F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Side Power Vents

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Side Power Vents

I am replacing the chrome/black side power vents with all black ones. When I searched the forum for instructions on how to remove the old and install the new vents, this is what I came up with. " The Carbon Fibre Fender Louvres: (JAF 0104_1E) : http://www.mediafire.com/view/dfrf77...er_Louvres.pdf

I'm assuming that is what the service departments use. All I could tell was to take an interior trim tool and pop the old vents from the top edge?

Anyone done this before?

Old 01-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

There's a thread recently on installing carbon fiber mirror covers. In it MI-FTYPE wrote how it installed the CF side vents.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemer
I am replacing the chrome/black side power vents with all black ones. When I searched the forum for instructions on how to remove the old and install the new vents, this is what I came up with. " The Carbon Fibre Fender Louvres: (JAF 0104_1E) : http://www.mediafire.com/view/dfrf77...er_Louvres.pdf

I'm assuming that is what the service departments use. All I could tell was to take an interior trim tool and pop the old vents from the top edge?

Anyone done this before?
Your link doesn't work - the middle part has been replaced with '...'.

I think replacement of the side louvres generally results in their destruction - I recollect someone saying you had to drill a couple of holes, and pull them out using a zip tie (put through the holes), which breaks all the clips.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

As explained in a previous thread:

Side vent install: Lift the hood, open the door, mask off the area all around side vent (top & bottom) to prevent any possible scratches... Insert a trim removal tool at the top, center of the vent and with some force, begin prying the tool back along the top of the vent. The top clips will pop off without breaking. This will not dent the aluminum... It's very rigid at the top and behind the vent. Slide the trim removal tool down farther behind the vent while pulling it forward to snap off the bottom clips... most of them will break off (unless you were to pry from the bottom up, but this would inevitably damage your paint or possibly dent your fender). The stock vents aren't worth saving anyway and are the least expensive type to purchase if you ever wanted to go back.

The replacement vent then snaps right on with no issues.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:36 AM

Thanks all.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's how the dealer took mine, as I watched, he opened the hood, detached the two screws that holds the side panel (the fender) put his hand inside and detached all the clips, the side vent went out complete and with no broken clips, then he reattached the screws and voila, it was done, a 15 minute job on each side.

The following 3 users liked this post by jns2001:
F-typical (01-16-2015), Unhingd (01-16-2015), WayneB (01-18-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jns2001
Here's how the dealer took mine, as I watched, he opened the hood, detached the two screws that holds the side panel (the fender) put his hand inside and detached all the clips, the side vent went out complete and with no broken clips, then he reattached the screws and voila, it was done, a 15 minute job on each side.
Thanks. That makes more sense.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The directions from JLA clearly instruct you to pry under the vent with a trim tool... not take off the fender; which seems like it would be a complicated move. Who gives a poop if you break a couple clips? If you really cared you wouldn't be changing the piece in the first place. MI-Ftype explained the process perfectly!

Last edited by A15FS; 01-17-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by A15FS
Who gives a poop if you break a couple clips? If you really cared you wouldn't be changing the piece in the first place. MI-Ftype explained the process perfectly!
MI-Ftype approached the issue exactly as I would have in the absence of better info. Yet, that approach still requires the application of prying and forcing which puts the paint surfaces at risk if adequate care is not taken. The engineers designed the car without factoring in the need to use a crowbar to remove various pieces.
In this case, the removal of a few screws (designed for such purpose) offers sufficient access to properly unhook the clips which provides the elegant solution to the task.

I would heed the advice of a professional rather than to follow my own instinct to remove and destroy.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-18-2015 at 09:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DuhCar (01-18-2015), James Ellison (04-28-2020), WayneB (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't need to take off the fender, the removal of two screws give it more space than you need, if that was not the correct procedure, the Jag dealer just found a much easier and less riskier way of doing it.

The following 3 users liked this post by jns2001:
DuhCar (01-18-2015), Unhingd (01-18-2015), WayneB (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 AM

Potatoe-Potato both methods yield the same desired result. I did mine according to the supplied directions. Never thought about pulling the fender back... It makes sense though and if that's the case, they should revise the instructions. I wasn't too concerned about breaking the clips and saving the piece. I like the Carbon Fiber much better and don't see myself going back.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lhoboy
MI-Ftype approached the issue exactly as I would have in the absence of better info. Yet, that approach still requires the application of prying and forcing which puts the paint surfaces at risk if adequate care is not taken. The engineers designed the car without factoring in the need to use a crowbar to remove various pieces.
In this case, the removal of a few screws (designed for such purpose) offers sufficient access to properly unhook the clips which provides the elegant solution to the task.

I would heed the advice of a professional rather than to follow my own instinct to remove and destroy.
I have to agree completely on this. I don't like to needlessly destroy perfectly good parts to replace them and prying on aluminum body parts still makes me cringe even if it is what the factory recommends.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Maybe it's a conspiracy... they want you break them so you will have to buy new if you ever want to go back. LOL

Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default It's a Bitch

I had these replaced on my car, dealer volunteered to do it for free and I think regretted it as they said it was impressively difficult. Wheel well liner out and very little room to work (very tight space). The danger of prying it out is Aluminum bends really easy. Breaking the vent isn't anywhere near as troublesome as bending part of the fender. It looks like they snap in very easily. If the dealer screws up the fender they fix it but bending one and paying for the labor and potential paint to fix it could be impressively expensive. Now you likely could cut a hole in the center of the vent then release it but I'd leave that for braver folks than me. If I did something like this and damaged the car my wife would remind me of it for the rest of my life.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
I had these replaced on my car, dealer volunteered to do it for free and I think regretted it as they said it was impressively difficult. Wheel well liner out and very little room to work (very tight space). The danger of prying it out is Aluminum bends really easy. Breaking the vent isn't anywhere near as troublesome as bending part of the fender. It looks like they snap in very easily. If the dealer screws up the fender they fix it but bending one and paying for the labor and potential paint to fix it could be impressively expensive. Now you likely could cut a hole in the center of the vent then release it but I'd leave that for braver folks than me. If I did something like this and damaged the car my wife would remind me of it for the rest of my life.
Perhaps I just got lucky... In following the instructions, I had no issues other than breaking the clips on the old ones. No dents, no scratches what so-ever. But I was careful to mask off the area, use the correct tool and only pry from behind the vent where the aluminum is most rigid. It popped off very easily and both sides took 15 minutes.

I did read in the XK forum about the drilling and pulling method. Now that seems like b*tch! But on those models there is no easy way to get behind the vent without risking damage.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM

Well, I finally got the vents and taped off the body around the first side and got nervous. The tool I have is steel which will damage the body since it stronger than the aluminum. Should the tool being used be plastic so as to not damage the body? Second, if I were to do the bolt removal method, are we talking about the two bolts that hold the fender on? I see one screw at the rear of the fender liner. The black trim piece by the door being held by the 3 screws is just left alone even though the side piece is partially in front of it? Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Should the tool being used be plastic so as to not damage the body?
Yes, the tools should be plastic. Pick up a set of trim tools similar to these - a set can be had for about $5 at Harbor Freight.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Joz132
Yes, the tools should be plastic. Pick up a set of trim tools similar to these - a set can be had for about $5 at Harbor Freight.

Or 2 to 3 times that much at any car parts store.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:57 PM

Well, I finally got the vents and taped off the body around the first side and got nervous. The tool I have is steel which will damage the body since it stronger than the aluminum. Should the tool being used be plastic so as to not damage the body? Second, if I were to do the bolt removal method, are we talking about the two bolts that hold the fender on? I see one screw at the rear of the fender liner. The black trim piece by the door being held by the 3 screws is just left alone even though the side piece is partially in front of it? Thanks again.

LOL... I was nervous too, but it's a minor operation. If you do use the pry method like I did you will hear the clips snapping off as you pry and pull the vent away from the body. Don't be alarmed; it isn't causing any damage to the body panel.

The trim removal tool at the top of the photo is the best one for the job.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Plastic baking utensils also work well. Just make sure you put them through the dishwasher immediate after. That way, any distortion can be blamed on the dishwasher...

Quick Reply: New Side Power Vents