F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint correction and coatings

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paint correction and coatings

Just finished full body paint correction and polishing, followed by coating with CQuartz Finest on all paint wheels, calipers, exhaust tips, then coating all glass and mirrors with FlyBy FORTE.

The shine and depth of the Salsa red is pretty amazing. The detailer who applied it was able to remove 90% of my fine scratches and swirls. I'm really hoping this will help keep the car looking great and reduce the time it takes to wash. My goal is to actually migrate to an all touchless wash methodology and see if it works well enough with these coatings.

1. Pressure wash.
2. Pressure rinse.
3. Leaf Blower to blow the water cleanly off these hydrophobic coatings.

I'm not sure if the touchless-only thing is actually realistic, but time will tell. A friend of mine just had his F-Type done with the same coatings and then had tree-sap fall on his paint a few days later. The next day the sap was gone. It just...blew off.

Has anyone here coated their F-Type with anything? Curious how other people are doing washing with coated cars.

Pics

:

Old 10-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Looks great!

Many of us have Xpel Ultimate on at least the front half (if not all) of the vehicle. CQuartz might be great for rinsing off the dirt and protecting from bird droppings, but it won't help with rock chips...

https://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_u...ction_film.asp

Old 10-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Xpel paid for itself in the first month. Two road hazards the could have ruined the look of my front end were nullified by the sacraficial film. Worth every penny

Orkney

Old 10-08-2015, 12:41 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

lovely car and color. now get some sleep at night and protect the car with xpel or 3m.

trust me...it will keep you sane.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Looks very good!

I have done the same thing with my F-type (and also with my previous Touareg), and you can see/read some more about that here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...echniq-150408/

The product used was:

Gtechniq Crystal Serum (the main coating)
Gtechniq EXOv2 *2 layers (extra top layers on the main coating)
Carbon Collective Platinum Glass *2 layers
Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels on calipers
Slickrims on alloys/Wheels

If the car is not very dirty and/or the dirt has not been on the car for long, it is easy just to clean it with a pressure washer (or even a garden hose) without the use of soap.

However if the car is very dirty and soap is needed, I hand wash the car with a Gtechniq soap. It can be done very gentle, as the dirt is very easy to remove (even insects).

When I dry it off I use a microfiber cloth.

Every 2. or 3. wash I also spray on a "quick detailer" from GTechniq. Spray on the car when it is wet after a wash, and wipe/dry off with a micro cloth. It's quick and easy and it makes the current treatment (coatings) last a lot longer.

What I have experienced (also with the Touareg) is that the coating prevent and protects the paint from wash swirls a lot better than what the original paint does. My Touareg was used year arround for two years (lots of salt and dirt during the winters), and it still looked as good as it did just after the detailing was done. One thing though - during the winter I never hand washed the car, only used spray on soap and pressure washer. Just too much dirt to take the risc of a hand wash.

That won't be a "problem" with my F-type though, as it will be tucked away in a garage during winter time

Old 10-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I gave mine it's first treatment. After wash and decontamination (clay bar) I coated it with Menzerna Powerlock. I used Pinnacle Black Label Diamond glass coating on the glass (there's quite a bit, with that roof) and have yet to do the wheels. My plan for them is Pinnacle Black Label Diamond wheel coating.

This is my first experience with the Black Label products: I just picked up the pair from Autogeek. The Powerlock is left over from the C30. I like the results, and a little goes a long way.

Oh, and I put some Wolfgang's plastic sealer on the headlights. I don't know how much that helps. The C30 got the same, but it's not really old enough to show clouding on the headlight lenses yet.

The following users liked this post:
PinnacleWax (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm a fan of Gtechnic - Used the Exo V2 on my now parted V8S IRR Vert, not overly impressed, but I put that mainly down to faults in the application.

I had our recent '16 R Vert fully custom wrapped in xpel Ultimate (as I intend to keep it long term). So easy to maintain....Lemon Pledge and a Microfibre, no swirls, no paint dings from rocks etc.
Covered the Blade wheels in Gtechnic C5 Alloy wheel armour...seems OK.

Won best F-Type at a recent 'Show n Shine' event, and there was a choice of 8 F's there!

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for the cquartz / flyby forte.

Here's a couple of mine. We will get some better ones when I have time to break out my 50mm / DSLR. I also gotta find a good place to take them.

It was raining so he couldn't pull the car outside and take pictures but luckily he had quite a bit of light in his garage so they came out ok.

Really happy with the coatings so far. I'll never wax / clay a car ever again. I think the red has me beat though. It's incredible what this coating does for depth and gloss. Paint feels like glass.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

I understand that for the ultimate in shine, and paint protection there are two options:
1. Leave it in the garage under a dust sheet;
2. Use Snake Oil on it.

The latter will impart a harder wearing, more lustrous shine to the factory paint than any other product on the market, and is applied by a crack team of highly trained* Beavers**.

*Using cruelty free techniques.

**Whose coats and tails are specially prepared using Snake Oli Shampoo and Conditioner, and Snake Oil Tail Moisturiser respectively.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expel Utlimate and Opti-coat

I had a two-stage paint correction done to the entire car, followed by the installation of Xpel Utlimate on the entire front end (hood, fenders, nose and front splitter). I also had Xpel installed on the mirrors, rocker panels and side fins, and fuel cap (since it gets touched often). Following the filming, I had Opti-coat installed on the entire car, including wheels and calipers.

The car looked great before but it looks amazing now. The paint is so much deeper and richer. The film is invisible and maintaining the finish has been a breeze. Now not only do I get compliments on the car, I'm getting more compliments on the finish as well.

All of the work was done by LUSTR Auto Detailing in Schaumburg, IL. Ivan and Roman are craftsmen. They're amazingly skilled, fantastic to work with, and quick to share great advice. I'd you're in the Chicago area, you have to check these guys out.

The attached photos show the fine scratches prior to paint conditioning and the car after all of the work was finished.

Attached Thumbnails Paint correction and coatings-image.jpeg   Paint correction and coatings-image.jpg