Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jaguar. Cheap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default New Jaguar. Cheap.

Admittedly it is early, my screen is dimmed, and I can't tell what Jag that is. Taillights look F-Type, but can't tell if it is a sedan.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/weird-news/2016-jaguar-winds-up-in-community-pool

Old 06-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Definitely a convertible, ergo an F-Type if it's a 2016 model.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Definitely a convertible, ergo an F-Type if it's a 2016 model.
1st pic looks like a vert, Second looks like a sedan. I think it's an XE.

I love how when old people now confuse the accelerator and brake it's ... It accelerated uncontrollably. This never happened before the Toyota lawsuits a few years back now it's mysteriously a common occurrence.

Tesla is calling out its owners that are blaming the cars ... All manufacturers should pull then data from the cars and do the same.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

It's definitely a sedan - the bonnet bulge is a giveaway. It's not an XJ (they are too long to park in coach spaces let alone a swimming pool) so it must be an XE of an XF.

Thank goodness she was able to get out ok and shut the door. You don't want anyone diving in and nicking it!

I'm with Shaun - when I hear the phrase "uncontrolled accerlation" with modern electronic throttle cars it is usually a case of the driver pressing the wrong pedal or catching the accelerator with their foot and then in the panic pressing it further. Even if you floor the gas the brakes will always provide enough stopping power to reduce the speed not increase it and the engine will stall once the wheels stop. You'd need a multiple failure for that not to happen. (At least on 2WD vehicles - is that the same with AWD?) Turning the engine off should also stop it running, unless you have a diesel that is running on its own oil.

With key-started cars it is easy to turn off the engine but keep the ignition active and the steering column unlocked. I'm not sure how you would do that with a keyless car where you don't want the steering column to lock?

The only time I have experienced uncontrolled acceleration in a car was in a petrol Audi A4 about 10 years ago when the throttle wire jammed, and the brakes brought it to a stop safely. Fortunately no swimming pools where hurt in that incident.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Unintended acceleration or at least perceived unintended acceleration put Audi out of business in the United States for many, many years. Reports started in late 1970's, and by the mid-80's Audi was out of the U.S. market. They consistently denied any mechanical problem and blamed driver error.

The following users liked this post:
IRRBrogue (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Perhaps she is related to my favorite drummer of all time; Keith Moon? (Although his driving his Rolls into a pool is merely myth, even if he did crash, trash, and, yes, sink, many things - including cars - over the years).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-13-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you followed Toyota runaway acceleration issue, it was traced down to flawed firmware that could, on rare occasions, fail in an unsafe way. They even changed design on Prius as an additional safety measure. That why they settled, but at that time it was out of news cycle, so not many people heard about this.

In a conventional gasoline engine brakes will overpower engine, but I am not sure this would be the case in a hybrid or all-electric car.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Unintended acceleration or at least perceived unintended acceleration put Audi out of business in the United States for many, many years. Reports started in late 1970's, and by the mid-80's Audi was out of the U.S. market. They consistently denied any mechanical problem and blamed driver error.

In one famous case, the prosecution was blaming the acceleration on a faulty cruise control unit. Audi pointed out that the majority of cars involved were not equipped with cruise control.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I recall the Audi issue was the 5000 model. It had a large transmission, and that forced the pedals to move to the left, to make room. When you put your foot down where the brake pedal should have been, you hit the gas pedal. Design flaw, and human error, combined.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Driver was 80 years old. I do not think we need Scotland Yard to solve this one. But I am amazed she did not drown.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
If you followed Toyota runaway acceleration issue, it was traced down to flawed firmware that could, on rare occasions, fail in an unsafe way. They even changed design on Prius as an additional safety measure. That why they settled, but at that time it was out of news cycle, so not many people heard about this.
That's not true. The NHTSA's lengthy investigation exonerated Toyota, but only after irreparable harm had been done to their reputation (not to mention sales). Every case was either floor mats not secured properly or driver error.

It's All Your Fault: The DOT Renders Its Verdict on Toyota's Unintended-Acceleration Scare ? Feature ? Car and Driver

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by R1nZX
That's not true. The NHTSA's lengthy investigation exonerated Toyota, but only after irreparable harm had been done to their reputation (not to mention sales). Every case was either floor mats not secured properly or driver error.

It's All Your Fault: The DOT Renders Its Verdict on Toyota's Unintended-Acceleration Scare ? Feature ? Car and Driver
Exactly right. It never ceases to amaze me how urban myths get started and hang on for years. Since lengthy investigations always conclude once media attention has moved on, the truth is rarely known by the masses.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like an XF. Definitely a four door as you can see the rear door handles.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IRRBrogue
I recall the Audi issue was the 5000 model. It had a large transmission, and that forced the pedals to move to the left, to make room. When you put your foot down where the brake pedal should have been, you hit the gas pedal. Design flaw, and human error, combined.
Hence the phrase Audi 5000 when you want to take off.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

The VP at my mid-80s employer was the beneficiary of the Company Owners wife's Audi after we told her of this issue when she would come to the office and park outside of the window in front of our desks. VPs parking spot was away from our window, so it worked out for everyone.

She received a new car; we received peace of mind.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-13-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I don't know whether most of the cases were real mechanical issues or driver error (I would suspect driver error), however, one driver parked in front of a store in our shopping center, hopped the concrete parking stop, hopped the curb, shot past ten feet of sidewalk, and barreled through a stone faced wall and window and ended up inside one of our tenants' store. Now that's what I called "unintended acceleration!"

Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I've never heard or driven a car where the engine was able to overpower the brakes. I call shenanigans.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know whether most of the cases were real mechanical issues or driver error (I would suspect driver error), however, one driver parked in front of a store in our shopping center, hopped the concrete parking stop, hopped the curb, shot past ten feet of sidewalk, and barreled through a stone faced wall and window and ended up inside one of our tenants' store. Now that's what I called "unintended acceleration!"
Hence our concern in the mid 80s with Audi 5000 parked outside of our windows with skittishness driver.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hence our concern in the mid 80s with Audi 5000 parked outside of our windows with skittishness driver.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I've never heard or driven a car where the engine was able to overpower the brakes. I call shenanigans.
If you're referring to the poster above, he said that was true with a conventional car. Electrics are interesting because they make maximum torque when the car is not moving. A car like a Tesla, of course, is smart enough to ignore the accelerator when the brakes are applied (except, presumably, in launch mode), but I wonder if the motors could overcome the brakes in the absence of those safety measures?

Quick Reply: New Jaguar. Cheap.