Sponsored by:

Pirelli tyres

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
The sunken-in tire look SUCKS.
What sucks is the looks of DDD-breast inplants, botox in your body and spray-tanning. People pay EXTRA for that..

For me the spacers shout : ".. my car is not wide enough for my ego to fit.." , and can be spaced in seemless in the row above.
Would not surprise me at all if you google "spacers" you get adds for breast inplants, botox and spry tan..

Its a typical 'boy-racer' thing ; get a cheap car and tart it up. Better spend double that money and get a wider car directly.
If you want the Ferrari looks, why not get one ?

Classic cars are worth most when left untouched instead of having been messed with.

Look at the old E-Types ; worth millions and you could easily fit an extra tire next to the original one and stay inside the wheel arches...

Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Spacers are reversible and leave no damage at all -- often OEM wheels have less offset than intended by the design team so that snow chains can be fitted without destroying the bodywork.

I personally have no issue with adding spacers so the wheels are flush as they generally are when launched at shows. Better than spacers is buying wheels with the correct offset but that isn't an option for everyone.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by addict
Spacers are reversible and leave no damage at all -- often OEM wheels have less offset than intended by the design team so that snow chains can be fitted without destroying the bodywork.

I personally have no issue with adding spacers so the wheels are flush as they generally are when launched at shows. Better than spacers is buying wheels with the correct offset but that isn't an option for everyone.
I don't agree with 'no damage' . Looking at the loading of all joints you introduce a leverage what's not intended. A special set of alloy wheels in which the fixing plane stays within the location of the original set, does no harm indeed.
In the Netherlands [whole EU] spacers mean the track width does not comply with the approved and tested vehicle. In theory you need to get a new type approval. Also if an ax stub breaks off, even if it would have without the
spacers, insurance does not cover ANY damage at all, like were not insured !

The snow chain thing sounds reasonable , but for winter tyres you would opt for less width anyway on different wheels. So engineering does not have to take this into account.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I'm pro-spacers as I dont like the sunken in look. But alas they are illegal where I live and I decided not to use them. So instead of $400 for spacers I just shelled out $6600 for the Vorsteiner wheel package because my car wasnt wide enough for my ego to fit, and $6600 to massage my ego is cheap and ultimately I dont think DDD breast implants and a spray tan would be a good look for a 52 year old guy.

The following 3 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
Burt Gummer (07-18-2018), Dan_NL (07-18-2018), Mbourne (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

HAHAHA - funny - but the breasts and tan might do wonders for you here in Portland Oregon USA. I didn't know those wheels were that expensive, but still a better value imo than paying $2500 for factory wheels.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, over here it isnt bad for reasonable quality stuff, and it does include freight and tyres and ceramic coating - the wheels themselves were a bit over $4K. I could have bought used OEM 20"s for $3K but I wasnt wild on the style because they looked to be hard to keep clean and I think as soon as I saw the Vorsteiners nothing else was going to do it for me.
I never new that Portland Oregon was such a progressive place!

Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I'm pro-spacers as I dont like the sunken in look. But alas they are illegal where I live and I decided not to use them. So instead of $400 for spacers I just shelled out $6600 for the Vorsteiner wheel package because my car wasnt wide enough for my ego to fit, and $6600 to massage my ego is cheap and ultimately I dont think DDD breast implants and a spray tan would be a good look for a 52 year old guy.
Bruce, its all a matter of taste & priorities... You spend AUD6600 on alloys [ € 4200 ), and I spend € 5000 on the pavement to complement with the grass of my front lawn..

Spray-tanning the old pavement wouldn't have done the trick as the new pavement is white... , actually its not really pavement but a co-BB-le road...

And the DD is mostly not for the man to wear, but a way to give a new perspective to their lives ..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 07-18-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
What sucks is the looks of DDD-breast inplants, botox in your body and spray-tanning. People pay EXTRA for that..

For me the spacers shout : ".. my car is not wide enough for my ego to fit.." , and can be spaced in seemless in the row above.
Would not surprise me at all if you google "spacers" you get adds for breast inplants, botox and spry tan..

Its a typical 'boy-racer' thing ; get a cheap car and tart it up. Better spend double that money and get a wider car directly.
If you want the Ferrari looks, why not get one ?

Classic cars are worth most when left untouched instead of having been messed with.

Look at the old E-Types ; worth millions and you could easily fit an extra tire next to the original one and stay inside the wheel arches...
I'll be dead and long gone by the time the F-Type turns into a valuable classic. I'll let the buyer from my final estate sale worry about returning it to original condition (all the OEM parts will be in the attic).

Burt Gummer (07-19-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had P-Zeros on several cars and they are the worst tire I've ever driven on! I changed over to Michelins every time and the performance is like night and day. I don't know how any company can sell a sports car wearing those tires. I don't care what kind of deal they have with Pirelli, it's one of the most important aspects of a cars performance and it reflects very badly on their brand to use them.

The following 3 users liked this post by AJF:
Dan_NL (07-21-2018), ElloM8 (07-23-2018), fujicoupe (07-21-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Where is that guy who said if there was one more thread about the P-ZEROs being bad he was going to lose it?

BTW - The PZEROs are bad!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Where is that guy who said if there was one more thread about the P-ZEROs being bad he was going to lose it?

BTW - The PZEROs are bad!

He lost it and left.

Burt Gummer (07-30-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Hey BrucetheQ, are the Vorsteiner's you bought forged or the flow forged?

Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

flow forged - it is style 103 Vorsteiner Custom Flow Forged Wheels & Rims

Looking at reviews on bimmerpost etc they seem to hold up well, I'll find out Monday week!

jaguny (07-26-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

When I inspected my new-to-me F Type, I noticed the worn rear tires. Got money off the sale...

So, I took the rears off to inspect the brake pads (and clean the inside of the wheels, I have OCD).

Found the cord showing through! My tire guy can get new PZeros tomorrow so that's what I'm buying. With the fronts lasting 2X the rears I'll change brands next time.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

So nobody is wearing run flat tires around here?

Old 08-31-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
So nobody is wearing run flat tires around here?
no. Run flats are heavy, have horrible handling and won't have the grip you want. I'm not aware of any of the forum members using them but there maybe one or two. I've had run flats on other cars and while it might be nice during a flat tire incident for a few miles (had it happen to me in another car) it proved to be more trouble and cost than what it's worth.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne

no. Run flats are heavy, have horrible handling and won't have the grip you want. I'm not aware of any of the forum members using them but there maybe one or two. I've had run flats on other cars and while it might be nice during a flat tire incident for a few miles (had it happen to me in another car) it proved to be more trouble and cost than what it's worth.
So what do you do on long trips then?

Old 08-31-2018, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
So what do you do on long trips then?
ive used Jaguar Roadside service and they were fantastic. Strictly my opinion only but with roadside service or AAA if you have it they come quickly and can get you to a place to do the repair quite easily. I live in PA and had an incident in Mass near NH border. Piece of metal from someone's pickup truck camper cover was impaled under my FTYPE. Couldn't get it out. Called Jag roadside. Tow truck was there in about 30-40 minutes. Nicest guy. He lifted my car, got his tools to remove the obstruction, did so and the put the car back down. Arranged for me to have the car double checked, as their was not apparent damage, at a dealer about 45 miles down the way I was headed anyway and he got me on my way and refused to even take a tip even though I finally convinced him needed to since I dragged him out on Mother's Day.

All the run flats would have done, had it been a tire issue, is gotten me a little further down the same road with little difference other than a new tire that would have cost me nearly double what my regular tires would have cost. When on my other car my run flat blew the replacement didn't last, developed a sidewall bulge and less than 10000 miles later was bald. If I want bald tires that fast I would have kept the Pirellis :-). It's why all my cars have Michelins now and my FTYPE has the P4S's. great tires.

bottom line is these days roadside is responsive enough in most areas to take the stress out of flat tire challenges. Your experience may vary but that's been mine.

DJS (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne

ive used Jaguar Roadside service and they were fantastic. Strictly my opinion only but with roadside service or AAA if you have it they come quickly and can get you to a place to do the repair quite easily. I live in PA and had an incident in Mass near NH border. Piece of metal from someone's pickup truck camper cover was impaled under my FTYPE. Couldn't get it out. Called Jag roadside. Tow truck was there in about 30-40 minutes. Nicest guy. He lifted my car, got his tools to remove the obstruction, did so and the put the car back down. Arranged for me to have the car double checked, as their was not apparent damage, at a dealer about 45 miles down the way I was headed anyway and he got me on my way and refused to even take a tip even though I finally convinced him needed to since I dragged him out on Mother's Day.

All the run flats would have done, had it been a tire issue, is gotten me a little further down the same road with little difference other than a new tire that would have cost me nearly double what my regular tires would have cost. When on my other car my run flat blew the replacement didn't last, developed a sidewall bulge and less than 10000 miles later was bald. If I want bald tires that fast I would have kept the Pirellis :-). It's why all my cars have Michelins now and my FTYPE has the P4S's. great tires.

bottom line is these days roadside is responsive enough in most areas to take the stress out of flat tire challenges. Your experience may vary but that's been mine.
I do have both services and understand where you are coming from. They are great when you are in or near a populous area. I've had a very different experience in West Texas, on my way to Vegas. I would rather not have to depend entirely on someone else for the safety of my family and/or not being stranded for hours in the middle of nowhere. But I'm sure that you are probably right for 90% of circumstances.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Perhaps one should not tempt fate.....but....what is the likelihood of a "unfixable" flat ? My last was approx 25 yrs ago with a bolt in the rt rear of a 911. Too large a hole to plug with my trusty goo/plug/ pump to fix on the road.
ive had a couple of roofing nail/screws since but a very slow leak...easy to get to a tire store or used the plug/goo/pump system in the car.
Seem to me not many great distances we can travel in NA without "help" at hand such that a run flat would be necessary.

Quick Reply: Pirelli tyres