Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overly Complicated...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Overly Complicated...?

Love my F-Type R convertible.

However, just a few thoughts about Jaguar's over-engineered a simple parts that may/will break soon after the warranty ends:

- besides the convertible top that cycles 6 - 8 times/day, since mine's a daily driver, but no diff from my previous 4 verts
- door handles, why over complicates simple fixed door handles
- AC vents, again why the gimmicky up/down motion vs fix vents
- Rear wing deployment, fixed wing is fine with me, why need mechanical
- Check engine oil procedure, a simple dipstick is fine with me
- DVD/video slot, I'm in my 2 seater 99% of the time, who watches the DVD video?

My kids think these gimmicks are great, adds some distinction to the car, but I'm more worried about functionality as another thing to break after the warranty runs out ...

Last edited by NavyBlue; 01-15-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue

However, just a few thoughts about Jaguar's over-engineered a simple parts that may/will break soon after the warranty ends:

- besides the convertible top that cycles 6 - 8 times/day, since mine's a daily driver, but no diff from my previous 4 verts
- DVD/video slot, I'm in my 2 seater 99% of the time, who watches the DVD video?

My kids think these gimmicks are great, adds some distinction to the car, but I'm more worried about functionality as another thing to break after the warranty runs out ...
+1 on most of your observations but I like the door handles fairing into the body. I'm ambivalent on the spoiler issue. The rest are a typical automotive game of "Keeping Up With The Joneses" that all manufacturers have no backbone to avoid..........

Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree about the oil checking procedure.

But other parts are not complicated (read refined) enough in my opinion: wrapping a loop of string around a screw to hold up the luggage cover should not be in a car of this price range.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I like the door handles as well but if one fails It's $950 to fix and replace off of warranty. My extended warranty,Red Shield, said it is a wear and tear item. I had a relay fail and a cable malfunction. Dealer got me a 50% discount, not sure from where.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
My extended warranty,Red Shield, said it is a wear and tear item.
Sounds like a typical move for a 3rd party warranty company! They try to weasel out of everything.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Why doesn't someone come up with a dip stick you can place in the hole you place the drain tube in when draining with a pump. Just stick it in, check it, then hang it up in your garage for next time..

Old 01-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
Why doesn't someone come up with a dip stick you can place in the hole you place the drain tube in when draining with a pump. Just stick it in, check it, then hang it up in your garage for next time..
Sounds feasible. Why don't you try a section of braided (if that's the word) cable like an old speedometer cable covering?

Old 01-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
Has been covered in depth on the XF forum, long story short can't be done as the drain tube has too many right angle bends.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Has been covered in depth on the XF forum, long story short can't be done as the drain tube has too many right angle bends.
Sorry, I've never owned an XF, so never gone there.
Probably been talked to death at Cambridge Univ AutoNerds"R"us group too, never been there neither...

Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 PM

"Keeping Up With The Joneses" is fine, but doesn't need to over complicate things where it'll be pretty expensive to fix once the warranty runs out...

Last edited by NavyBlue; 01-16-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on the need for mechanical dip stick.

Owner's manual says to wait 10min after the engine shuts down and check oil when the engine oil is hot.
How is waiting 10 min a convenient thing?

Old 01-17-2019, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by superwuhan33
Agreed on the need for mechanical dip stick.

Owner's manual says to wait 10min after the engine shuts down and check oil when the engine oil is hot.
How is waiting 10 min a convenient thing?
Do the measurement before you start driving instead.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Do the measurement before you start driving instead.
To clear up a few misunderstandings, this is how it has worked for me from day 1 (all with the ignition on and the engine off):
Cold engine, hasn't been run for a few hours (eg left overnight) - just go straight to the oil level read out.
Engine has been run within the last 10 minutes, engine temp doesn't matter - pop the hood/bonnet, shut all doors and go to the readout.
Warm engine, last run a bit over 10 minutes ago - go to the read out.
I have tried the "hit the cruise cancel button twice" method a few times, never once worked for me!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
To clear up a few misunderstandings, this is how it has worked for me from day 1 (all with the ignition on and the engine off):
Cold engine, hasn't been run for a few hours (eg left overnight) - just go straight to the oil level read out.
Engine has been run within the last 10 minutes, engine temp doesn't matter - pop the hood/bonnet, shut all doors and go to the readout.
Warm engine, last run a bit over 10 minutes ago - go to the read out.
I have tried the "hit the cruise cancel button twice" method a few times, never once worked for me!
Thanks! Didn't know the trick about popping the hood open.
I tried measuring in the morning before going to work and I did get a reading. Just not sure if it's accurate or not. But I am not too concerned.

About the automatic door handles, I just saw a huge amount of discussions about the new 992 Porsche 911's automatic door handles. It's mostly negative similar to how we feel about F-Type door handles.
I guess we don't really have a choice. Just enjoy the cool factor while they still work

Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Jaguars are like Model T's compared to the Germans.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by superwuhan33
Thanks! Didn't know the trick about popping the hood open.
I tried measuring in the morning before going to work and I did get a reading. Just not sure if it's accurate or not. But I am not too concerned.

About the automatic door handles, I just saw a huge amount of discussions about the new 992 Porsche 911's automatic door handles. It's mostly negative similar to how we feel about F-Type door handles.
I guess we don't really have a choice. Just enjoy the cool factor while they still work
​​​​​​Tesla gets full credit for the idea of $1000 door handles that fail every two years. Manufacturers can make good money if they do nothing else.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:44 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Prange
Jaguars are like Model T's compared to the Germans.
Yeah, iconic innovative vehicles. With a soul. The worst car I've owned was a VW Golf.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Yeah, iconic innovative vehicles. With a soul. The worst car I've owned was a VW Golf.
My worst car (in terms of reliability...actually, in terms of everything) was 3 Series BMW. how many cars have seat frames (backrest) that break, requiring a muscle-spasming twist of the body?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:57 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I recently bought an Audi RS3 for my kids. Most disconnected car I ever driven. Brakes are grabby and non-liner, steering is wonky (variable by mode), and the turbo lag is way worse than my other turbos. They like that their friends like it. I rate it a 5/10. If it holds up like my other german cars, lower that to 3/10. Terrible german quality problems over the last 20 years. Awful parts quality and spotty workmanship.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-18-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue

OK,

Top? same as all 'verts......mine stays down most of the time anyhow
door handles; .....I'm ambivalent but lean towards liking them
AC vents; yeah I could do without the raising and lowering.
rear wing; I like it.
....and yes, I'd like a dipstick.

Overall the AC vent and dipstick are the only things I'd change.....but there are far more expensive things to break so I wouldn't worry too much about those particular ones.

Dave

Quick Reply: Overly Complicated...?