Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No bumper front grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Obviously, I wasn't clear enough. The P7 has a black-covered bar behind the grill and similar to the std bar mounted outside the grill, extending through the 2-piece grill, and covering the bare aluminum bar behind the grill which is part of the chassis. I suppose you could paint the aluminum bar black, but it's going to look a bit "industrial." It appears that there's a unique to P7 thermoplastic cover that hides the same aluminum bar we have, but it fits behind the grill.
In the pics I've seen it looks like the P7's just have the same aluminum cross brace as all F-Types and it's painted black. Either way, paint the bar black and it will look fine; a great many vehicles have painted radiator surrounds, etc. so they aren't noticeable through the grill.

Dave

Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

tried to post a pic to no avail....anyhow, even if that is a painted cover on the P7, it would be easy enough to fab one out of aluminum ....but I don't think you'd need to; a coat of flat black on the bar should look fine IMO.

Dave

Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
In the pics I've seen it looks like the P7's just have the same aluminum cross brace as all F-Types and it's painted black. Either way, paint the bar black and it will look fine; a great many vehicles have painted radiator surrounds, etc. so they aren't noticeable through the grill.

Dave
That was precisely my question. There were some close-ups shots of the P7 grill published here from a car at a dealer awaiting delivery. To me, it appeared to have a similar plastic bar BEHIND the grill. It looked more finished than the aluminum cross brace all F-Types have.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-22-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Yes, but does it fit the F-Type Opening?
We'll see, but I'm willing to bet good money that it does....in fact I did!

Dave

Old 03-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

That was precisely my question. There were some close-ups shots of the P7 grill published here from a car at a dealer awaiting delivery. To me, it appear to have a similar plastic bar BEHIND the grill. It looked more finished than the aluminum cross brace all F-Types have.
I've looked closely at the pics and see what you mean; the bar behind the P7 grill doesn't appear to be the same shape as the structural F type crossmember.....but I'm not really worried about it; I think it will look fine painted black behind (most vehicles have all kinds of black painted braces, rad supports, intercoolers, radiators and other components that would otherwise be visable through the grill). and if not, it would be easy to fab such a pce out of aluminum sheet and powdercoat it flat black. You'd never notice, even at close range.

In my other life, I spent hours reviewing the procedures for painting the rad support crossbracing of classic mopars flat black just like they did at the factory.

Dave

Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Obviously, I wasn't clear enough. The P7 has a black-covered bar behind the grill and similar to the std bar mounted outside the grill, extending through the 2-piece grill, and covering the bare aluminum bar behind the grill which is part of the chassis. I suppose you could paint the aluminum bar black, but it's going to look a bit "industrial." It appears that there's a unique to P7 thermoplastic cover that hides the same aluminum bar we have, but it fits behind the grill.
I think you are overthinking it Foosh. Everything visible behind the grill can be painted flat black, and it should not be anymore apparent than in the picture of the Arden concept at the top of this thread. If, after all is said and done, it is still too visible after painting, I'm prepared to install a high-flow flat black mesh screen floated off the back of the P7 grill by some distance, a 1/2" or more if the space is there.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

It appears that there's a unique to P7 thermoplastic cover that hides the same aluminum bar we have, but it fits behind the grill.
If so, I'll need to order another part.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 AM

I've looked closely at the pics and see what you mean; the bar behind the P7 grill doesn't appear to be the same shape as the structural F type crossmember.....but I'm not really worried about it; I think it will look fine painted black behind (most vehicles have all kinds of black painted braces, rad supports, intercoolers, radiators and other components that would otherwise be visable through the grill). and if not, it would be easy to fab such a pce out of aluminum sheet and powdercoat it flat black. You'd never notice, even at close range.

In my other life, I spent hours reviewing the procedures for painting the rad support crossbracing of classic mopars flat black just like they did at the factory.

Dave
lol. I responded to Foosh before noticing this thread had expanded to a second page. We appear to be on the exact same page.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

I think you are overthinking it Foosh. Everything visible behind the grill can be painted flat black, and it should not be anymore apparent than in the picture of the Arden concept at the top of this thread. If, after all is said and done, it is still too visible after painting, I'm prepared to install a high-flow flat black mesh screen floated off the back of the P7 grill by some distance, a 1/2" or more if the space is there.
LOL . . . no overthinking for me, since I'm not interested in doing it. I think the external bar looks good, and I'm glad it's there for a little added protection.

I simply was wondering if there was another part besides the grill to make it look just like the P7, hence my question.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ok...here's the first to arrive. 1 am now working with the next person to have expressed interest to find him a supplier. The 2 parts are definitely not available online from U.S. distributors.

I happen to have an extra F-Type Grill Surround sitting in a box in my office. I just measured it...

Outside (frontside) dimensions at the widest point: 37-5/8 x 11-7/8
Inside (backside) opening at the widest point: 34-1/4 x 9-7/8

Old 03-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I happen to have an extra F-Type Grill Surround sitting in a box in my office. I just measured it...

Outside (frontside) dimensions at the widest point: 37-5/8 x 11-7/8
Inside (backside) opening at the widest point: 34-1/4 x 9-7/8
Thanks, I'll check tonight.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:27 AM

LOL . . . no overthinking for me, since I'm not interested in doing it. I think the external bar looks good, and I'm glad it's there for a little added protection.

I simply was wondering if there was another part besides the grill to make it look just like the P7, hence my question.
I'm not trying to make it look like a P7, I'm most interested in getting rid of, what I consider the most distasteful exterior component on the entire car. The bumper bar needlessly interrupts the flow of Ian Callum's masterful design. We all know its there to satisfy some DOT safety regulation... but I have no intent on hitting anything - stoopid comment I know - but if I do hit something, it will be at a rate of speed that exceeds any help afforded by the bumper bar.

I knew before I even ordered my car that this part was getting the heave-ho, one way or another.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

I realize the bar doesn't provide much protection, but it does help with those little "love taps," which can be delivered while your car is parked.

To each his own. I agree the glossy black bar on S and R models stands out too much, but the base car comes with a satin finish that blends w/ the grill and more or less disappears from 20 feet away.

What bar?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:47 AM

I realize the bar doesn't provide much protection, but it does help with those little "love taps," which can be delivered while your car is parked.

To each his own. I agree the glossy black bar on S and R models stands out too much, but the base car comes with a satin finish that blends w/ the grill and more or less disappears from 20 feet away.

What bar?
LOL. the angle away from the sunlight with the grill in shade helps make your case.
Turn that kitty facing the sun and shoot another pic.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Yep; not trying to be argumentative but I agree with Mike; the bar stood out to me the first time I looked at an F type; and I'd suggest the "protection" offered by that pce of plastic backed by expanded foam is little to nothing.

Hopefully, I'll receive mine, install it and we'll see what it looks like.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Yep; not trying to be argumentative but I agree with Mike; the bar stood out to me the first time I looked at an F type; and I'd suggest the "protection" offered by that pce of plastic backed by expanded foam is little to nothing.

Hopefully, I'll receive mine, install it and we'll see what it looks like.

Cheers,
Dave
Yes, I've already acknowledged that. But "little" is better than "nothing," and a 2 mph love tap on that bar could keep me from having to repair or repaint the nose.

I think the bar looks fine, and I didn't really even notice it until I got the car home after delivery. Some people fixate on things that the vast majority don't even notice.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-22-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I've already acknowledged that. But "little" is better than "nothing," and a 2 mph love tap on that bar could keep me from having to repair or repaint the nose.

I think the bar looks fine, and I didn't really even notice it until I got the car home after delivery. Some people fixate on things that the vast majority don't even notice.

Sure; we all have different tastes. For me the bar is by far the least attractive part of the car's exterior. If it was going to cost me $5k to get rid of the bar, I'd live with it but if this works, I'll be a very happy camper.

As far as the small chance that the plastic/foam pce would minimise damage in an accident; I'm not concerned.

....and though I like the P7 for what it is, I don't want one nor do I want to try to make my V8S look like one. I'm just taking advantage of an F type grill that is sans bar.

Interesting thought on the DOT thing too; the P7 must have to meet the same standards yet no plastic/insulation "bar" even on cars sold in the US and Canada.....weird.

Dave

Old 03-22-2016, 01:21 PM

Wonder if there are certain limited production numbers wherein a vehicle can qualify for a variance. Would seem logical that some ultra exotic cars might get a whole lot of exceptions.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

As far as the small chance that the plastic/foam pce would minimise damage in an accident; I'm not concerned.

Interesting thought on the DOT thing too; the P7 must have to meet the same standards yet no plastic/insulation "bar" even on cars sold in the US and Canada.....weird.

Dave
Something tells me you're missing my point. As I've essentially said twice above, I don't think for one second that bar is going to make any difference in an "accident." I'm referring exclusively to providing a little protection in 1-2 mph parking lot bumps and nudges, which often happen when you're not even in the car. That could be the difference between replacing, repairing, and/or painting the nose.

On the DOT thing, the rule is to survive a 2 mph impact w/ no damage to any of the cars major systems. Cosmetic damage doesn't count, so the P7 complies w/ US regs, but will be more likely to suffer more nose damage than a std. F-Type.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Something tells me you're missing my point. As I've essentially said twice above, I don't think for one second that bar is going to make any difference in an "accident." I'm referring exclusively to providing a little protection in 1-2 mph parking lot bumps and nudges, which often happen when you're not even in the car. That could be the difference between replacing, repairing, and/or painting the nose.

On the DOT thing, the rule is to survive a 2 mph impact w/ no damage to any of the cars major systems. Cosmetic damage doesn't count, so the P7 complies w/ US regs, but will be more likely to suffer more nose damage than a std. F-Type.

Thanks; I'm not missing your point, it just isn't a big enough concern for me to worry about. There is a small window of "contact" where that plastic pce provides much in the way of additional protection , though I'll concede the possibility does exist.

Not much difference in damage potential between the F7 grill arrangement and if you hit (or were hit) on the rear of the car. I get your point, I'm simply OK with what I perceive as a very small additional risk.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by DPelletier; 03-22-2016 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: No bumper front grill