F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Battery in F type myself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replace Battery in F type myself?

Is it possible to replace the battery in my 2014 F type V8S myself? Or is there a reprogramming step that needs to be done by the Dealer.
I know that was the case with my BMW. The BMW dealer had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery.
thanks...Richard

Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by mecheng1
Is it possible to replace the battery in my 2014 F type V8S myself? Or is there a reprogramming step that needs to be done by the Dealer.
I know that was the case with my BMW. The BMW dealer had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery.
thanks...Richard
It's simple to replace the battery yourself, but if you want the ECO stop/start feature to still work, you will need the dealer to use their laptop to sync the battery to the ECO system. For most folks, it's a blessing if ECO is disabled.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
David Meier (05-17-2021), mecheng1 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's simple to replace the battery yourself, but if you want the ECO stop/start feature to still work, you will need the dealer to use their laptop to sync the battery to the ECO system. For most folks, it's a blessing if ECO is disabled.
could you explain this "sync" process please, I can't understand why any reset should be necessary.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:22 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

From OzXFR's shop manual...
If a new primary battery is fitted to the vehicle, the BMS control
module will require re-calibrating using a Jaguar approved diagnostic
system.
Others here have commented that this isn't really necessary.

See section 414-01 in this 490MB document, for more than you want to know about the battery system, for both 1- and 2-battery cars...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2hfjv7bas...anual.pdf?dl=0

The following users liked this post:
mvining (02-10-2024)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
could you explain this "sync" process please, I can't understand why any reset should be necessary.
Since the car has a battery management system, I suspect the sync is doing nothing more than calibrating the exact voltage output from the battery when fully charged to determine whether or not it needs a charge at any point in time. If it is determined that the battery needs a charge, then the ECO will not cut the engine when the car stops. If a similar battery is used as a replacement, no syncing would be required. In my case, I used a lithium battery and the syncing was required.

Don1954 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Since the car has a battery management system, I suspect the sync is doing nothing more than calibrating the exact voltage output from the battery when fully charged to determine whether or not it needs a charge at any point in time. If it is determined that the battery needs a charge, then the ECO will not cut the engine when the car stops. If a similar battery is used as a replacement, no syncing would be required. In my case, I used a lithium battery and the syncing was required.
Do you think that this calibration would also be necessary if you disconnected the eco battery for a while and then decide to connect it back up?

Old 09-18-2018, 06:43 PM

Thanks so much Unhingd for your speedy response! As you say, defeating the stop/start function would be a blessing. I hate that thing. Do you know off hand if they employ a second battery for that feature or does the main battery support that useless feature. I don't drive my F type too often and yesterday we started off on a 100 mile journey. The Nav/audio/etc main display was very faint, also none of the functions, radio, audio, Nav etc worked. I stopped for gas after about 5 miles, still not working. However, 100 miles later when I restarted the car it all came back. That, together with the fact that the battery in my 2014 is the original suggested to me that perhaps it has some low/fluctuation voltage that messes with the Nav system, but still starts the car. Any thoughts.

Also, looking at the mods on your F type I may be hitting you up on this forum in the future. My track car, ( Roebling Rd, Palm Beach Intl, Homestead, Daytona, SEbring) has been a BMW 135 M sport with Dinan Stage 2 tune. I am very tempted, after getting rid of the BMW to track my F type and will be researching what mods I may have to make, if any. I'm brand new to this Forum as of today, and thank you again.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

On the '14 and '15 models start stop has its own battery. If you open the lower rear compartment where the main battery is, you should be able to see the 2nd battery that is for the start stop feature. That battery can be disconneced by removing the ground cable, or better yet, remove it and the 15+lbs it adds to the car.

More importantly, since you may plan to track the car and apparently need a new battery anyways, look into the thread about the lithium battery upgrade for the main battery - switching to that and removing the start stop battery removed an unecessary 58 lbs of weight from the car. Many of us have done it with great results.

Likely your radio and sat problems were a function of a low battery, it can cause a host of problems with those systems. Luckily, once voltage is restored, you should not have any lasting ill effects.

Last edited by Chawumba; 09-18-2018 at 07:09 PM.
mecheng1 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
On the '14 and '15 models start stop has its own battery. If you open the lower rear compartment where the main battery is, you should be able to see the 2nd battery that is for the start stop feature. That battery can be disconneced by removing the ground cable, or better yet, remove it and the 15+lbs it adds to the car.

More importantly, since you may plan to track the car and apparently need a new battery anyways, look into the thread about the lithium battery upgrade for the main battery - switching to that and removing the start stop battery removed an unecessary 58 lbs of weight from the car. Many of us have done it with great results.

Likely your radio and sat problems were a function of a low battery, it can cause a host of problems with those systems. Luckily, once voltage is restored, you should not have any lasting ill effects.
Great Information! Thanks so much...Richard

Old 09-18-2018, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba

Just a quick question, is there a preferred lithium battery brand that we should install in our cars?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Antigravity RS-30 is one many of us have used with good results. Approximately 50% more than the factory lead battery, so its not cheap, but very light, easy to swap in, plenty of power, and the reserve button in the event of discharge is nice. Very long thread about lithium group buy on this forum, we only saved $30 with the group buy vs. regular ebay price, so you didn't miss out.

mecheng1 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

+1 to everything Chawumba said.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info.
So assuming I may not want to go the lithium battery route, does anyone have any information/experience on what it would cost to have the Dealer install a direct replacement.?
. And any comments on aftermarket batteries such as at Autozone, , Advance Auto, Costco , etc. thank you.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

The battery monitoring device which is the module that is bolted to the negative battery cable at the terminal monitors battery voltages for proper charging and functionality. Anytime a battery is replaced either the main or the secondary the we use the jaguar laptop(sdd) to reset the system so it knows a new battery is installed. As far as autozone etc i recommend interstate batteries. They always test above the cold cranking amps unlike many others on the market and you can get them across the us with a great warranty.
And yes leavingthe eco battery disconnected just sets a fault and disables the system. See many of them disabled by owners

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
mecheng1 (09-20-2018), Prewdent (03-29-2020)
Old 09-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
The battery monitoring device which is the module that is bolted to the negative battery cable at the terminal monitors battery voltages for proper charging and functionality. Anytime a battery is replaced either the main or the secondary the we use the jaguar laptop(sdd) to reset the system so it knows a new battery is installed. As far as autozone etc i recommend interstate batteries. They always test above the cold cranking amps unlike many others on the market and you can get them across the us with a great warranty.
And yes leavingthe eco battery disconnected just sets a fault and disables the system. See many of them disabled by owners
Longshot question but I'll ask anyways. Do you know if the secondary battery is disconnected in a 2015 if you lose the window and radio function when the ignition is turned off. Usually there is a delay or the radio shuts down when you open a door. Mine is instant off when I turn off the motor but I've got the start/stop secondary disconnected.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BOulderGT3
Longshot question but I'll ask anyways. Do you know if the secondary battery is disconnected in a 2015 if you lose the window and radio function when the ignition is turned off. Usually there is a delay or the radio shuts down when you open a door. Mine is instant off when I turn off the motor but I've got the start/stop secondary disconnected.
Mine doesn't. My secondary battery is disconnected and nothing changed except for the start/stop
I don't even have an error message.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Mine doesn't. My secondary battery is disconnected and nothing changed except for the start/stop
I don't even have an error message.
+1. The ECO battery is only used to start the engine during an ECO stop/start cycle.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

According to the service manual, the start/stop battery powers the rest of the car, while the main battery starts the engine. (Yeah, I'm nitpicking. )

The dual battery system isolates all electrical components and
systems sensitive to low supply voltage from the primary battery
while an engine start is in progress, and supplies them from the
secondary battery. Without the dual battery system, the electrical
power required by the Tandem Solenoid Starter (TSS) motor to crank
the engine for each start would cause a voltage drop across the entire
vehicle electrical network, and cause control modules to function
incorrectly and in some cases reset and/or record DTCs.

If the dual battery system is unable to prevent electrical supplies to
the vehicle systems being subjected to low voltage levels during
engine stop/start operations, due to the condition of the primary and
/or secondary batteries or a system fault, the stop/start feature is
disabled.

Last edited by DJS; 09-20-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
According to the service manual, the start/stop battery powers the rest of the car, while the main battery starts the engine. (Yeah, I'm nitpicking. )
You are not nitpicking. That actually makes more sense than what I said. I got it backwards.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:18 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I was wondering how start/stop works in 1-battery cars. I guessed maybe they use a supercapacitor to hold up the power bus, but Maxwell sells an 'ultracapacitor' which they say is used to start the engine while the main battery powers the rest of the car. That's one big capacitor...
Maxwell Technologies Start/Stop Transportation Solutions

Quick Reply: Replace Battery in F type myself?