell bill as a "free" phone has always been one of the perks. Unfortunately, the current phone is a .... Windows !?!?@&^%@# Phone that nobody develops for and even MicroSoft halted any further provide and/or support going forward. It may be time to actually buy my own phone...

Old 11-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Unfortunately, the current phone is a .... Windows !?!?@&^%@# Phone that nobody develops for and even MicroSoft halted any further provide and/or support going forward. It may be time to actually buy my own phone...
I think that a recent report that even Bill Gates doesn't have Windows phone should tell us something about these.

Incidentally he confirmed that he also didn't have a iPhone.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

“Hey Siri” is good for totally hands free phone calls and stored music on the iPhone.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I think that a recent report that even Bill Gates doesn't have Windows phone should tell us something about these.

Incidentally he confirmed that he also didn't have a iPhone.
It's the cobbler's kids not having shoes all over again.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

2018 Infotainment system -- if your Sirius XM loses its signal such that you need to have the signal refreshed, you also lose all your presets First world problem but still annoying.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bb_sam
2018 Infotainment system -- if your Sirius XM loses its signal such that you need to have the signal refreshed, you also lose all your presets First world problem but still annoying.
??? Every time I drive into my garage, I lose the satellite signal. I've never lost the presets.

Quick Reply: Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...