F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pulley Tune

Really quick question, I知 booked to get pulley installed tomorrow at a shop about 45min out of town, is it okay to install the crank pulley tune today prior to getting the pulley installed tomorrow just so I知 already good to do a shakedown after the install?

Old 01-07-2020, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by justanurse
Really quick question, I知 booked to get pulley installed tomorrow at a shop about 45min out of town, is it okay to install the crank pulley tune today prior to getting the pulley installed tomorrow just so I知 already good to do a shakedown after the install?
Most likely OK as long as you drive it gently to the shop, no WOT.
Many of us have done it the other way around - get the pulley installed then drive home then apply the tune, and again zero problems providing you take it easy.
As this is "tried and true" I recommend you go that way, just means you need to delay your shakedown run a bit.

The following users liked this post:
justanurse (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Most likely OK as long as you drive it gently to the shop, no WOT.
Many of us have done it the other way around - get the pulley installed then drive home then apply the tune, and again zero problems providing you take it easy.
As this is "tried and true" I recommend you go that way, just means you need to delay your shakedown run a bit.
thanks!! Do you know if I can flash the tune over the stage one or so I have to flash back to oem then flash to crank pulley tune? Also heads up just waiting on the different couplers to fit that intake, the guy that made the exhaust messaged what I壇 need to adapt it.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

thanks!! Do you know if I can flash the tune over the stage one or so I have to flash back to oem then flash to crank pulley tune? Also heads up just waiting on the different couplers to fit that intake, the guy that made the exhaust messaged what I壇 need to adapt it.
You should not flash the with pulley tune over the top of the stage one tune.
VAP say you should flash back to the OEM tune first THEN flash to the crank pulley tune. The crank pulley tune is written/based on flashing over the OEM tune, not the stage one tune.
That is what I did and I had zero problems.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

To your original question, from what I've been told VAP you can flash the tune first, then the pulley. More specifically, I was told that my tune would work with the OEM pulley but had the higher limits set so it would also work when I added a pulley. It's the other way around that's problematic. The extra boost will throw codes when you wring out.

I've been running that "pulley ready" tune for 30K miles and only now have a pulley sitting in the garage waiting for installation. Working in the driveway without a lift is a bit of an impediment for this sort of thing

Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 PM

Ah alright I shall flash back to stock then the crank pulley tune because I just overplayed it on the stage one (oops) and I KNOWWW I literally bought everything I needed then realized my clearance on stands might make it more difficult than anticipated so I just decided to hit the shop tomorrow, they gave me a quote of ~500 (could be less) but we値l see

Old 01-08-2020, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You should not flash the with pulley tune over the top of the stage one tune.
VAP say you should flash back to the OEM tune first THEN flash to the crank pulley tune. The crank pulley tune is written/based on flashing over the OEM tune, not the stage one tune.
That is what I did and I had zero problems.
hey so I got it installed but by any chance when doing a pull from second gear, I feel a power cut off at around 3/3.5k rpm is this odd or how it痴 supposed to be?
edit: and then it comes back strong around 5.5k/6 so it awesome up to that 3 then it feels off then gets like a second wind up at 5k

Last edited by justanurse; 01-08-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

hey so I got it installed but by any chance when doing a pull from second gear, I feel a power cut off at around 3/3.5k rpm is this odd or how it痴 supposed to be?
edit: and then it comes back strong around 5.5k/6 so it awesome up to that 3 then it feels off then gets like a second wind up at 5k
Could ETC be cutting power due to wheelspin? Does it still do this if you switch to TracDSC?

Old 01-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Could ETC be cutting power due to wheelspin? Does it still do this if you switch to TracDSC?
I had a feeling about that cause I know I was spinning on stage one but it would never cut power like that lemme try turning trackdsc and dsc be right back

Old 01-08-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
just tried it, it痴 still doing it :/ I posted a video it痴 kinda hard to see without actually being in the seat but it kinda bounces at the 3.5k in the video

Old 01-08-2020, 01:43 PM
Received 353 Likes on 237 Posts

SC belt slipping?

Old 01-08-2020, 02:09 PM

I thought the belt slipping thing too BUT Thanks everyone for replying, I emailed the guy at VAP and he looked over stuff and saw a discrepancy with a portion of my pressure map when compared to others tuned cars so we went back and forth with test files and I believe the issue is fixed with the final version he痴 sending.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I thought the belt slipping thing too BUT Thanks everyone for replying, I emailed the guy at VAP and he looked over stuff and saw a discrepancy with a portion of my pressure map when compared to others tuned cars so we went back and forth with test files and I believe the issue is fixed with the final version he痴 sending.
That痴 the value of working with VAP. They値l stay on it until it痴 right.

The following users liked this post:
justanurse (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 08:39 PM

Absolutely +1, heads up for people looking in the future, there is a shop called European Car Clinic in Ocala FL that was willing to install the pulley for me, quoted me 500$ originally but said they were willing to work with me. The job was done in just about two hours (meaning the lady boss didn稚 have to drive back and forth the pick me up ) and only charged me 200$, professional and nice guys, would go for other stuff (seeing as my Powertrain warranty/extended Powertrain warranty is toast now).