F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NorCal F-Type event

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

I appreciate everyone's enthusiam on this project! We have a home in the Tahoe area and Granite Bay. As such, the drive up and down hwy 50 is quite enjoyable. However, the time of year dictates this as an option. That aside, we are in and will await the groups final decision.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, eeeeek, for launching this thread. Love the idea and we're in. We live just west of Petaluma, in Sonoma Co., so are in the thick of proposed routes. Happy to help with planning and coordinating as needed.

> There is a tunnel just north of the Golden Gate Bridge...

Ah yes, the Waldo/Robin Williams tunnel. That's the first one I drove through with Active Exhaust on and the windows down. It nearly deafened me, and surely startled everyone else, but what a lovely guttural howl!

Tom

Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Importantly, we need a name for this event.

Gold to Grape?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonoman
Thanks, eeeeek, for launching this thread. Love the idea and we're in. We live just west of Petaluma, in Sonoma Co., so are in the thick of proposed routes. Happy to help with planning and coordinating as needed.

> There is a tunnel just north of the Golden Gate Bridge...

Ah yes, the Waldo/Robin Williams tunnel. That's the first one I drove through with Active Exhaust on and the windows down. It nearly deafened me, and surely startled everyone else, but what a lovely guttural howl!

Tom
I remember the first tunnel I drove through with exhaust open (actually pulled the fuse on my 14 as the button wasn't optioned so its always in loud mode). Got turned around/lost in Monterey and just happened to find it. I now hunt for any overpass/tunnel I can find. Ridiculous noise.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:11 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrnout
I remember the first tunnel I drove through with exhaust open (actually pulled the fuse on my 14 as the button wasn't optioned so its always in loud mode). Got turned around/lost in Monterey and just happened to find it. I now hunt for any overpass/tunnel I can find. Ridiculous noise.
Stock F-Types sound like Teslas next to my car

Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by zmoothg

Stock F-Types sound like Teslas next to my car
It certainly looks like your car has quite the modification list but I don't think anything can make even a base Ftype sound like a Tesla in a tunnel.

How do you like your VAP tune? Been thinking about it for our V8S but I've had so much fun in this being our first Jaguar Ftype I might just keep this one as stock as possible for resale while I keep my eyes out for an SVR. The V8S has plenty of power stock for the type of daily and weekend spirited driving I do and I've never been to a track and don't plan on ever taking this car to a track so it may not be worth it. Plus the car has been so bulletproof I would hate to mess up or risk messing up an already great thing.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Importantly, we need a name for this event.

Gold to Grape?
Are we trying to make this an annual thing like Fuel Run and Cannonball rally's? Maybe make it a Jaguar and/or Ftype specific name.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Are we trying to make this an annual thing like Fuel Run and Cannonball rally's? Maybe make it a Jaguar and/or Ftype specific name.
This started in response to the Wild Blueberry Blast, so I think he was looking at a name along similar lines. If we come up with a nice destination that is worthy of annual repetition, perhaps with a number of alternate routes to and from, that would tip the scales. That would help with event naming too. Alternately, an annual-ish event with a rotating destination would lend itself to a different naming convention. I haven't had a flash of inspiration so far, but I've been pretty jammed up and need to catch my breath.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:27 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow, y'all have been productive since I last checked in, thanks! I once went from Cobb (near Middletown) to Granite Bay, but that was pre-Jag so was just in the (AMG) Benz. I'm southern peninsula (OK, I just don't like to say "south bay" ) so am familiar with roads south of SF to Santa Cruz. I'm pretty flexible on dates/days. Mendocino could be a stopping off point too and don't forget about the aforementioned Comptche-Ukiah Rd. Thanks for putting all this time in so far!

Old 08-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Fishbits, does my timing make sense for the hotels? If so , I need to start booking soon. If not, we might need to push the whole thing to Spring 2019.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Try the mile long, single lane tunnel to Fort Cronkite! It is basically under the Robin Williams Tunnel! Will make you laugh out loud the entire length!
Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by jbajor
Try the mile long, single lane tunnel to Fort Cronkite! It is basically under the Robin Williams Tunnel! Will make you laugh out loud the entire length!
Enjoy!
Are there any fault lines near there? If you have too many F-types, you might trigger The Big One.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jbajor
Enjoy!
A line of F-Types through there is going to have to happen.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Are there any fault lines near there? If you have too many F-types, you might trigger The Big One.
If we can all get our cars to redline at the same time, we might tear a hole in the space time continuum and come out the other side of the tunnel in the future.

True, it might not happen, but I think there is a non-zero chance that it would. Either that or we all come out the other side stone deaf.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be in for something like this. I'm up in Portland but wouldn't mind the road trip for something as big as this...though the further north the better Maybe I can help organize the PNW people to caravan down.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Holy crap. Of course. The Jag Owner's Club of North America has a print paper called the Jagazette, and they do runs all over Nor Cal. LOL
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4xp64hqhl...9_Sep.pdf?dl=0

I can't believe it! =) I guess online F-Type people and old school old model Jag people aren't the same people. Too bad there's not one clearing house for all member forums, print and digital, wrapping in Reddit, forums, print, etc. =/

Old 08-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

As a member of So. Cal Audi Club (don't own an Audi but participate in their track day events for years), I received this in an email yesterday. Although short on details, we might look at a route like this as well with similar stopovers.
Hello Golden Gate chapter members,

Our Sierra chapter invites everyone to an Audi Drive ‘n Dine event and this one is quite special with an opportunity to enjoy your Audi in the Sierra wilderness with an overnight stay optional.

They have a trip arranged on Friday, September 7th to drive to Clio, CA (also known as Portola) and have a wonderful dinner in the Frank Lloyd Wright designed “Wigwam Room” at the Nakoma Resort. You'll have dinner at 7 pm which should give everyone enough time to get there. The Audi caravan will depart at 3 pm from Audi Reno Tahoe. That route will be a scenic drive that will get us there within a couple of hours (maybe a stop or two for a photo op). If you can’t make the drive with the group (let larry.morris@audiclubsierra.org know, please), make sure you arrive in time for the 7 pm dinner. The most direct route is an hour from Audi Reno Tahoe or 45 minutes from Truckee.

For those who can stay for the overnight, the club has arranged for specialty Nakoma Lodge room rates for our group for $200 (regular $350). You must book your room by phone only before August 23rd by calling 530-897-2300 or 877-462-5662 and telling them you are part of the Audi group. There are 5 King Golf and 4 Queen Golf rooms blocked for us until August 23rd. If you want details on these special rooms with views, review the Nakoma website.

Nothing special is planned for Saturday, but golf, hiking or biking opportunities exist. I suggest you spend a little time at the Nakoma website https://nakomaresort.com/ if you need to convince yourself to spend the night or just to join us for the drive and dinner.

As soon as possible, they need your larry.morris@audiclubsierra.org?subj...%20%27n%20Dine to let me know you’re coming for the dinner AND if you plan on an overnight stay at the Lodge. Dinner will be in the “Wigwam Room” and they need your dinner choices also no later than August 23rd for either a house or wedge salad @ $10; pork medallions @ $24, salmon @ $28 or filet mignon @ $34. The “Flow Bar & Lounge” will be open for beverages. Dinners will be billed per person or couple.

Sent for Audi Club NA - Golden Gate Chapter to Ted G

Last edited by tberg; 08-22-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

If we can all get our cars to redline at the same time, we might tear a hole in the space time continuum and come out the other side of the tunnel in the future.

True, it might not happen, but I think there is a non-zero chance that it would. Either that or we all come out the other side stone deaf.
I rode through the tunnel in Monaco as part of a group of 14 MV Agustas. Two had gutted mufflers. Not surprisingly, those two were owned by miscreants (the rest of us were too busy polishing our halos to test our rev limiters). We exited in the future, but we only traveled forward in time at the speed of regular time. We did get an admonishment from the local constabulary though, that we should "Be quiet as you are leaving Monaco." The quiet was strongly suggested, the leaving strongly implied.

Uncle Fishbits (08-29-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning, I am finally getting my Pantera back home. I have heard the engine run, and I would suggest that it's even louder and more gutteral sounding than any of the F-types. So, if I end up bringing it, I'd love to join the procession through the tunnel and get the walls "a-shakin'."

Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
ALTERNATIVE, assuming we can get a single night stay in SF:

11/1
Thursday night: Meet in Santa Cruz

11/2
Friday: Mountain Roads through the Santa Cruz Mountains to the Presidio.
Friday night: Presidio

11/3
Saturday - Drive up to St. Helena the long, twisty and scenic way including the Golden Gate Bridge, the Rainbow Tunnel and a good chunk of the coast. Lunch somewhere on the coast,. Dinner somewhere nice in St. Helena like the Culinary Institute of America.

Saturday night: St. Helena

11/4
Sunday - Something in the morning and then head home. I have a few connections at some nice wineries that are interesting for non-wine drinkers, too.
I like this idea as we will get to explore the area between Santa Cruz and SF as a group so long as its not too far south for the Portland folks. We can lean on people who know the area for suggested routes up to the city.

Quick Reply: NorCal F-Type event