F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Salesmanship

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

The dealerships have big capital invested and employ a lot of people. That said when I went to a Tesla service center, all we have in Las Vegas, the attitude and knowledge was top notch. I talked to an owner there who said he is never been told no when it came to a complaint, they usually just change out the system or even the drive train. He never has to go in for updates, the future, so they are never trying to charge him for anything. Dealers should be worried, if Tesla is scalable it will be the future, but no trades mostly no inventory (some at factory) no commissioned sales people, no area manager in for the day, etc.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Chrysler and Ford have taken money too. That doesn't make it right. Tesla is able to stay afloat because they make cars that the government approves of. Buy a Tesla and you get a tax credit. Buy a Jaguar and you don't. Most people who pay taxes can't afford a Tesla, yet they have no choice but to have their money taken for the government market manipulation. Here's a good article. Tesla and Its Subsidies | National Review Online

Old 10-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default My experience

I guess we have two ways of looking at dealing with Dealers. The last thing I need is having someone buff my shoes while I shop. I'd rather a sincere salesperson. The buyers trust comes from a real feeling of a trust worthy salesperson. Despite all info on the web, we as buyers cannot out smart a smooth talking, make me feel good sales person.
We as buyers also think Dealers make more money each deal than they actually do. Remember honesty should go both ways. These guys do not get paid till they sell and deliver a vehicle.
What does the dealer really pay for its vehicle. I do not know. As I do not know how much it costs a restauranture to bring a steak to my table. ( lights staff, taxes, etc.
Pick a few dealers hopefully by reputation, 3 quotes throw out the low give the high a second chance, go with the middle. Rich

Originally Posted by perfectson
Had a "horrible" dealer experience the other day, thought I would speak on it. Curious if others had similar treatments.

So, probably a month ago I went to a dealership , met this sales person who took me out for 1 ride in an Ftype. At that point, wasn't sure what my next car was and he's kept in touch (by sending me spam mail basically). Anyway, I don't like to judge people but I could tell he wasn't my type of guy, but at the end of the day I'm buying a car not getting drinks with the man. So after the 1st meet, which was him telling me about the car and him telling me why I should lease and not buy. I basically been checking out other options, reading this board, signing up for JCNA () and just getting ready to make a proper offer on F type.

So yesterday, I go back to visit the sales person and ask him about the base model. He has 1 in stock and it's fairly loaded , alot of options I do not need or want; however, price point was about $1500 - $2000 more than I was willing to pay. Even had a spare tire, which I asked if they could just remove (which he wouldn't).

So while trying to negotiate down about $2K, he gets up and says let me see if there's a cheaper car in the area we can get for you. I approve, as at the end of the day, the car had too many options I didn't need driving the costs up and I have a set budget.

He comes back and says they can get a car in that's in my range, but doesn't give me any particulars (not to mention he was gone for at least 10 minutes and I could have swore I heard him joking around with a colleague while I waited). So, at this point I ask him again if that was the lowest he could go on the car he showed me on the lot. He said yes. So, I told him, I was just stopping by and would check back. At this point, he lets out an audible sigh. I get up and he stays seated, looks at his desk, starts shuffling papers. I stand for probably 5 seconds, he doesn't look up, doesn't reach his arm out, doesn't say anything. So I tell him, "have a nice holiday weekend" , he says "you too" never once looking at me. And I walk out.

I immediately, go 20 minutes away and meet with a sales person who literally tells me "I don't know if the guys down the street will be here in 3, 5, 10 years - but I expect to and I would love the opportunity to earn and keep your business". The stark contrast in treatment from one dealer to another (or one sales person to another) almost made me buy a car on the spot, drive it to the other dealer, and burn circles in their parking lot.

So, all this to ask has anyone encountered less than stellar salesmanship at Jaguar dealers?

Old 10-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Hmm... This tends to prove the adage that: "to Err is Human, to really f*ck up requires Management...

HA Fox: you have some talented staff, but for whatever reason, their management does not enable them the perform. Go visit the Jaguar dealership in Coventry as a customer, then repeat the process in Cheltenham. You will not enjoy the contrast....

Old 10-31-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I can't believe you guys are complaining about car salesmen, the profession with the best reputation of all. You can't expect that the salesperson will be as classy as the car you are buying. Next it will be politicians. What is the world coming to? I was treated with great courtesy by a BMW salesperson when I only wanted to see a Z4 with a rare color. He went out of his way to find one and even called me when one was in the lot. Needless to say, months later I bought my wife an X3 from him. What goes around comes around.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My experience with the local JLR dealer is actually part of what keeps me going back to the brands. Even though I've have bought several vehicles from them I am sure I'm not even in the top 10% of their customer base -- but they make me feel like I am and that's what makes the impression. Also they *do* play the long game... I sometimes get emails from the sales people or GM about possible deals I might be interested in even though they know I am not a sure bet on a quick sale.

I guess we are lucky here (Seattle and Bellevue, WA).