Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No rear cam initially; at start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts
Default No rear cam initially; at start up

Odd issue with the rear camera were it doesn't work when I first warm up the car and back out of my steep driveway. Will tinker with it tomorrow.

Also have a rubbing sound coming from the front passenger wheel. Sound comes with every rotation. Could have sworn I had that issue with another car once.

Can't see any obstruction. Tomorrow I'll put my new race lift to good use and hand spin the wheel/tire and see if I can find it.

Funny - I loved the earlier comment that a beautiful car is like a beautiful woman - high maintenance

Old 04-22-2017, 04:46 AM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Funny - I loved the earlier comment that a beautiful car is like a beautiful woman - high maintenance
++1. Been there. Done that.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Odd issue with the rear camera were it doesn't work when I first warm up the car and back out of my steep driveway. Will tinker with it tomorrow.

Also have a rubbing sound coming from the front passenger wheel. Sound comes with every rotation. Could have sworn I had that issue with another car once.

Can't see any obstruction. Tomorrow I'll put my new race lift to good use and hand spin the wheel/tire and see if I can find it.

I had a bit of gravel lodge between the disc and backing shield that caused a rubbing sound. Note to self: stay under 60 mph on gravel driveway. Wheel had to be removed to find the problem.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

How quick are you putting it into reverse after starting the car? The infotainment unit takes about 20 seconds to boot up for my car before the camera is available in my 2014.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mueller
How quick are you putting it into reverse after starting the car? The infotainment unit takes about 20 seconds to boot up for my car before the camera is available in my 2014.
+1. on my MY 17 it takes awhile for the camera to become available. If I start the car and throw it into reverse..no camera....which is good I think....makes me sit a moment and gather my thoughts before jumping out on the road :-)
CRS

Old 04-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I had a bit of gravel lodge between the disc and backing shield that caused a rubbing sound. Note to self: stay under 60 mph on gravel driveway. Wheel had to be removed to find the problem.
My first thought was something with the dust shield too.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
+1. on my MY 17 it takes awhile for the camera to become available. If I start the car and throw it into reverse..no camera....which is good I think....makes me sit a moment and gather my thoughts before jumping out on the road :-)
CRS
I always wait until it comes off of fast idle before moving. That's usually about the same time the infotainment comes alive.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Things like this are what make me a little paranoid about my ccbs

Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well that might be the camera issue as I have been doing the 'put it in gear to get the car to shut up' thing. Will try a couple things.

As far as the rotational noise, I jacked up the car and spun the wheel by hand and not hearing it. Pulled the wheel off to look further and couldn't see any gravel or obstruction, but I did find this:

Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

I thought my 17mm spacers were clearing the wheels via the metal string measurement test, but apparently not.

So I got out my portable grinder and ground off about 2mm.

Tomorrow's project will be to check the other three wheel clearances. If that rotation sound is still there I'll have a shop or the dealer check it out. Beyond my abilities.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 04-22-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Those gouge marks in the rim look to me to be a fair bit off centre, and I think I can also see crescent shaped gouge marks on the edges of the recesses, on the same side as the off-centre marks.
That tells me the rim wasn't sitting flat/tight to the spacer and as a result it was moving around a little and maybe causing the rubbing/rumbling sound.
Taking 2 mm off the studs should do the trick.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

I just took it for a slow drive after that work to the front passenger wheel and I can no longer hear the sound .

Seems 'flatter' now - lol - I know it is weird but I always felt like something was not right.

I know you can grind all the way to the threads but I figured I'd grind away the cupped recess and then about the same amount of space again.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I just took it for a slow drive after that work to the front passenger wheel and I can no longer hear the sound .

Seems 'flatter' now - lol - I know it is weird but I always felt like something was not right.

I know you can grind all the way to the threads but I figured I'd grind away the cupped recess and then about the same amount of space again.
If you whittled on the spoke recesses, you should have the wheel balanced just to be safe. You probably didn't take off enough meat to in any way affect the balance ...but just to be certain.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (04-23-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Got all my bolts filed down.

Rear cam definitely doesnt engage at first reverse. Later on with the dealer I guess.