F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing SVO custom satin paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 01:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Repairing SVO custom satin paint?

This is going to sound crazy, but I was close to trading in my 2018 R for a 2021 R with SVO Premier Palette Blue Ultra Metallic Satin (a $7500 option from factory - no idea who would pay that, single owner who traded it in for an M4 though and now the dealer is stuck with it). It looks absolutely insane in person though, pictures just don't do it justice, I've never seen anything like it

The big issue I have right now is that the spoiler has a deep very visible scratch over the top and slightly down the back of it. Of course this can't be repaired because of the satin paint so the spoiler is going to need to be resprayed which the selling dealer won't do

I called a Jaguar dealership (an SVO one) and they just shrugged and said they only have touch-up paint (and probably not matte touch-up paint if I'm guessing) and to speak to the body shop. One body shop said they'd call back and never did. Other body shop said speak to the dealer

How likely is it I'd even be able to get a hold of this paint? And would you trust any body shop (I'm in SoCal) to reliably spray that satin and match it to the car?

The following users liked this post:
TheDrainPlug (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 01:55 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

It can certainly be matched by a competent painter. Finding a competent painter may take some work...

Old 02-21-2023, 02:28 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

In the UK Harry Metcalfe (of Harry's Garage) got a paint shop to match the green of an Aston SUV and then tweak it to take out the black bits. Also, the paint guy at Richard Hammond's Smallest Cog seems to be an expert on paint matching, so a decent paint shop should have the equipment and (hopefully) skill to get a perfect match. I can't imagine the UK is unique in this respect.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:54 PM
Received 388 Likes on 159 Posts

Try Kindig-It Design in Salt Lake City. If anybody can match the color, it's them.

The following 2 users liked this post by SassySarah:
Sparky H (02-24-2023), Tracy Rominger (03-23-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:16 PM
Received 392 Likes on 208 Posts

If you're in SoCal, I'd recommend using European Motorcar Works in Costa Mesa. When I worked for JLR North America, we would send our West Coast based press and company cars there. Family run authorized shop for Aston Martin, Acura, JLR, etc.

Auto Body Repair and Paint shop | Costa Mesa | Orange County (europeanmotorcarworks.com)

Old 02-21-2023, 03:31 PM

Thanks folks, this thread hugely boosted my confidence after disappointing calls!

And super thanks to WhiteTardis, I'm very near Costa Mesa, it's only 15 mins away. I gave European Motorcar Works a call and chatted to them for 10 mins, what a lovely bunch of people! Sounds like it's possible but it's super difficult to replicate the finish and they might even end up having to respray a couple of times if it doesn't come out perfect first time. They were full of warnings about how much of a pain matte paint is and how they wish it wasn't a thing, haha, I am fully with them as we discussed more... but we did agree it just looks so good, annoyingly. Going to send pictures and figure out an estimate

I'd also have to do a full matte PPF afterwards as well if I have any chance of stress-free ownership, which would be a huge cost as well (I don't even know how much? 5k+ easily I would guess?). The car really does look incredible but is it worth all the pain......? Hmmmm....

Old 02-21-2023, 03:38 PM
Received 205 Likes on 121 Posts

Looks like Velocity Blue Satin Matte. Any good paint shop should be able to properly paint it. I have seen F-Types with SVO Chromoflair type paints like Spectral Red repainted properly which look way harder to do than a satin matte paint. Plus it’s only spoiler right? Even better since it can be easily removed from the car for painting.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:40 PM
Received 392 Likes on 208 Posts

No problem. Let them know that Alvin with the F-TYPE sent you. I'm in Irvine.

Originally Posted by ScottT
Thanks folks, this thread hugely boosted my confidence after disappointing calls!

And super thanks to WhiteTardis, I'm very near Costa Mesa, it's only 15 mins away. I gave European Motorcar Works a call and chatted to them for 10 mins, what a lovely bunch of people! Sounds like it's possible but it's super difficult to replicate the finish and they might even end up having to respray a couple of times if it doesn't come out perfect first time. They were full of warnings about how much of a pain matte paint is and how they wish it wasn't a thing, haha, I am fully with them as we discussed more... but we did agree it just looks so good, annoyingly. Going to send pictures and figure out an estimate

I'd also have to do a full matte PPF afterwards as well if I have any chance of stress-free ownership, which would be a huge cost as well (I don't even know how much? 5k+ easily I would guess?). The car really does look incredible but is it worth all the pain......? Hmmmm....

Old 02-21-2023, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
No problem. Let them know that Alvin with the F-TYPE sent you. I'm in Irvine.
I will... and I'm in Irvine! Haha. Well... just recently moved from there up to Lake Forest but still basically Irvine. I figured that if you worked for manufacturers then it's probably Irvine, seems that's where they all are. There's a very good chance I've seen your F-Type around and vice versa

Originally Posted by Ftyperegistry
Looks like Velocity Blue Satin Matte. Any good paint shop should be able to properly paint it. I have seen F-Types with SVO Chromoflair type paints like Spectral Red repainted properly which look way harder to do than a satin matte paint. Plus it’s only spoiler right? Even better since it can be easily removed from the car for painting.
Oooooh that adds reassurance too. Yup, literally just on the spoiler panel, easy to remove (I've removed it before, was curious how the motor mechanism worked) and a relatively small panel to paint, just the matching that is the issue I guess. All the other panels looked good when I was checking it out

I'm guessing satin matte paint is a little easier than pure/flat matte paint, since it has a little reflection in it? I have no idea how complex paint finishes work, an entire artform to get lost in...

And yeah I think it is Velocity Blue, build sheet (and door jam) shows 1BQ as the paint code which when I google it, comes up as Velocity Blue:

Old 02-23-2023, 03:55 PM

Quick update for posterity for anyone looking - estimated cost to respray the spoiler from the JLR-approved bodyshop is just over $1200 (and that's "conservative" as it might require a couple sprays to get the finish perfect). Ouchie!

Also got a quote for full PPF with the satin underpaint and matte finish PPF - just over $7500, double ouchie!

Old 02-24-2023, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I used the Jaguar certified shop in Vegas for my Stratus Grey and it came out perfect, drivers side rear quarter. There is a separate shop for LR but I assume they could have done it also. This was one of the original japanese paint colors.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update for posterity for anyone looking - estimated cost to respray the spoiler from the JLR-approved bodyshop is just over $1200 (and that's "conservative" as it might require a couple sprays to get the finish perfect). Ouchie!

Also got a quote for full PPF with the satin underpaint and matte finish PPF - just over $7500, double ouchie!
May I ask if you've test driven this car ?

If so, apparently you have no issues with it, yes ? Totally confident it's a "1 owner" in great condition ?

I've seen this car online and was considering it, especially since I was considering WRAPPING it. I mean, the color looks outrageously good but I'm not taking care of the paint as it NEEDS to be taken care of. Plus, the next owner can be confident the original outrageously great color is totally intact due to the wrapping.

As well, I'm on the east coast where the sales tax is 7% and, although the extra sales tax comes to "only" an extra $2K, that's a hindrance to purchasing it. Just something about that rubs me the wrong way. Most(?) states charge only MY state's sales taxes (7%) on an out-of-state purchase.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:44 PM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't comment much on here.....but that paint is complicated. I used to be the coatings expert at a nuclear power plant, so I have seen tons of different and some of the most exotic coatings out there. One piece of advice is to have a few people look at it for paint match. I would do several test batches. I would let it dry out. Take a look at it in several different lights as well. This is a very professional job. I know it does not help you, but good luck. Also, men and women see colors differently, so get someone from the other gender to review it as well.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by F-Type Wannabe
May I ask if you've test driven this car ?

If so, apparently you have no issues with it, yes ? Totally confident it's a "1 owner" in great condition ?

I've seen this car online and was considering it, especially since I was considering WRAPPING it. I mean, the color looks outrageously good but I'm not taking care of the paint as it NEEDS to be taken care of. Plus, the next owner can be confident the original outrageously great color is totally intact due to the wrapping.

As well, I'm on the east coast where the sales tax is 7% and, although the extra sales tax comes to "only" an extra $2K, that's a hindrance to purchasing it. Just something about that rubs me the wrong way. Most(?) states charge only MY state's sales taxes (7%) on an out-of-state purchase.
I did test drive it (without the dealer too, took my gf and left them my R which they were fine with - the sales advisors actually aren't allowed to drive it because of the value... interesting). It was fine - drove and handled well, pulled fine, no rattles or creaks, gear shifts were smooth and clean under heavy pulls (gear shifts felt better than my 18 actually), no engine noises when idling or when pulling (had windows down). But I did have some concerns, both with the car and with the dealer.

The paint scratch was completely missed until I pointed it out, they took the pictures specifically to crop it out so you can't see it, it's a significant scratch, they are unwilling to do anything about it

The exhaust sounded a bit weird on the drive... I drove it back to back with my 18 which is maybe a little unfair, but even my GF could tell it sounded off. The active exhaust wouldn't work, button flashed whenever I tried to activate it, wouldn't activate with dynamic mode either. I pointed this out to them, they said it's under warranty with JLR so I could get it fixed once I bought it (errr......), they've since apparently taken it to JLR and "fixed" it, I asked them what was wrong with it and they wouldn't say, just that it's fixed. Might've just had fuse 15 pulled but the exhaust sounded really muted so I'd be surprised if it was that, if anything the valves sounded stuck closed. Underneath of the front splitter has a fair bit of loose threads hanging from the rubber bumper suggesting it's been scraped a fair bit but that's what the bumper is for really... it's kind of impossible not to catch it on things. Paint seemed fine apart from that huge scratch. The location of the scratch makes absolutely no sense either, I don't understand how it got there, I kind of wonder if it was something the dealer accidently did

Seats had some black marks on the drivers side headrest that weren't budging (granted I didn't have leather cleaner) - white leather unfortunately!

They replaced 3 of the tires... I asked why 3 and not 4 (kind of weird for 7000 miles too) and they just said "we just replace tires that need replacing". They also replaced either broken wheel studs or a broken wheel hub, it's not clear which - I asked about that and they just said "the service department just replaces what needs replacing". Not necessarily end of the world but all just a little odd...

Also worth remembering it has no sunroof (very dark inside with the extended suede liner) and no climate pack and/or heated/cooled seats, very odd options list, just spent all the money on the paint!

Dealer is just a bit crap too. Nice in-person but useless as soon as I left. Called and emailed several times to try and get those questions answered and got nothing back, just silence. Dealer receptionist eventually called me and asked if I was still interested in the car and if I'd like to test drive again or if there's anything they can do to help get me into the car... I pointed out that the advisor was literally ghosting me so just a reply would maybe be helpful. Receptionist apologized on his behalf (not her fault but was sweet of her) and said she'd go grab him... then said he wasn't there... but promised to get him to call me. Which he eventually did later the next day, with all of the useful non-information above and an unwillingness to budge on price (despite them lowering it a few days previous and it sitting on their lot since November) or willingness to budge on trade-in. He did though, again, point out though that they bought it at trade-in for many thousands more than they were selling it for and they're losing money. Not entirely sure how that's my problem or how that marries up with them offering way under Kelley Blue Book for my trade-in and refusing to budge when they allegedly paid 15k over Kelley Blue Book for the blue one... all just extremely odd

The car does look outrageously good in person though, absolutely sublime, pictures don't even do it justice. But yeah that paint is gonna be a nightmare

Actually... looking again - looks like it's gone, did you grab it?

The following users liked this post:
gg2684 (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 06:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Where are you in Lake Forest? I'm there too, around Baker Ranch. 2021 Fireblue convertible R.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:41 PM

I did test drive it (without the dealer too, took my gf and left them my R which they were fine with - the sales advisors actually aren't allowed to drive it because of the value... interesting). It was fine - drove and handled well, pulled fine, no rattles or creaks, gear shifts were smooth and clean under heavy pulls (gear shifts felt better than my 18 actually), no engine noises when idling or when pulling (had windows down). But I did have some concerns, both with the car and with the dealer.

The paint scratch was completely missed until I pointed it out, they took the pictures specifically to crop it out so you can't see it, it's a significant scratch, they are unwilling to do anything about it

The exhaust sounded a bit weird on the drive... I drove it back to back with my 18 which is maybe a little unfair, but even my GF could tell it sounded off. The active exhaust wouldn't work, button flashed whenever I tried to activate it, wouldn't activate with dynamic mode either. I pointed this out to them, they said it's under warranty with JLR so I could get it fixed once I bought it (errr......), they've since apparently taken it to JLR and "fixed" it, I asked them what was wrong with it and they wouldn't say, just that it's fixed. Might've just had fuse 15 pulled but the exhaust sounded really muted so I'd be surprised if it was that, if anything the valves sounded stuck closed. Underneath of the front splitter has a fair bit of loose threads hanging from the rubber bumper suggesting it's been scraped a fair bit but that's what the bumper is for really... it's kind of impossible not to catch it on things. Paint seemed fine apart from that huge scratch. The location of the scratch makes absolutely no sense either, I don't understand how it got there, I kind of wonder if it was something the dealer accidently did

Seats had some black marks on the drivers side headrest that weren't budging (granted I didn't have leather cleaner) - white leather unfortunately!

They replaced 3 of the tires... I asked why 3 and not 4 (kind of weird for 7000 miles too) and they just said "we just replace tires that need replacing". They also replaced either broken wheel studs or a broken wheel hub, it's not clear which - I asked about that and they just said "the service department just replaces what needs replacing". Not necessarily end of the world but all just a little odd...

Also worth remembering it has no sunroof (very dark inside with the extended suede liner) and no climate pack and/or heated/cooled seats, very odd options list, just spent all the money on the paint!

Dealer is just a bit crap too. Nice in-person but useless as soon as I left. Called and emailed several times to try and get those questions answered and got nothing back, just silence. Dealer receptionist eventually called me and asked if I was still interested in the car and if I'd like to test drive again or if there's anything they can do to help get me into the car... I pointed out that the advisor was literally ghosting me so just a reply would maybe be helpful. Receptionist apologized on his behalf (not her fault but was sweet of her) and said she'd go grab him... then said he wasn't there... but promised to get him to call me. Which he eventually did later the next day, with all of the useful non-information above and an unwillingness to budge on price (despite them lowering it a few days previous and it sitting on their lot since November) or willingness to budge on trade-in. He did though, again, point out though that they bought it at trade-in for many thousands more than they were selling it for and they're losing money. Not entirely sure how that's my problem or how that marries up with them offering way under Kelley Blue Book for my trade-in and refusing to budge when they allegedly paid 15k over Kelley Blue Book for the blue one... all just extremely odd

The car does look outrageously good in person though, absolutely sublime, pictures don't even do it justice. But yeah that paint is gonna be a nightmare

Actually... looking again - looks like it's gone, did you grab it?

I came here just now to ask you the same thing. I just noticed it was gone as well.

Thanks for all the info anyway. Saved me some aggravation with the dealer,,,,,,,, not to mention 3% sales tax.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:37 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Who changes 3 wheels! The dealer really trying to skimp. When the 4th wheel goes you would have had to buy 2 new wheels so makes no sense. Who would risk having 1 odd wheel in a performance car anyways

Old 03-03-2023, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ToysARs
Where are you in Lake Forest? I'm there too, around Baker Ranch. 2021 Fireblue convertible R.
I'm literally in Baker Ranch, haha, what is this bizarrely small world! I've never seen/heard your car, is it for sale? :P

I'll pop you a PM when I get a sec, always good to know other F-Type locals

Originally Posted by F-Type Wannabe

I came here just now to ask you the same thing. I just noticed it was gone as well.

Thanks for all the info anyway. Saved me some aggravation with the dealer,,,,,,,, not to mention 3% sales tax.
Of course! Gotta look out for each other. And yeah it was still there Wednesday night so must've disappeared this morning, I had a missed call from them at the end of yesterday but it only rang once, maybe to say it was gone. It had been on their lot since last November if memory serves so either someone saw it and took it on the spot (they said they had no other interest), or they've just sent it off to Manheim, suspect maybe the latter... see if it shows up elsewhere next week! I hope it wasn't somebody buying it without seeing it in-person... if I bought it and it arrived with that damage, I'd be sending it straight back!

Originally Posted by Borbor
Who changes 3 wheels! The dealer really trying to skimp. When the 4th wheel goes you would have had to buy 2 new wheels so makes no sense. Who would risk having 1 odd wheel in a performance car anyways
Yup, exactly why I asked them. Just really odd, unless something happened to damage 3 of them... but then that'd be even more concerning

Old 03-03-2023, 09:44 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

the wing isnt a big concern, the dealer is the main concern here. you can always repaint the wing and satin xpel stealth ppf the whole car and youll never notice any paint imperfections.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:33 AM

Of course! Gotta look out for each other. And yeah it was still there Wednesday night so must've disappeared this morning, I had a missed call from them at the end of yesterday but it only rang once, maybe to say it was gone. It had been on their lot since last November if memory serves so either someone saw it and took it on the spot (they said they had no other interest), or they've just sent it off to Manheim, suspect maybe the latter... see if it shows up elsewhere next week! I hope it wasn't somebody buying it without seeing it in-person... if I bought it and it arrived with that damage, I'd be sending it straight back!

From the department of "What goes 'round,,,,,,,,,,"

It's back again on Autotrader, now showing as "Newly Listed" of course. Same dealer iirc. And I think same price ~$75K. And since I haven't yet pulled the trigger,,,,,,,,

If you take a look at it, there's a pretty good/clean pic of the rear spoiler and I don't see a scratch at all, never mind a deep one. Maybe they did fix it ?

an unwillingness to budge on price (despite them lowering it a few days previous and it sitting on their lot since November) or willingness to budge on trade-in. He did though, again, point out though that they bought it at trade-in for many thousands more than they were selling it for and they're losing money. Not entirely sure how that's my problem or how that marries up with them offering way under Kelley Blue Book for my trade-in and refusing to budge when they allegedly paid 15k over Kelley Blue Book for the blue one... all just extremely odd
Not odd at all. Business as usual. ~90%, and I might be being kind with that number, of all car salespeople are just so full of ****, pure and simple. It's kinda sorta part of the deal for selling anything; to mislead, and sometimes out-and-out lie, so long as they put money in their own pockets. But still, out-and-out lying to people really rubs me the wrong way.

Plenty of times I've said to them "But KBB says trade-in for my car is $X and you're only offering me $X-5,000 ? And the inevitable reply is "No dealer uses KBB. Their prices are ALWAYS unrealistically HIGH". But of course, when they're advertising THEIR cars they ALWAYS quote KBB - you know, to show what a great deal the buyer's getting.

Quick Reply: Repairing SVO custom satin paint?