F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which OBD scanner is best suited for our cars?

Old 01-24-2019, 05:59 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Which OBD scanner is best suited for our cars?

Just started researching online...

Never bought one, and wanted to know what the Pro's and cons are with the devices from real world experiece with F-Types.

Guess it would be good to have the ability to clear faults, and I'd like to get something that's pretty advanced i.e I can get in and see everything.

Can I get a scanner that as well as doing the above, also has the ability to bluetooth to my phone to give real time data?

Possibly a tool that's as versatile as this Autec, but uses Android as the interface:

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/page...ent_item_64277

TIA

Last edited by Tel; 01-24-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

Subscribed.

Don't know what is available to you in the UK. But, like all electronic purchases, the more you spend, the longer it will last before it is outdated. With the Jaguars, I read that the factory SDD diagnostic system can read fault codes to a better, more precise 'level' than many generic readers.

The Torque app coupled with an ELM OBDII dongle can give you real time information.

Of course, hooking up the bluetooth dongle means we have the danger of the battery drain as a result of hookups to the OBD plug. I'm NOT looking forward to our state's emissions check in August, where they connect their reader to verify that the OBD system is working properly.

EDIT: There are additional topics in other forum subsections, like this one, from the Related Topics section at the bottom of the page:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-cars-194861/

Old 01-24-2019, 07:32 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Unfortunately, there are a lot of reports that accessing the ODB2 often disables the car upon the following drive or two. It did to me. It lead to the dealer being very confused and doing a bunch of unnecessary software loads that became a long and painful story.

So, not recommended for the Jag.
​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by JIMLIGHTA:
Burt Gummer (02-07-2019), Nahla Artemis-Delphis (02-17-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,294 Posts

I have an iCarsoft i930 and use it regularly on the F-Type to check and clear codes, about once every two weeks.
It's fairly detailed but doesn't go to quite the same depth as an Autec, it's easy to use, doesn't cost a bomb (around $100 US) and it has never caused any OBD2 port or battery problems.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (02-19-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Received 350 Likes on 235 Posts

I have an Innova Carscan (PN 31003). It works well and doesn't seem to cause any OBD II related battery drain problems.

Innova Pro - Products - 31003 - CarScan® Diagnostic Tool - Diagnostics Made Easy

Don1954 (02-19-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So just plugging and unplugging a bluetooth OBDII reader will cause the battery to drain?

Old 01-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Received 350 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by vonhaaas27
So just plugging and unplugging a bluetooth OBDII reader will cause the battery to drain?
It doesn't happen with all cars. But many forum members report battery drain problems after the OBD 2 port is accessed because the car doesn't go to sleep (even after the accessing device has been disconnected) and drains the battery. Fortunately my car never had this issue (knock on wood).

I found an article awhile back that said this happens because some devices don't follow the proper handshake routine with the car (or vice versa) and it causes the ECU to stay awake which in turn causes the battery to drain. I can't find the article right now but if I do I will post a link.

The following 2 users liked this post by RGPV6S:
Carbuff2 (01-24-2019), Don1954 (02-19-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 PM
Tel

Thanks so far with all the replies...I'm busy beavering away researching....I thought about the Scantools Wifi reader used with Torque Pro app, but not sure if you have the flexibility to clear codes and faults?

Can you not tell the OBD port to disconnect from the device and stop the handshaking, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Old 01-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Thanks so far with all the replies...I'm busy beavering away researching....I thought about the Scantools Wifi reader used with Torque Pro app, but not sure if you have the flexibility to clear codes and faults?

Can you not tell the OBD port to disconnect from the device and stop the handshaking, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
This one claims to auto sleep which would in theory solve the battery drain issue and it will allow you to clear routine (non Jaguar specific) engine codes using an app like Torque Pro:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGB4QL7/?coliid=IUYV9JURF6DKJ&colid=3RO55TF6HZMIV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGB4QL7/?coliid=IUYV9JURF6DKJ&colid=3RO55TF6HZMIV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Other than that, to kill power, know that the OBD port has a power feed pin. You could install an extender and a on/off switch on the power wire, but personally, I'd go with the auto shut off.
https://www.amazon.com/MasTrack-OBD-II-Extension-Compatible-Tracker-x/dp/B01N0VE0JW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1548522457&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=obd+port+extender&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/MasTrack-OBD-II-Extension-Compatible-Tracker-x/dp/B01N0VE0JW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1548522457&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=obd+port+extender&psc=1

Then there is always this which is hard wired (not bluetooth) and shuts off with the car so no battery drain. It lets you clear codes (again, only generic engine codes). It's ugly but small and you could use the alarms to warn you of coolant temp limits or voltage drops. Someone over on the X150 forum uses it. He velcroed it to the under scuttle of the dash.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Sean W; 01-26-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Tel (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Tel

I'll get on and do some more researching based on the above...thansk for explaining the Auto Off part, seems daft that this tech does not have the intelligence to leave the car in a semi running state?!

Old 01-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking at the iCarsoft LR V2.0 for my 2010 XK. So far i've heard good things!
What i haven't been able to find out is if it is able to read all Jaguar codes such as the "C" fault codes that Jaguar's suspension use.

Does anyone know if it can?

Old 01-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R-chitect
I've been looking at the iCarsoft LR V2.0 for my 2010 XK. So far i've heard good things!
What i haven't been able to find out is if it is able to read all Jaguar codes such as the "C" fault codes that Jaguar's suspension use.

Does anyone know if it can?
handhelds like this will read the first 5 digits of Jaguar specific codes. They won't read the 6th or 7th digits which are just more specific and drilled down. for the DIY or shade tree mechanic this meets most peoples needs and to answer your question, yes it will with that caveat.
Also you will not be able to program modules as you can with SDD.

iCarsoft LR V2.0 Land Rover & Jaguar MULTI - System, DPF, Battery, Engine, ABS, Airbag & Oil Service Diagnostic Tool

Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 AM
Tel

Originally Posted by Sean W
handhelds like this will read the first 5 digits of Jaguar specific codes. They won't read the 6th or 7th digits which are just more specific and drilled down. for the DIY or shade tree mechanic this meets most peoples needs and to answer your question, yes it will with that caveat.

iCarsoft LR V2.0 Land Rover & Jaguar MULTI - System, DPF, Battery, Engine, ABS, Airbag & Oil Service Diagnostic Tool

I'm liking the idea of the SDD tool as it's specific and I don't need a generic device...just a shame I'm a Mac person at the moment, but guess I could switch back to a Windows machine or get the Windows shell for Mac OS.

Which SDD do you recommend?, there's a whole host from 10 bucks to 5000! Mongoose I think are something to do with the development of IDD and SDD?

Last edited by Tel; 01-28-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Mac guy here as well. I run SDD on an old Dell laptop with windows 7 32 bit. 64 bit doesn't play well with SDD, at least my version. Also, I have an 2007 XK so my version, which is 121, works fine for me. I suggest you pop out the the general tech section. There are a few reads on SDD or ask the question about software version with your make and model. You want to run windows 7 32 bit. Do not use VMware that runs windows XP. there's no reason to be that archaic.

Always use a power supply. Low noise with 13.8vdc connected. Now this isn't important when reading and clearing codes but it is critical to have power supply support when programming modules so bear that in mind. I use an Astron RM 50.

Also, always have your laptop plugged in while using this software. Don't run it on battery. It's very bloated memory sucking software. You don't want to have the battery fail in the middle of a job!

Never use or settle for hacked Chinese software. Stay away and avoid the regret. Most guys want to use software that doesn't require a TOPIX subscription. Again, the general tech section will help you with which is the latest version built that doesn't require one.

Attached is a list of approved VCM devices. You don't want VCM 2 > that's for Fords. A couple of guys on my forum recently bought the DA dongle for a project to get back up cameras installed on our XK's. Earlier models didn't have them as an option. No complaints on those that I read about. I can give you a name to PM about it if you want to reach out.
https://www.diagnostic-associates.co...thru-interface

here are some videos on SDD. You will not find any more detailed instruction I don't think. I do have manuals but please PM me if/ when you get that far and I'll set them up in my dropbox for you to download.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=jlr+sdd+131+how+to+use#id=16&vid=200458bf853b0 8b5284552ffacb71f70&action=view

Lastly, please PM me if you have questions as I'm not normally on this forum. Happy to help where I can. I'm not an expert on this. I use it when I need to and have it mostly for projects.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JAB00007UK.pdf (107.5 KB, 247 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
7500ftJagGuy (11-11-2021), DJS (01-28-2019), Tel (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W

I've always wanted a code reader but have also been hesitant. If you get the code, where do you look to find out what the code means? I know for my truck it was just google, but is there a list of codes for JLR?

Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

This is for MY14, but I would think the vast majority of the codes wouldn't change.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ek33ux7tf...guide.pdf?dl=0

The following 5 users liked this post by DJS:
RGPV6S (02-07-2019), schuss (10-21-2020), Sean W (02-07-2019), SS4PK (02-08-2019), Tel (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

My other Jag is a Land Rover LR3 and I have the GAP IID tool for that

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com

As there is a fair amount of module crossover in the JLR family I believe they may have been considering making a Jaguar specific version available but hard to gauge commercial interest and development time if no Jaguar owners would use it. In customer service terms, they are as legendary as VAP for providing help and support when users do dumb things on a weekend.

Rather than attempting to use official JLR tools unofficially it might be worth just contacting GAP to indicate your interest in their product if they were to release a Jaguar version.

Just my 2c.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SS4PK
I've always wanted a code reader but have also been hesitant. If you get the code, where do you look to find out what the code means? I know for my truck it was just google, but is there a list of codes for JLR?
Service manual should provide all codes for your vehicle along with the tests to rectify. DJS posted engine codes and you can use that. For other codes you need (or at least I need) the manual. There are none that I see free of charge for the F-Type. eBay often has them in CD format which is great. Otherwise you can download other model manual from here. All of the codes should be the same, it's just a question then of testing as all wiring is not the same. I'd pick a manual close to your vehicle's age. Well actually I'd buy a service manual

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-F-Ty...F6De:rk:3:pf:0

SS4PK (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 09:06 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

OK, here's OzXFR's service manual, compiled for his V6S. It's huge, hard to navigate, and very repetitive. But a ton of info there...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2hfjv7bas...anual.pdf?dl=0

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
britcardriver (07-16-2021), Carbuff2 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Anyone know which bluetooth scanner works well on these cars? I have always bought a small obdll bluetooth scanner I can use with my phone at all times in every car I've owned. Saw that some may cause issues, so I don't want to waste money and buy the wrong one. Just looking for a confirmation on one that works. Will the plx work? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which OBD scanner is best suited for our cars?