Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question For Owners Of 4 Cylinder Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Robc2562
I figured I'd chime in here, I have a 2.0 F-Type that I've had for a few months now (picked it up late December 2019) I honestly love everything about the car, especially for it being a daily driver. It's my first Jag and the dealers seem to only have 4cyl and V8's (at least in my state) otherwise I might've gone with the V6 and I'd honestly only get it because of the sound.
But I did just put in an order for the SuperSprint exhaust that just came out for the 2.0 F-Type so we'll see if that helps give the sound a little better of a note.
Other than that, I honestly can't say enough good things about this car.
Is there a video available on this new system anyway from supersprint

Old 05-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Is there a video available on this new system anyway from supersprint
Nope, I haven't found any sound clips. I'm hoping they upload some soon, but going based on their other exhausts they sound pretty good.
There might be a delay with my order, the company told me right now it's set to come in close to September. It's coming from Italy so I was sure with everything going on there that a delay was going to happen.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Robc2562
Nope, I haven't found any sound clips. I'm hoping they upload some soon, but going based on their other exhausts they sound pretty good.
There might be a delay with my order, the company told me right now it's set to come in close to September. It's coming from Italy so I was sure with everything going on there that a delay was going to happen.
found this https://www.rallyshop.it/index.php?m...05&language=en
Would have waited to hear a video clip first before purchase , hope its worth it, did you buy the full system, Y pipe, rear box and tips, pricey, its hard to get a sound out a 4 pot, best sounding one is the mercedes amg a45, great exhaust note from standard, with modified system even better,

Last edited by powerhouse; 05-08-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah I bought the full system, it came out to about $1800 with shipping and everything, which doesn't seem too bad compared to the systems for the V6 and V8 when I was shopping around. I'm hoping it sounds close to the a45, I'd have time to change the order if any sound clips come out before it ships, or if another company makes a system.
I'm not expecting it to be like the V6, just a little bit of a sportier tone would make me happy to be honest.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (05-08-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got by 4 banger just under a year ago. I moved from a V6 Lexus, which was an old man's car really but was comfortable. This car is my favourite car I have had by some way. I had a Subaru Impreza WRX when I was young, which was a 4 banger too, but that was plenty fast enough for me, so I wasn't that bothered about getting extreme speed now I am a Dad of two. But the car is decent speed, handles well, looks just as sexy and sounds pretty good. If I'd had a 8 cyl then for sure I would imagine it would feel less, but it's half the price so what do you expect? The fact it has any advantages at all is great to me, but the fuel economy and more nimble handling are good for me as it's my daily driver. It's going to cost less to service too, so I guess the question really comes down to how much you are willing to spend and whether the extra roar and power are must haves to you.

If you want to get looks from people, it's going to do that. I got all black, with black 20" wheels too and you'd think I'd got a Ferrari the way some people stop and gawp at you. I have lots of bendy roads on my trip to work and this speed I have gives me all I need to have great fun, while not putting me at risk of losing my life or licence. The interior is the same, so you get a lot of car for the money in my opinion.

I love the car so much, that I probably will never sell it. We are a two car family, so the other one will be the one we change for driverless, electric and all the other future developments. This one will be my fun car for life as long as I look after it and it doesn't fall apart on me.

They let me have an F-Pace SVR while I was waiting for my car that got delayed. That had V8, 0-60 in 4.1 seconds and made all kinds of noises when you booted it. I know it's a different car, but while I enjoyed the noise and booting it was fun, it didn't really make me pine for any more with my car. 0-60 in 5.4 is still no slouch and unless you are someone who likes racing anything that looks up for it, I don't think you will feel like you have a slouch of a car.

Money no object = go V8
Money not a problem but want best bang for buck, I'd say higher powered V6 or possible 4 banger.
Money tight but want it bad, 4 banger will see you good.

Of course a second hand market could drag V8's into your price bracket too, but given the nature of the car, I'd be scared stiff it had the ***** thrashed out of it and they aren't cheap cars to repair.

All just my opinion. Only you know what your priorities are and what value feels like to you.

SinF (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
This one will be my fun car for life as long as I look after it and it doesn't fall apart on me.
While some things you can't help, you can make a lot of difference in your long-term cost of ownership by going above and beyond on maintenance. More frequent oil changes, more frequent coolant changes, more frequent transmission service. This will pay off big times as you reach 8 year ownership mark. Also, don't neglect treating your leather with conditioner and rubber seals with special rubber cleaner - you can extend their useful life a great deal that way.

Matt Davies (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 02:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo lag on the 4 pot is horrid. Cant do anything about it with an auto box except for wait. The best option in my opinion is v6s coupe. Fast enough in the real world. Has the adjustable suspension via dynamic mode and limited slip diff. Most practical version of an impractical car.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

We have the p300 in our XE and there is no turbo lag - it is a twin turbo with one electric turbo not relying on exhaust. There is however transmission lag in the p300 and all of the F Types I have driven (which excludes the SVR) which slows kickdown, eg when lights change and you put the foot down to squirt through, it can take (what feels like) a second to kick down the 2 or 3 gears from coasting. I actually find that worse in my v6S than I do in the p300.

Matt Davies (08-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by VinceW
Turbo lag on the 4 pot is horrid. Cant do anything about it with an auto box except for wait. The best option in my opinion is v6s coupe. Fast enough in the real world. Has the adjustable suspension via dynamic mode and limited slip diff. Most practical version of an impractical car.
when I say turbo lag it is not the true definition or turbo lag. It is that you are not at high enough revs for turbo boost to be generated. You have to wait for kickdown or the revs to build to get the
boost. It us very noticeable and could/should have been engineered out. Really noticable when trying to pull away quickly from standstill with an auto box. You have to wait for the revs to climb high enough to get on boost. It is like driving a turbo car from the 1980's, not 2020. I have a Ford Kuga 2.0 turbo with an auto box and you don't have this problem. The power feels constant even from low rpm

Old 08-25-2020, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I dont want to argue but I think you will find it is the transmission, not the engine. I am driving the XE today, there is no rev lag (or at least nothing different to the supercharged 6 or the 8), but when you jam your foot down there is a perceptible lag before it kicks into the proper gear. That is also true at launch, because Jag transmissions launch in second unless you give it a boot in which case they take a moment to kick down to first. The boost though is virtually instantaneous. I probably should caveat that by saying I always put it in dynamic mode.

The p250 however had quite a bit of turbo lag, giving it a slingshot feel when you mashed the pedal, less so in dynamic.

Matt Davies (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 01:25 AM
Received 272 Likes on 189 Posts

I think Bruce is on the money here. Turbo lag is more of a rubber band effect than a pause. There really isn't a turbo out there today that hasn't been designed to significantly reduce or eliminate what we knew about turbo lag from the '80s.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to agree with Bruce here, if you drive the car in dynamic with Sports mode engaged, the Turbo lag really isn't that noticeable. I'm sure there is a difference to a Supercharged and you are right to add that to the considerations when buying. But for someone like me who is used to Turbo, it's actually the best I have ever had for any noticeable lag. I think the low end V6 isn't actually any faster and a bit worse going around the corners with the extra weight, The high end V6 is a different kettle of fish and if that bit of extra budget is there, definitely worth considering.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
I think Bruce is on the money here. Turbo lag is more of a rubber band effect than a pause. There really isn't a turbo out there today that hasn't been designed to significantly reduce or eliminate what we knew about turbo lag from the '80s.
There are quite a few technologies that exist that reduce turbo lag that weren't around during 80s. Twin scroll turbos. Twin turbos. Antilag and two-step. Hybrid turbos with electric boosters.

In 2020 the issue of turbo lag is 100% solved on technical side.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:38 PM

I drove the 4 pot at a Jaguar experience day. Doing various circuits and handling tests. Waiting for the auto car to come on boost was really annoying and frustrating. If the budget runs to it I would get the v6s. A lot better cat in my opinion. This was about 2 years ago so maybe the engine has been updated for the 2020 model. Test drive it and see if you are happy.

Last edited by VinceW; 08-26-2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Adding text
Old 08-26-2020, 04:27 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Yeah I dont want to argue but I think you will find it is the transmission, not the engine. I am driving the XE today, there is no rev lag (or at least nothing different to the supercharged 6 or the 8), but when you jam your foot down there is a perceptible lag before it kicks into the proper gear. That is also true at launch, because Jag transmissions launch in second unless you give it a boot in which case they take a moment to kick down to first. The boost though is virtually instantaneous. I probably should caveat that by saying I always put it in dynamic mode.

The p250 however had quite a bit of turbo lag, giving it a slingshot feel when you mashed the pedal, less so in dynamic.
Bruce, are you saying the P250 and P300 have different turbo setups? I had assumed/hoped it was just a tune difference.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Gooday - no it is a different turbo setup. The igenium p250 which you might have has a single turbo, the p300 has two X twin scroll turbos with an electrohydraulic valvetrain (whatever that means). The p250 I was talking about was the ecoboost engine, I think the igenium p250 was a bit more direct though I've only driven it as a loaner. Plenty of Brits have tuned their p250's though.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:57 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Good to know, thanks. In 2018, I made a point of getting a 2018 XE over a 2017 to get the Ingenium engine. Still find it impressive that I get over 30mpg in an AWD 250hp sedan that’s fun to drive and looks good.