F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panoramic glass roof replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Panoramic glass roof replacement

Has anyone had their glass roof panel damaged, replaced or repaired? Any advice appreciated.Panoramic glass roof replacement-glass-damage.jpg

Old 04-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by terp
Has anyone had their glass roof panel damaged, replaced or repaired? Any advice appreciated.Attachment 213333
Wow. How did that happen?

Old 04-20-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone had their glass roof panel damaged, replaced or repaired? Any advice appreciated.Attachment 213333
Yikes! Unlucky rock damage I assume. I had one hit my roof before too, but not bad enough to crack it.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Wow. How did that happen?
Passing a truck on the interstate. My guess is that he picked up a stone at just the right (wrong) time. Thought it was the windshield at first. Maybe it would have been better.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Top glass isn't structural, so it's no more or less an ordeal than the windshield. I know mine was removed and replaced for other work, but don't know the labor charge or parts price.

EDIT: Depending on your insurance, it might be covered under the glass policy. For me, glass is lower deductible.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Top glass isn't structural, so it's no more or less an ordeal than the windshield. I know mine was removed and replaced for other work, but don't know the labor charge or parts price.

EDIT: Depending on your insurance, it might be covered under the glass policy. For me, glass is lower deductible.
Thanks lizzardo . So far the insurance has quoted $2,475 for the glass and between 5 and 8 hours labor. Do you know if they had to remove your headliner etc.?

Old 04-20-2018, 05:55 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Get the Carbon Fiber one, issue solved

Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

The shop was replacing a rear fender, which goes all the way to the A-pillar. I don't know the details, but expect that a whole lot more than the headliner was removed, and that this isn't useful information for your case.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Default Follow up

New glass installed, here is what I learned. There is not much info out there since this is a rare car with a rare problem. The manual (which I purchased from easymanuals.co.uk) says that the headliner must be removed. This includes A & C pillar trim, rear view mirror, visors, and a quarter window (to allow the headliner to be removed). Just as a note; the sun shade is bolted directly to the glass panel so you can't get access to the urethane sealant bond from the inside. The insurance company specified a "qualified" glass shop in my area and they were allowed 10 hrs. flat rate for the job. As expected, they had never done one on an F type and given the amount of work I wasn't too keen on having the car gutted, especially since there are multiple notes in the manual to take extra care not to break this or that bit.
The internet came to the rescue. Innovative Auto glass had posted a picture (/www.facebook.com/innovativeautoglassmass/photos/a.211657825712093.1073741828.205586639652545/364380357106505/?type=3&theater) with the glass panel out but the headliner still intact. My glass shop contacted them and they kindly explained how they did it from the outside without all the drama. The job took my guy 8 hrs., but it was his first. I hope this helps you all. The panel looks just as it did from the showroom.

The following 5 users liked this post by terp:
DJS (05-18-2018), Llama (08-06-2019), Paul champagne (08-05-2019), SS4PK (08-19-2019), VR46 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Thank you.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panoramic glass roof replacement ok after a year?

New glass installed, here is what I learned. There is not much info out there since this is a rare car with a rare problem. The manual (which I purchased from easymanuals.co.uk) says that the headliner must be removed. This includes A & C pillar trim, rear view mirror, visors, and a quarter window (to allow the headliner to be removed). Just as a note; the sun shade is bolted directly to the glass panel so you can't get access to the urethane sealant bond from the inside. The insurance company specified a "qualified" glass shop in my area and they were allowed 10 hrs. flat rate for the job. As expected, they had never done one on an F type and given the amount of work I wasn't too keen on having the car gutted, especially since there are multiple notes in the manual to take extra care not to break this or that bit.
The internet came to the rescue. Innovative Auto glass had posted a picture (/www.facebook.com/innovativeautoglassmass/photos/a.211657825712093.1073741828.205586639652545/364380357106505/?type=3&theater) with the glass panel out but the headliner still intact. My glass shop contacted them and they kindly explained how they did it from the outside without all the drama. The job took my guy 8 hrs., but it was his first. I hope this helps you all. The panel looks just as it did from the showroom.

Terp,
After a year or so, have there been any issues with your glass replacement? I caught a rock last week and am researching replacement options.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo

I know this is an old thread that has resurfaced, but saw this post and wanted to address it.
It is my solid understanding that Jaguar considers the Roof Glass to indeed be a Structural element of the car's overall design. A significant portion of the rigidity in the all aluminum body relies on the "sheer value" provided by the Roof Glass. I learned this because I had the unfortunate need to resource a Jaguar Factory Certified Structural Aluminum repair facility to replace a rear quarter panel, which required the removal and resetting of the Roof Glass. The repair shop and my insurance carrier fought for two months over the repair rate for this specific item among numerous others. Repair rate specified by the Jaguar Certified shops repair manual was for "Structural Glass" at something approaching $150/hr, while the estimating software used by the carrier - which we later determined was full or errors and omissions - provided for normal glass replacement at something approaching $60/hr.

The shop produced an advisory supplied by Jaguar, which they shared with the insurance carrier, who still didn't seem to care all too much what the manufacture of the vehicle had to say about the structural integrity of the roof glass. I have a copy of that advisory somewhere in my files.

I know some might think that since the F-Type was designed around the engineering of the convertible first, that the coupe might naturally have even more structural integrity such that the Roof Glass would have little impact, I can only attest to what I saw and read at the time. And I would trust the professional folks at this top-tier repair facility long before I would the penny pinching insurance adjusters.

While you may never have a problem embedding the roof glass using traditional glass methodology and adhesives, there may well be some extreme situations where a higher standard of repair technique would have been advisable and warranted.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

"Shear" not "sheer" but otherwise it all makes sense.

My roof too had to come off for a fender replacement. Since it's glued in I can see it classified as "structural" but expect given that, the windshield would be too. I also had to have that replaced (separate incident). I had a specialty repair shop (Saab) when the first bonded windshields came out and I remember a service bulletin that warned against putting the car on front jackstands with the windshield removed. They probably had glass replaced while the car was so supported and had the glass crack when it was back on its wheels, or perhaps the first bump.

Anyway, I didn't bother to look at either invoice too closely because the former was on someone else's insurance and not my problem (as long as I was satisfied) and the latter fell into the reduced deductible for glass. I know I pay more for insurance from a "big name" carrier" but get good support when I have issues. In my repair shop days I had a disagreement with an independent adjuster that wanted to nickle-and-dime me to death over everything. Since then I've had an aversion to carriers that don't have their own adjusters.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Thanks for asking tman322. I have had no problems with the roof panel. No one could tell the panel was replaced.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:35 PM

Thanks for asking tman322. I have had no problems with the roof panel. No one could tell the panel was replaced.
Thanks to all of you for your input. I will be at the dealership Monday to learn about the plan. So far my insurance company, USAA has been silent, waiting for an estimate from Jaguar. I'll post results here.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:35 PM
Default USAA What Did They Do?

Originally Posted by tman322
Thanks to all of you for your input. I will be at the dealership Monday to learn about the plan. So far my insurance company, USAA has been silent, waiting for an estimate from Jaguar. I'll post results here.
I am in the same boat with you now. I'm having to probably replace my panoramic sunroof due to a rock thrown from a semi-truck. I too have USAA insurance. What did they do or not do for you?