Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil level question

Hello,

bought an F-type almost 2 years ago and mostly been lurking on these forums since.
Since you guys seem more helpful than my Jaguar dealer I guessed this would be a good place to ask.
The car in question is a MY2016 base coupe. Up to the first service the oil indicator has always been at the top of the gauge. After the first service it was also at the top of the gauge but has been slowly dropping (first service was in October 2016). Sometime in April/may this year it started showing the oil level at half (and the green OK, see on photo down). Since then it hasn't moved and I check it almost every couple of days.
I read in the manual that this is perfectly fine and that no oil should be added. I just wanted to check what you guys think about it?
Also, I put the VAP tune two days ago and have to say it completely transformed the car (also, thank to Stuart and Chris for dealing with my questions).

Here are also two photos of the car in random locations in Croatia, because why not

Attached Thumbnails Oil level question-img_20170914_133908-1-.jpg   Oil level question-dsc_0170.jpg   Oil level question-dsc_0213.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been OCD about my oil level as of late b/c of the thread here regarding oil starvation with the V8. I've found that the oil level can dramatically change from day to day, to even a few hours after checking. I took the first pic one day and the 2nd pic is the next day. The 3rd pic is an 1.5hrs after the 2nd pic.

Attached Thumbnails Oil level question-img_5289.jpg   Oil level question-img_5292.png   Oil level question-img_5293.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by Kief:
Guy Fawkes (09-14-2017), SinF (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM

Thanks for your answer Kief!
I just went to recheck the oil level and it's still at the same level. First photo was 10 minutes after parking (after a spirited drive), checked it now, exactly an hour after the last check, and it's completely the same.
I'm guessing everything is fine, just the oil OCD (as you call it) kicking in a bit.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Normal driving - you will be fine. However, if you intend to go racing I'd top it off.

Also, as Kief mentioned level reading can be inconsistent. I try to take reading on a completely cold car in the morning while it sits on a flat ground.

The following users liked this post:
Guy Fawkes (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,649 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes
Hello,

bought an F-type almost 2 years ago and mostly been lurking on these forums since.
Since you guys seem more helpful than my Jaguar dealer I guessed this would be a good place to ask.
The car in question is a MY2016 base coupe. Up to the first service the oil indicator has always been at the top of the gauge. After the first service it was also at the top of the gauge but has been slowly dropping (first service was in October 2016). Sometime in April/may this year it started showing the oil level at half (and the green OK, see on photo down). Since then it hasn't moved and I check it almost every couple of days.
I read in the manual that this is perfectly fine and that no oil should be added. I just wanted to check what you guys think about it?
Also, I put the VAP tune two days ago and have to say it completely transformed the car (also, thank to Stuart and Chris for dealing with my questions).

Here are also two photos of the car in random locations in Croatia, because why not
Oil level between the two lines is perfectly fine for even spirited driving. As SinF suggests, top it of for the track where g-forces are more likely to expose the pick-up tube. Be careful though: you can only add about half a quart before it's overfilled.

Guy Fawkes (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 PM

Thank you all for your help! This forum really is more helpful than my dealer

Old 09-15-2017, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Are you kidding me !!!!

WTF is wrong with a dipstick to check the oil....this is freaking ridiculous!!! Dammed if you do and dammed if you dont !!! Just pisses me off!!!

Don1954 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM

No, no. A dipstick would involve opening the bonnet and that's a big no-no in today's cars. Notice how they put the washer fluid tank in the back as well soon only dealers will be able to open the bonnet...

Old 09-17-2017, 05:57 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

I replied to a thread on the forum by a former F Type owner whose engine failed, the owner quoted his mechanic who stated the failure was due to oil starvation, I didn't see what I would consider conclusive evidence of the claimed cause of engine failure.

The thread did wander as is often the case, touching on oil level monitoring (minus dipstick)

My detailed answer on electronic oil level / temperature sensor on F type
is here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...1/#post1760697

Old 09-26-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes
No, no. A dipstick would involve opening the bonnet and that's a big no-no in today's cars. Notice how they put the washer fluid tank in the back as well soon only dealers will be able to open the bonnet...

Oh but you must understand that the washer fluid reservoir was installed aft for one reason only; Weight Distribution!

If you put that reservoir forward, under the bonnet, the car would handle horribly.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Just top it off, why take any risk.