F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Anyone been to the Ferarri factory in Maranello?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
Default OT - Anyone been to the Ferarri factory in Maranello?

Hey all,
Please pardon the off topic foray, but I figured that some of you here may have gone... I'm heading to Rome and then taking the train up to Venice. Is it worth a day long detour to stop in Maranello to take the Ferarri factory tour? I looked on the website, it doesn't look like a big deal, I think only 15 euros, so how good could ~that~ be (lol)
Certainly not as good as the tours described here of the Jaguar factory (?)
(Obligatory Jaguar content )
Thanks!

Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I was supposed to go while I was in Italy 5 years ago but it started raining pretty hard so we ended up staying in the city. I'm still pretty pissed I didn't get to go but at least I was able to go in to one of the authentic Ferrari stores in the city. Don't make the same mistake as me and MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Misujerr, see below from my Colleague who just returned from the Ferrari factory (after also going to Pagani as well as Lamborghini):

The Ferrari factory tour is only actually given to registered Ferrari owners and must be organized by your local dealer.
The tour you are seeing for 15 euros is the museum entry fee in Maranello.
There are two actual museums; the Museo Ferrari in Maranello and the Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari in Modena.
I cannot speak to the Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari as that is fairly new and I have not had a chance to visit; I believe that is built around Enzo’s original workshop.
The Museo Ferrari in Maranello is near the factory and is the one that’s been there longest.

If you do not have a car, I would say going to Modena is more accessible since it’s a major city.

If you DO have a rental car, I suggest you try and make Lamborghini and/or Pagani. Both are nearby. Pagani is much smaller and gives tours of their high end workshop including access to their small museum.
Lamborghini has a museum as well. Though smaller than Ferrari’s it does offer a factory tour. There’s a good little restaurant (Ristorante Da Taiadela) nearby the factory that’s kinda the local Lambo employee lunch spot.

I highly recommend you rent a car and hit more than just Ferrari. It’s easy to drive and navigate by google maps. Also, right next door to Ferrari museum in Maranello is a rental place where you can take a quick test drive of one. Not sure it’s the greatest roads to enjoy a Ferrari, but as long as you have reasonable expectations, might be a fun additional thing to do.
Enjoy!

The following 2 users liked this post by jbajor:
JagAlb (09-26-2017), Misujerr (09-22-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My understanding is that the Ferrari factory tour is for owners only.

I've been to the Lamborghini factory a couple of times. 2 hour train from Rome, 50 minute bus ride, and a 2 block walk. Definitely worth the trip to go!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Rent a nice car and drive yourself around Italy - we put 1500 miles on it, drove up the Pordoi pass, and everywhere else. There's nothing else like it! I spent more on the car than accommodations -cough- don't tell her that.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 09-20-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I haven't been to the Ferrari factory but toured two of the three MV Agusta factories, plus their Special Parts facility in San Marino. The SP facility didn't do tours, but we had inside connections.

As a car/motorcycle guy, and as an owner, I really enjoyed it. If you're there, why not?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:36 AM

Oh man, thank you all so much! Pagani factory? Rent a Ferarri?? Dang, that sounds like fun!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I visited the Ferrari factory back in 1979! I went to collect my new 365GT 2+2, which at the time cost me around $15,000 without taxes, not bad for a V12 Ferrari. The factory at that time was quite basic but interesting, I recall they even had there own soccer team.

At the time of collection they also had a couple of unsold Dinos', asking price $4,200 less than the cost of new rims & tires!!!

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Toured Ducati in Bologna....that was fun..Also did the Beemer factory...both were ...well, nice, but nothing great. Time would have been better spent trying to pick up junge damen or bambolinas. But, then again...i was there during my mispent youth....

Old 09-21-2017, 09:56 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

NYTimes just had an article on visiting the museums in Maranello...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/t...ums-italy.html

Misujerr (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:33 AM

Thanks everyone, especially DJS!
I didn't know there were ~two~ Ferrari museums!
Oh jeee-zus! I just realized that I spelt (lol) "Ferrari" wrong...
Several times
At least I was consistent...

Old 09-22-2017, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Several times
Not to worry as this is a Jaguar forum and not a Ferrari forum. Had that been the case I suspect you might have been banned from posting. For life!

Never mind we've all made spelling and/or grammatical errors here and elsewhere.

Best regards,
RJ52

P.S. DJS is a very helpful fellow, and an all-around great guy.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-22-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

My opinion is if you are a true "petrol head" then no trip to Italy is complete without a visit to Modena and Sant' Agata.

I went to see the Museo Ferrari, well worth a visit to see a vast number of Ferrari road cars, F1 cars and engines, several hours needed to see what's there.
I went on a so called factory tour, not worth it in my opinion as your mainly see the outside of factory and test track from a tour bus!

Didn't have time to visit Enzo's home.

At Lamborghini the museum is great albeit perhaps not as extensive as Ferrari as they have been in existence for less time.
Lamborghini factory tour is worthy, you walk around the production line on a guided tour whilst cars are being built. No cameras allowed at either factory, both museums allow photography though.

Misujerr (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:55 AM

Thank you Paul_59!
And yeah, RickyJay, I "spelt" it that way on purpose (hence the lol )

Old 09-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Several times
never noticed, but now that you mention it...

Old 09-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I join to the opinion that visiting Italy without visiting Maranello and some car manufacturers close by is like not visiting it.
Italians, especially those close to these facilities screwed it up by installing so many radars and tutors on the roads and highways so watch for fines and all sorts of traps. Ugly as there should be a mode of letting nostalgia run in its veins. Bad roads, crappy pavements, narrow industrial corridors and trucks everywhere add to the fear from hungry traffic policeman.
I lived in Arceto, Scandiano very close to Maranello for almost a year and all my weekends were spent in car museums, private collections and expositions or car gatherings there. The whole region of Modena and Reggio Emilia, even if it seems so depressed offers endless interesting pit stops for car enthusiasts like us.

Is sad though when you see all those Ferrari factory workers get out of their turn and get in their Pandas and Cromas, Fiats and Lancias and head to their sober neighborhoods each time you happen to pass by their factory parking.... magicians in utilitarian cars... but when you see the new Portofino over-passing you during test drives on those roads you ignite in flames...

Misujerr (09-27-2017)