Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip 1600 miles total round trip F TYPE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Two major downsides on the run flats.
1. They add a substantial amount of unsprung weight detracting from both handling and performance.
2. The additional sidewall stiffness necessary to support the car will make for a much harsher ride.

Goop destroying tires is not a universal constant. Applied correctly in the right amount, at the proper pressure, the tire warmed up right away to avoid pooling and used just long enough to get to the tire shop, the tire should be salvageable if the puncture is at least 1” from the sidewall and it is cleaned well inside. There may be an issue with the tire sensors, but that’s not a certainty. I’ve successfully used goop on tires that worked just fine after they were patched. Never had a spare for my MINI over the past 17 years.
And yes, always carry a cell phone and a AAA Plus card. Always responsive. Can actually track the tow truck on their app.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I bought this and am getting a Dewalt portable tire inflator as it has three options for power and I can use it around the house.

Amazon Amazon

Also, on the tire rack hazard warranty: I was supposed to have the dealer preapprove the replacement, but they are honoring the claim after discussing with dealer and getting detailed information. If you happen to need to use the warranty, have who ever is replacing contact them first (if they are open), and document the tire damage with a photo. They do not want the installer to throw the tire out till they can verify the claim. Regardless they are mailing me a check for the tire. Not sure if they are prorating, but the tire only had 3,000 miles on it. They said I was eligible for an amount up to the full cost of the original tire. I had to provide my Road Hazard number from the tire rack invoice, but I had all of that in a file, so wasn't difficult and the paid receipt. Again, shout out to Rochester (NY) Jaguar as they were extremely helpful in getting this resolved quickly. Wasn't really much of an issue to get the coverage even without the preapproval, but next time I will follow the rules closer.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (07-19-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

@ Uncle Fishbits:

My 3 experiences with JLR roadside (covered by warranty) have all been very good, but I have had no experiences being on the side of the road. One is after owning the car for a week and the battery died in the driveway. Second was when a ground was bad an electrical went haywire intermittently (not predictable and thus not safe to drive, flatbed required). Third was flat tire in a parking lot. The first two calls were from my house. Second from a sunny parking lot (see above story).

My newly formed rules:

First and foremost be safe:
2. Get educated (this forum is a great help)
3. Be prepared (with more than one avenue of help, including self help).
4. Execute plans using common sense.

I have State Farm AAA and am now questioning it's worth. After calling JLR roadside, I called my wife who reminded me we had it. Tracking down your info to see if we have the same garbage. One of the reasons I went JLR as I knew the car would be safe from damage to the rim from and poorly trained local tire shop; one who wouldn't touch it and two who were under duress from pre-holiday work. I would have had to drive the car on 26 lbs and hope it would hold. I decided against the goop as I too thought the chance of repair would be negated. Also, being a screw, close to the sidewall wasn't sure it would even work, again worried about damage to my new forged two piece wheels.

Now after making the first step decision correctly last week (safety first), I am getting educated and prepared. Roadside kit in hand and 3 way powered inflator in route. After JLR roadside runs out, I will need to reassess. Possible that if the State Farm is decent, I could have car taken to a more local place than my dealer, but again trust level with my wheels is a concern.

Run flats are not the best, in my opinion. One of my business partners had a flat about 100 miles from home and not a run flat to be found and not easily repaired. Unhinged spelled out other reasons. Not to say that my 265's and 305's are handy, but my dealer found one immediately.

Best case, you are lucky and no flat tires. Worst case, you are stranded on the side of the road in violent storm with no help in site. Maybe some harsh weather gear and a backpack to hole up for the night. No cell service would really suck.Orange warning trinagles, emergency flashers to go back to step 1 while hopefully the cavalry is in route from a good Samaritan. If you had a good thumb and some fortitude you could try hitching a ride. If you have cell service, UBER out of there for help.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Jaguny and Unhingd.... as always, thank you.

1) After your comments and extensive research, it's obvious that run flats are not ready for prime-time, are a novel tech, and roundly hated. I would say there was one isolated blog that loved them, and it was a woman's blog that was arguing "yes, all that, but piece of mind for me in the middle of nowhere", which is just about the only argument that makes sense. They're just bad.

But

2) I know I read somewhere in the tire literature that the Michelin Sport 4S are strong enough that you can run on a flat without damaging the wheel. Not at speed, but to get off the side of the road. My sidewall blowout had that experience.... it was amazing how that flat felt vs other cars that I've experienced in my lifetime. I tried looking for the mention, and now I am seriously doubting I ever read this. LOL Anecdotally, I was able to get about .5 miles at 0 PSI to get off the dangerous highway shoulder... It felt stable, and not much different from normal, honestly. Even when it blew out and I was pulling over while watching the PSI monitor rapidly decrease. "Ohhhhh that's not good". I was *prepared* for potential damage to get us off this mountain roadway. No damage to rim or anything. Yay.

3) Low profile tires... are they ruining the moden car?
https://jalopnik.com/low-profile-tir...ars-1836309462

4) I can't get over how cool these airless tires seem.
(And I'm sure the handling is top notch /s)
https://newatlas.com/michelin-gm-upt...ss-tire/60004/
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/04/...ess-tire-test/

I'm likely ditching State Farm's 3rd party roadside assistance, and signing up for AAA. You get 4 200-mile tows a year. That's CRAZY town... I could have gotten towed to my local freaking tire shop.
Any limitations with AAA that would make one consider Jag Land Rover assistance? I probably wouldn't choose to afford it.
WAIT A MINUTE??? We have it with our warranty? https://www.jaguarusa.com/owners/ser...ssistance.html
All of us under warranty have roadside assistance? How do I make those buttons above my head work?

Old 07-19-2019, 01:29 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I expect in a roadside situation you are still jacking the car, pulling wheel/tire in order to install the plug?
Of the 4 nails i've picked up in 10 months (all separate occasions), the repair shop fixed them with the wheel on the car in 3 of the cases. Why my rear tires are magnets for nails I don't know. Luckily, when I see the low PSI indicator I take it to my service guy, so I have never been left sitting. I do need to learn how to plug a tire myself, it is $20 each time.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Just following up on my flat tire experience. My check arrived yesterday covering the full (original) cost of my 305 4S rear tire purchased from tire rack. I had only 3K miles on it so they must not have prorated the wear. I know have the Dewalt portable inflator in hand. Prepared for future flats.