F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli tyres

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Out of ~10 leaky, damaged tires on our family's vehicles over the last 20 years, two of them have been slashed (linear cut in the tire, not a pluggable nail hole). Those could not be fixed on the road. One time I needed to replace the tire (and ended up replacing all 4 since they were low on tread, and were causing a 'pull' to the side, anyway).

I'll be carrying a plug kit in the Jag as I do on my other car without a spare. Do you think I can get the plug kit and handles into the little inflator's pouch?
(^^^ haven't actually looked, yet.)

Old 09-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Out of ~10 leaky, damaged tires on our family's vehicles over the last 20 years, two of them have been slashed (linear cut in the tire, not a pluggable nail hole). Those could not be fixed on the road. One time I needed to replace the tire (and ended up replacing all 4 since they were low on tread, and were causing a 'pull' to the side, anyway).

I'll be carrying a plug kit in the Jag as I do on my other car without a spare. Do you think I can get the plug kit and handles into the little inflator's pouch?
(^^^ haven't actually looked, yet.)
A good "plug kit" is probably an excellent "just in case" solution in addition to the Jaguar road assistance or AAA. Also, is the air compressor that comes with the car good quality?
I do have the Jaguar tire repair kit in my car, but that is a sealant + compressor. I have little experience with either.

Last edited by Paul champagne; 09-01-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I have tested the air compressor which came with the car (it's really part of the goo inflation kit) and it seemed to work well, much better than the el cheapo *** lighter 12v plug in ones I have used before.
Like many here I also have a "plug" puncture repair kit in the car.
I have the whole lot and much more sitting in the cubby/box under the rear floor, it is surprising how much gear you can fit in that box.

The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (09-01-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 12:32 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

In 33 years of driving I had to have a tire fixed only once, so I'm fine with only the small compressor and the blurry stuff.
If I were to live or drive in a remote area, I'd probably would feel more comfortable with a spare though.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

In 39 years of driving around 39 different cars of all kind of [ european] brands and models, ranging from rusty old collapsing Renault 20 up to [ my best ever ] LR3 ...
Its not that I buy a new/other car every year, but in particular when I was young I switched when I could make a nice deal..

I had a flat tire twice : once it was on an extremely buzzy road without any sort of hard shoulder ; I distroyed the tire limping to a petrol station, about 5 km's furter.
That was the end of the wheel too.. That was in 1982 in the Netherlands... Second one was here, in the village, when a sharp edge of a curb protruded into the road,
and due to oncoming traffic I could not avoid it [ now I avoid the whole street ]. The last was repaired by the ANWB [ AA in the Netherlands]. First time ever I got anything
out of that membership for 25 yrs, so that service cost me € 2500,- ... I have some medical issues so replacing the 25Kg [ or more] wheel of the LR3 is not for me.

Further I always replace tires before they are below 2.5mm tread depth, so always relatively 'strong' tires. Maybe that is why I had few flats in 4 decades and about
a million kilometers !