Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P7 Style Front Grill Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulBarrrera
Just curious, I noticed the spaces for the front parking control are imbedded in the proposed grill. Is there a way to remove them? I don't have that option (although just about every other one) and I'd be concerned about butchering a new (and somewhat fragile) grill. My understanding is that the front parking system was not a particularly popular option. Asking for a friend.........
I've seen a lot of F-Types. The vast majority of them have the front sensors.

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
scm (03-22-2023), skizot (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 04:13 PM
Received 376 Likes on 173 Posts

Anyone looking for a good replacement 85-86mm (3.38in) front emblem options, this seller has them pretty cheap and in different color options. I purchased the chrome with black insert to eventually replace my red insert version and the quality appears to be OEM or OEM like. Very happy considering Jaguar wants $100 for it.

Amazon.com: ARKOSKNIGHT Emblem Compatible with Jagvar XE XF XJ F-Type F-PACE Front Center Grille Emblem 3.38inch Car Badge Emblem Leopard Jagvar Accessories(Front Emblem Black-Chrome) : Automotive Amazon.com: ARKOSKNIGHT Emblem Compatible with Jagvar XE XF XJ F-Type F-PACE Front Center Grille Emblem 3.38inch Car Badge Emblem Leopard Jagvar Accessories(Front Emblem Black-Chrome) : Automotive

Old 03-24-2023, 02:11 PM

So I have an update for everyone. The grill arrived today, here are my impressions, thoughts, concerns, next steps and feedback requested:

- Grill looks to be the same 3D printed version that VR most likely sourced and rebranded as their own, with some modifications done.

- CAD design seems to have been corrected to fix the lower portion of the grill that had a slight bend to it

- Sensor hole locations are close, but not exact to where the factory locations are. I would assume to ensure they did not get false positives from the upper portion of the grill.

- Logo location is lower than OEM, I actually prefer the location on this grill versus OEM, but you cannot put it there because of the cross bar.

- You would NOT be able to use the OEM front tow hook with this installed, the grill mesh is in the way. You might be able to bend it into position, but was not willing to test that theory

- Now the two biggest issues I see, first the paintwork is much improved, but still room for improvement. From about 3-4 feet away it looks great, but up close, there are a lot of imperfections, texture and in this sample's case, fingerprints and small nick in the paint. I almost wonder if a non-painted version would be better to allow local buyers to paint at their preferred body shop, who could properly prep and paint the grill. I think a gel coat is needed, along with wet sanded primer before the base color and clear goes on. I do however wonder if we wet sanded and painted this grill, what the outcome would be.

- The second biggest issue I see is that the design still does not take into account the upper or lower locking tabs that the OEM grill uses. While that is not a deal breaker, it would require a small amount of RTV gasket maker to be used on the top and bottom to secure it in place, in addition to the screw mounting points. You would have to consider if you'd want to do that or not.

Where does that leave things, well here are the options as I see them:

Option 1.) Take it to a local paint shop and have them correct the issues with the paintwork
Option 2.) Sent it back for a refund (currently submitted my feedback and waiting on their response)
Option 3.) Request a non-painted version in exchange for this one and prep/paint locally. (see if possible for them to amend the design with locking tabs in place)
Option 4.) Sell to someone else on Jaguar Forums who sees the photos below and wants to take this on, while I wait on a response from the seller. The price would be $675 shipped, as they further discounted this first unit for me to test/provide feedback on.

Here are the pictures, I will let you decide what you would do/want to see happen/other thoughts?

Old 03-24-2023, 02:28 PM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Definitely looks 3D printed and painted. A non-painted version would allow the individual to post-process it and get those patterns away a bit more with the added benefit of color choice on paint.

Sure its no P7 but if they can fix the tabs its better than a stick in the eye.

If they fix tabs AND tow hook and leave it unpainted then I'm game!

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-24-2023, 03:17 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Do they offer it unpainted? Price difference?

Old 03-24-2023, 03:39 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

$675 is a lot of money for ... that.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:44 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

It would look better after six beers

skizot (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SS4PK
It would look better after six beers
Ha! Truth. If you stand back about 5 feet, it looks fine, but I know it looks like crap up close, so its a no for me right now.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:54 PM
Received 123 Likes on 103 Posts

I’m interested to hear their reply. I’m willing to wait until you’re happy enough to put it on your car.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:39 AM
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
Ha! Truth. If you stand back about 5 feet, it looks fine, but I know it looks like crap up close, so its a no for me right now.
We would say that in the 80's when we were looking at muscle cars from the 60's and 70's-she looks great from 10 feet.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:50 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I did my factory P-7 surround with a rattle can it looks about 100 times better than that. I scrapped the factory surround and went with a carbon fiber one - it required quite a bit of fabrication, but looks fantastic While putting mine together, and test fitting the factory surround, it is clear that the tabs are very helpful for fitment and alignment. I would not want to use RTV or anything else. I agree that the price is very high relative to the quality.

skizot (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 10:10 AM

Here is the latest update from the vendor. They are going to send a revised version. I am waiting now for next steps. They claim it will address the concerns I have. There is some communication translation issues going on, but I sent pictures of an actual P7 grill and all my feedback about the paint work, tow hook, sensor locations, etc. Waiting on their response. I will provide another update here once I hear back.

The following 2 users liked this post by skizot:
M3 Wrath (03-25-2023), Nodnarb (03-27-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 05:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

After the debacle and scam that was VR, I'm just extra skeptical anytime I see p7 grills. Interested and happy to that this time money is in escrow before delivery. Though more curious what the revised version would be as im interested in fitment if they do revise with the locking up and lower tabs.

When would be the closing date for the group buy? Just being extra cautious since losing money to VR.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by OneTinyFatGuy
After the debacle and scam that was VR, I'm just extra skeptical anytime I see p7 grills. Interested and happy to that this time money is in escrow before delivery. Though more curious what the revised version would be as im interested in fitment if they do revise with the locking up and lower tabs.

When would be the closing date for the group buy? Just being extra cautious since losing money to VR.
No close date until I can verify this would be better. Right now having had a VR grill in hand. Better but not by much. Basically same design with better finish yet still not great. I think the ideal solution would be a non painted version that you could find a local shop to paint and finish it at your own paint and body shop.

stay tuned. I’ll update this thread as we go.

OneTinyFatGuy (03-29-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 07:18 AM

Well, this pursuit has quickly come to an end. First, there may still be an option. @mcphill and I were able to locate an original P7 grill and he has graciously purchased it for his own vehicle, however planning to do a 3D scan of the design and see what he perhaps can do to create his own CAD file to build out a new replica grill option locally.

HOWEVER, as far as the grill from China is concerned, I am done with pursuing this further. Here is what I have learned.

The grill that VR originally (and currently) offers is this exact grill. It was never made by them, although I do believe they may have had some input to corrections made to the original 3D design or it was made for them and then the company kept the IP to create their own knock offs.

The grill has the following minor issues and one major one. The minor ones (IMO) are the sensors' location are different than OEM, you cannot use the tow hook (the mesh design blocks it) and it is missing the locking tabs to hold the upper and lower portions of the grill in place, so a little bit of RTV gasket maker would be needed to secure it flush, even with the screws installed. The tow hook is a concern, but I would not plan to need the car towed often, or could pull from the rear if needed. The sensor locations are probably fine as they are close to OEM and if you had an SVR, the location of the front sensors on the side are not in the same place either and they are often finky anyway.

The one major flaw is the finish. As this is an ABS plastic, 3D printed part, if you just slap some paint on it, you can see the texture of the ABS plastic mold and most of the imperfections. It is not like they are sanding down the mold prior to paint or wet sanding/buffing after it is finished. So you are left with a less than desirable finish on the outside of the grill. This was the major concern on the original VR one too, if you go back through that thread I posted earlier. Same grill.

In speaking with them to potentially correct the issues with the missing tabs (send pictures, diagrams, etc) as well as a small modification to allow for the tow hook to be installed, I was met with resistance as they have already sold "hundreds" of these in the UK without any complaints (hard to believe). They have no interest in modifying the current design, except for perhaps reworking the paint issue, but even then, they are quoting 30 days between the manufacture of the grill, shipping, etc. I am not sure, even if I waited this timeframe, it would be worth it. I would rather keep the bar and have it look OEM, versus a grill that looked like my 3rd grader painted it with a rattle can.

SO, where does that leave things. I will let you decide. I am currently in the process of returning this one sample that was sent to me and/or disputing with my CC company if needed and requested a refund. Sounds to me, they have enough people (including a few resellers) willing to purchase and accept this grill in its current fit and finish, they are not interested in getting it right for the masses. This may still be your only option to have a P7 style grill however, seeing as Jaguar has not had inventory of these for quite some time and the special requirements required to purchase one. Or purchasing one without paint and having it prepped and painted locally.

I am signing off on this adventure (again) and probably the last time to be honest. Maybe @mcphill will surprise us all with his own 3D designed version of an original P7 grill, time will tell.

Sorry as I thought we may have finally found a solution or ability to work directly with the manufacturer to do this right. Oh well.

Robtrt8 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Obviously, those of us that authorized a future Venmo charge will not be charged. Correct?

Old 03-27-2023, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Slochap
Obviously, those of us that authorized a future Venmo charge will not be charged. Correct?
I’m not sure I follow? Anyone who sent me their Venmo info never was sent a payment request. There was no money transacted so you are all set.

Nodnarb (03-27-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 08:45 AM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Skizot, Thank you for your effort and the risks you took to find a P7 alternative for us. Hopefully Mcphill can find a quality source. It might be easier to create a carbon fiber plug for a mold that can be properly replicated instead of plastic printing. I have a very close friend who manufactures over 600 different Corvette parts in carbon fiber or fiberglass. He is comsidered one of the best in the industry, but he wont touch a Jag part; just Vettes.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by PaulBarrrera
Skizot, Thank you for your effort and the risks you took to find a P7 alternative for us. Hopefully Mcphill can find a quality source. It might be easier to create a carbon fiber plug for a mold that can be properly replicated instead of plastic printing. I have a very close friend who manufactures over 600 different Corvette parts in carbon fiber or fiberglass. He is comsidered one of the best in the industry, but he wont touch a Jag part; just Vettes.
The reality is, there is already a surround that is available. You can source it from overseas for under $200. So when you consider the mesh piece is the main concern, having that replicated would really be all that is needed.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
The reality is, there is already a surround that is available. You can source it from overseas for under $200. So when you consider the mesh piece is the main concern, having that replicated would really be all that is needed.
Maybe this is a bad idea, but is there a way the carbon fiber surround could be incorporated into/used with this grill?

Quick Reply: P7 Style Front Grill Group Buy